• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

What's up with this, Canadians?

BiteMeElmo

Cyburbian
Wow, that's quite the incentive! Where do I sign?

It would be a slap in the face to be "rewarded" with a (ugh) Harvey's burger.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Don't even get me started on Air Canada and the Canadian airline industry... *grumble, grumble*

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Gee...I bet that did wonders for the morale of Air Canada staff - it will probably send them to new heights of surliness. Actually, now that I think about it, it probably is an appropriate reward given the level of service they usually provide.

BiteMeElmo said:

It would be a slap in the face to be "rewarded" with a (ugh) Harvey's burger.
I have to disagree - Harvey's is the best Fast food burger in Canada, IMHO. Especially their veggie burgers.

donk

Cyburbian
The lack of service and expensive fares are why I am flying canjet this weekend.

Over $200 cheaper round trip.

At least the reward was not swiss chalet.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Maybe Harvey's is better in Toronto. I have only eaten there once (admittedly, at an airport) and the prospect of another burger from there would not be a reward. Yuck.

At this point I'm sure Air Canada employees are just happy that they still have a job.

H

Cyburbian
Trying to push the hamburgers, you guys really want to be Americans don’t you? What’s next Thanksgiving and 4th of July? ;)

nerudite

Cyburbian
H said:
Trying to push the hamburgers, you guys really want to be Americans don’t you? What’s next Thanksgiving and 4th of July? ;)
There is thanksgiving up here... it's just earlier (since harvest time is earlier). Thanksgiving was *so* one month ago. ;)

nerudite

Cyburbian
SlaveToTheGrind said:
So what are the complaints with Air Canada?
Air Canada has terrible service and high prices (which are doubly exacerbated by the inane federal tax structure up here when it comes to airfares). Just about any domestic carrier is way overpriced, and that is mostly due to no big competitors. It costs hundreds of dollars to fly from Edmonton to Vacouver, which is a short one hour flight, with up to a 50% tax.

Here is an example... two months in advance from Edmonton to Vancouver:

Fare Summary
Departing airfare $119.00
Returning airfare $119.00
Total Airfare $238.00
Navcan and Surcharges 58.00
Canada Airport Improvement Fee 15.00
Taxes
Canada Security Charge 13.08
Canada Goods and Service Tax 22.69
Number of Passengers 1
Total 346.77

So there are approx $108 in fees and taxes which amounts to a 45% mark up in the airfare. Drives me nuts!

Or... to drive this home even further...

From Edmonton to Calgary:

Fare Summary
Departing airfare (Tango) Rules** 66.00
Returning airfare (Tango) Rules** 65.00
Airfare 131.00
Navcan and Surcharges 38.00
Canada Airport Improvement Fee 27.00
Taxes
Canada Security Charge 13.08
Canada Goods and Service Tax 14.64
Number of Passengers 1
Total 223.72
Grand Total (Canadian Dollars) 223.72

70% mark up. Gee... wonder why the travel industry suffers so!

H

Cyburbian
nerudite said:
There is thanksgiving up here... it's just earlier (since harvest time is earlier). Thanksgiving was *so* one month ago. ;)
Interesting. We should learn more about Canada in school. Every gringo in the US gets smashed on tequila in honor of our southern neighbors, Mexico’ s, victory over a France army platoon on ‘Cinco de Mayo’, but I don’t think I know a single Canadian tradition. Most Americans can tell you what Mexican food is, but I have never seen a Canadian restaurant. Most of us know Mexican slang like “hey ese” and “su madre”, but I have never heard any Canadian slang.

Tell us more; we need more excuse to celebrate (especially if you have any after the new year when things get dreary and dull). :-D

donk

Cyburbian
Here are the facts you need to know.

Holidays
1) Easter Monday is a statutory holiday. woo hoo 4 day weekend to drink beer.
2) Victoria Day is affectionately referred to as May 2-4. For the amount of beer you are expected to drink.
3) Canada Day - July 1. A pale comparison to 4th of July, but we try, and drink beer.
4) August Civic Weekend. Reason to drink beer.
5) Labour Day - reason to drink beer
6) Thanksgiving - first monday of october, close the cottage up, have a turkey and drink beer.
7) Remembrance Day - Nov 11. Too solemn of day, to drink beer.
8) Boxing Day - day after christmas, to recover from drinking beer.

On food

1) Nanaimo Bars
2) Butter Tarts
3) Fiddle Heads
4) Poutine
5) Rye
6) Beer.

Any questions?

Last edited:

nerudite

Cyburbian
Don't forget the affinity for weird flavours of potato chips.

This little site about Canada and canadianisms is pretty good...

donk

Cyburbian
nerudite said:
Don't forget the affinity for weird flavours of potato chips.

nerudite, nerudite, nerudite, if you keep speaking this way you'll never get your land immigrant staus or qualify for citizenship. ;)

At one point in time there were grape flavour as well.

I forgot one other great canadian traditon, well at least in the maritimes - Pogie (EI). Work 13 weeks, earn some money, get laid off and have the government provide you with time and money to drink beer for 39 weeks.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
H said:
...Most Americans can tell you what Mexican food is, but I have never seen a Canadian restaurant. ...
Bugaboo Creek Steakhouses the taste of the Canadian Rockies. In the northeast and Georgia (but not Canada oddly enough). They're good . . . uh, I mean down with corporate chains! ;)

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
donk said:

On food

1) Nanaimo Bars

Any questions?
What is a Nanaimo Bar? I knew a girl from there while I was in school.

Google and ye shall receive...

According to local legend about 35 years ago, a Nanaimo housewife entered her recipe for chocolate squares in a magazine contest. In a burst of civic pride, she chose to dub the entry not "Daphne's Delights" or "Mary's Munchies", but "Nanaimo Bars". The entry won a prize, thereby publishing the town as much as her cooking. Some American tourists claim sovereignty over the dessert, referred to as "New York Slice" which is sold in many other places in the world. Nanaimo residents refuse to accept this theory, however, believing that once you set foot on Vancouver Island, there are no other places in the world. The official Nanaimo Bar recipe was available as a handout as well as on quality tea towel and apron souvenirs.

In 1986, Nanaimo Mayor Graeme Roberts, in conjunction with Harbour Park Mall, initiated a contest to find the ultimate Nanaimo Bar Recipe. During the four-week long contest, almost 100 different variations of the famous confectionery were submitted. The winner: Joyce Hardcastle.

I want a Nanaimo Bar...

BiteMeElmo

Cyburbian
donk said:
Here are the facts you need to know.

1) Nanaimo Bars
2) Butter Tarts
3) Fiddle Heads
4) Poutine
5) Rye
6) Beer.

Any questions?
You forgot bear claws (or maybe it's paws, I guess I forgot too)