• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

What's wrong with the Southern Hemisphere?

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Huston and Skeleton's exchange in another thread got me thinking. As we normal people in the Northern Hemisphere are preparing for the onset of winter, people on the underside of the world are going into summer. They will likely be celebrating New Year's Day with a barbecue. As if being two seasons behind were not enough, they have that clockwise water-flushing thing, too. What gives? Is all of this because they live upside down and the blood rushed to their heads?

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Cardinal said:
. As we normal people in the Northern Hemisphere are preparing for the onset of winter, people on the underside of the world are going into summer. They will likely be celebrating New Year's Day with a barbecue.
This would be Florida, too! BBQ's at X-mas and New Year's are common here. (Sorry, Yankees)

H

Cyburbian
Re: Re: What's wrong with the Southern Hemisphere?

Zoning Goddess said:
This would be Florida, too! BBQ's at X-mas and New Year's are common here. (Sorry, Yankees)
Yes, I too (in FLA) am looking forward to that dip in the outdoor pool after the Thanksgiving dinner nap ;)

*I am alos sorry, yankees*

Last edited:

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
What is this Summer you speak of? Just because you're in fall now in the NH, it doesn't mean I'm in spring right here... Actually we only have like 2 months worth of "summer" .We're lucky if we even reach 30ºC at least one day in "summer". The rest of the year it's rain all the way.
Yeah we try to make BBQ's for the pseudo independence day in September here (18th), but it's usually raining (you can bet that this year it was...). Sunny christmas anyone? Pray for one here..
It's "spring" already and I am still dressing with winter clothes...
Well at least I'm not burried each year with snow :p and so what that my toilet turns the other way? It's not like I'm gonna make a machine to make it flow the other way (The Simpson's reference).

I'm about to start a Why Bolivia is going to Hell thread.. but what gives... I don't actually care much if they prefer to stay poor and resentfull about wars that happened over 100 years ago, rather than take a nice ticket out of poverty with this Gas deal.

The Irish One

Well at least I'm not burried each year with snow and so what that my toilet turns the other way? It's not like I'm gonna make a machine to make it flow the other way (The Simpson's reference).
And what a great reference!

I'm about to start a Why Bolivia is going to Hell thread..
By all means, please do. But I think a better one would be Why Colombia won't get out of hell.