• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Hi there! 👋 What's Up?

Just wanted to Say Hi. I'm an aspiring planner (just finished my first year of graduate school) living in Spokane, Washington. Great Forum!

nerudite

Cyburbian
Best nickname I've seen in awhile! I was wondering if you stole it from Office Space, and then saw your avatar so I guess I don't need to ask. :-D

Welcome to the forums!

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Welcome from the bottom of Lake Michigan(kind of)!!!!

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Welcome.... and I ummm I am going to need you to work on Saturday, yeah..ummm

Budgie

Cyburbian
PLEASE, NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO --- DON'T TAKE COMMENTS ON THIS BOARD PERSONAL !!! Otherwise enjoy yourself, at my expense. Welcome, from the city where a cop was beheaded in the line of duty.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
You didn't get that memo about the TPS Reports?
OK. This is getting really out of hand, There's an INSANE amount of web traffic coming here from Google under the words "TPS report" — under which I am hit numero dos.

ALLOW ME TO EXPLAIN FOR THOSE SEARCHING SOULS OUT THERE WHAT A TPS REPORT IS, BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT YOU'VE COME HERE FOR, RIGHT? HERE IS YOUR MEMO ON THAT TPS REPORT. KNOW IT WELL.

A "TPS Report" is a term used in the Mike Judge movie, "Office Space." This happens in one of the first couple of scenes in the movie where Peter Gibbons, our protagonist in this story, actually gets to his slave-cubicle of a desk after a particularly frustrating hellish commute. It is insinuated that this deathly slow commute happens daily, and suppose that our main character, wonders why he puts himself through this kind of monotony on a daily basis.

Upon entering his Dilbert nightmare of an office, he is subjected to the everyday mundaness of his existance as an office worker for a tech company. The office sounds that he finds himself surrounded by drive him crazy. All his cubicle neighbors nurse particularly annoying idiosyncrasies, and his boss is all over his gonads.

The 411: TPS reports don't really exist, all you people out there. It is a writing device that many writers use, and it's called a METAPHOR. They exist for the sake of the movie regardless of the actual name. What a "TPS Report" symbolizes is that "thing" that you were supposed to do but didn't, and in the midst of botched office communication, you somehow ended up the last to know, making you look like the ass. And regardless of whether or not you may have forgotten or skipped over it in human error, what actually happened doesn't really matter.

A TPS report could encompass anything within it, although within the context of the movie we don't know what it includes. There could be inane pie graphs and charts and all these boring statistics. But what it contains is not important.

What was Peter supposed to do? Bottom line, he was supposed to put a cover sheet on the TPS report because management sent around an office memo.

TPS Reports could be ANYTHING. They're a metaphor for mundane, retarded American office culture and intraoffice communication niceties, for freak's sakes. If you still don't understand, I suggest two things so you understand the plight of the American office worker/cubicle slave. Get a job that crushes your spirit and all of the dreams you once had and you'll DEFINITELY understand what a "TPS Report" is. Second, you have the very honor of naming your nemesis whatever you want.

And with that, I have a couple of stupid buzzwords to say:
Downsize. Restructure. Dynamic. Fundamental. Paradigm. Did I miss any? I'm sure I did.

Taken from:http://www.agendacide.com/minutes/archives/000530.php

BTW welcome to our ever expanding cubicle called Cyburbia.

Rem

Cyburbian
Hello and welcome.

JNA said:
Downsize....
Tut, tut JNA, I think Rightsize was the word you were looking for. ;-) Don't want no negative vibe entering the workplace when the sackings start.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Welcome from the hilly part of the Hoosier State. I've just been handed four TPS reports to complete before noon-- and as the newbie, I'm giving them to you so you can get a feel for the work ;-)

SGB

Cyburbian
Oh, great. Just what we need - another perspiring planner. ;-)

Welcome from central NY state, where summer has apparently already come and gone.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Welcome from the Sunshine State (formerly across the boarder from you in Idaho). :b:

Thanks

Thank you for the welcome and your love for Office Space. That movie is definitely on the top five...the gangsta music video while smashing the fax machine was the best! As a lowly student assistant I feel like I'm writing "TPS" reports all day...when does the real fun of planning begin :)

otterpop

Cyburbian
Welcome from the Queen City of the Rockies. Nice to see another interior northwester here.

spokanite

Cyburbian
What the?

TPSreport said:
Just wanted to Say Hi. I'm an aspiring planner (just finished my first year of graduate school) living in Spokane, Washington. Great Forum!
Hey TPSreport-This is crazy!
I'm living in Spokane, I'm an aspiring planner, and I just finished my first year of graduate school...

I think we know eachother...gimme a hint.

Spokanite
:-D

The Inland Empire

Hmmm...I thought I could slip under the radar. Last I checked you do not live in Spokane:) Thanks for sharing the site with me. With the amount of hours I spend in the design studio I need something to fill my time.

Lataz,

TPS