• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

What's your annoying sticky song?

nerudite

Cyburbian
I was just put on hold while calling the local utility company, and I was forced to listen to that muzak on the phone. Normally I just tune it out and go about my business, but this time my all-time worst sticky song was on the phone. You know, the stupid song that you hear four bars of and then you can't get the damn thing out of your head for the next two days. For me, it's the 867-5309 Jenny song. I hate that song... and it's around still more than you would think. I think it's even worse for me right now because my next door neighbor's name is Jenny, and then I start singing things for the rest of the day that relate to her like "Jenny, Jenny you've got a dumb dog" or "Jenny, Jenny turn off your porch light."

So now it will be in my head *all day long*. Dumb muzak!

So what's your "Jenny?"

Habanero

Cyburbian
Today it's the Kung Fu Fighting song- James makes the dog look like he's karate chopping everything and even makes him dance to that song.. It's sad, I feel really bad for the dog- but it's just so damn funny to see him unwillingly "hiiiii-YAH". :)

kms

Cyburbian
My daughter sings this:
"I KNOW A SONG THAT GETS ON EVERYBODY'S NERVES, AND THIS IS HOW IT GOES.. (repeat, repeat, repeat until your dad yells at you). It is my sticky song of the day.

At an old job, we would try to "plant" sticky songs in everyone's head.

statler

Cyburbian
Windy
The Association
(Ruthann Friedman)

Who's peekin' out from under a stairway
Calling a name that's lighter than air
Who's bending down to give me a rainbow
Everyone knows it's Windy

Who's tripping down the streets of the city
Smilin' at everybody she sees
Who's reachin' out to capture a moment

And Windy has stor-my eyes
That flash at the sound of lies
And Windy has wings to fly
Above the clouds (above the clouds)

------ flute ------

And Windy has stor-my eyes
That flash at the sound of lies
And Windy has wings to fly

Who's tripping down the streets of the city
Smilin' at everybody she sees
Who's reachin' out to capture a moment
[repeat and fade]

The worst part is I used to work with a girl name Windy. I AWAYS had that song stuck in my head!

Jeff

Cyburbian
21st Century (Digital Boy) -- Bad Religion

Every time I hear it I sing it for days. So of course I had to put it on just now.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Oh - Rickey - You're so fine....

Back in Desert Storm we would wander around our unit's encampment area humming songs to see if we could implant them in someone's brain. They in turn would then start humming. It was hilarious. In the desert no one remembers your name. By being totally isolated from the big media outlets you find your mind fixates on simple patterns and tunes. Implanting and using pesticides in new and exciting ways were our main leisure activites. Oh' what fun

Tom's Diner by Suzanne Vega, Rob and I keep giving it back and forth to each other. Just when I've stopped singing it, at breakfast rob will come up from his shower singing it. dammit.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I discovered the ultimate sticky song some 25 years ago, when forced to watch the Jerry Lewis Labor Day Weekend Telethon. When shared with friends, they all admit that the tune sticks with them as well ... not in a good way.

Yup, I discovered it. The first universal can't-get-it-out-of-your-head song.

Ready? Be forewarned.

Sure?

Okay ... you asked for it. Hit it, Sammy ...

Who can take a sunrise, sprinkle it with dew
Cover it with choc'late and a miracle or two
The Candy Man, oh the Candy Man can
The Candy Man can 'cause he mixes it with love and makes the world taste good

Who can take a rainbow, wrap it in a sigh
Soak it in the sun and make a groovy lemon pie
The Candy Man, the Candy Man can

The Candy Man makes everything he bakes satisfying and delicious
Now you talk about your childhood wishes, you can even eat the dishes

Oh, who can take tomorrow, dip it in a dream
Separate the sorrow and collect up all the cream
The Candy Man, oh the Candy Man can

The Candy Man makes everything he bakes satisfying and delicious
Talk about your childhood wishes, you can even eat the dishes

Yeah, yeah, yeah
Who can take tomorrow, dip it in a dream
Separate the sorrow and collect up all the cream
The Candy Man, the Candy Man can
Yes, the Candy Man can 'cause he mixes it with love and makes the world taste good
a-Candy Man, a-Candy Man, a-Candy Man
Candy Man, a-Candy Man, a-Candy Man
Candy Man, a-Candy Man, a-Candy Man

Journeymouse

Cyburbian
Ace of Base "Always Have, Always Will". t's the old fashioned backing bit ("Do do-do do do do-do") that gets stuck in my head. It's also very catchy. I managed to get a lab full of people (about 50) singing it within 1 hour once....

statler

Cyburbian
Tom's The MAN!

It's Not Unusual .

It's not unusual to be loved by anyone

It's not unusual to have fun with anyone

but when I see you hanging about with anyone

It's not unusual to see me cry,

oh I wanna' die

It's not unusual to go out at any time

but when I see you out and about it's such a crime

if you should ever want to be loved by anyone,

It's not unusual it happens every day no matter what you say

you find it happens all the time

love will never do what you want it to

why can't this crazy love be mine

It's not unusual, to be mad with anyone

It's not unusual, to be sad with anyone

but if I ever find that you've changed at anytime

it's not unusual to find out that I'm in love with you

whoa-oh-oh-oh-oh

nerudite

Cyburbian
Another song that gets stuck in my head is Cake's Sheep Go to Heaven, Goats Go to Hell. Just those two lines over and over and over and over again. Argggh.

But yeah, Dan, the candy man is sticky. Although TexasPlanner's bomb saddam song was pretty sticky there too for awhile.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
One song that always sticks in my head is that Vengaboys - We Like To Party. If I hear that song, it is in my head for days.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Lately its a techno song by Darude - "Sandstorm" but in general, its Manillow's "Lola".

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
"Party Hard" by Andrew WK...it's the song that plays everytime I startup Madden 2003 on my Xbox....and gets stuck in my head for hours :)

jtfortin said:
One song that always sticks in my head is that Vengaboys - We Like To Party. If I hear that song, it is in my head for days.
CRAP! We like to party, We like to Party. Also the old intro to the Don and Mike Show.... so at least I have a warm fuzzy feeling as it runs through my head all this afternoon. Thanks.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Somebody Help Me!

Opening a real old thread.....

I cannot get this song out of my HEAD! Help! I don't even know the name of the tune, but it might be "Escape". :-c :-c :-c

Something about "....lovely old lady and a bar called O'Malley's....." or ".....and we can plan our escape...."

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg.......

Help A Bear, LLC

Michele Zone

BANNED
Opening a real old thread.....

I cannot get this song out of my HEAD! Help! I don't even know the name of the tune, but it might be "Escape". :-c :-c :-c

Something about "....lovely old lady and a bar called O'Malley's....." or ".....and we can plan our escape...."

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg.......

Help A Bear, LLC
Isn't that also called "The Pina Colada Song"?

Not really annoying me, but I have "Children of the Sun" stuck in my head here lately.

Richmond Jake

Cyburbian
:8:It's a small world after all
It's a small world after all
It's a small world after all....
It's a small, small world.
:8: :-c +o( +o(

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
:8:It's a small world after all
It's a small world after all
It's a small world after all....
It's a small, small world.
:8: :-c +o( +o(
Maybe we'll have to skip Animal Kingdom this weekend and head back to Magic Kingdom so you can do the ride...

Or was that a short joke??:-o

Jen

Cyburbian
:-c My household had recently encountered a generation gap. Where the children listen to music that drive the 'rents nuts. Kowntry Moosik, on the radia dial,

I got a brand new girlfriend, we go out every weekend, blah blah blah blah blah blah...

She let herself gooooooo

Tequila makes her take her clothes offff

Im not likeing these new country themes I'm hearing however catchy and brain sticky they might be,

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
my BF made up a song to sing to my nephew. it gets stuck in your head and you can't get it out. now i just have to sing the first few words and i can get the rest of the family to groan.

i typically use "Jon Jacob Jingleheimerschmidtt" as my song to get rid of the other song stuck in my head.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
my BF made up a song to sing to my nephew. it gets stuck in your head and you can't get it out. now i just have to sing the first few words and i can get the rest of the family to groan.

i typically use "Jon Jacob Jingleheimerschmidtt" as my song to get rid of the other song stuck in my head.
I've tried the ol' drown out the annoying song with another catchy tune technique before, but isn't trying to do so with 'Jon Jakob Kingleheimerschmidt' like going from the frying pan into the fire?:-c

cch

Cyburbian
I'm sure other parents on here, with toddlers, are extremely familiar with the songs on Noggin. My husband and I constantly find ourselves singing those dang songs, especially Laurie Berkner songs. And the theme songs from Noggin shows are just as irratiting. I've been singing the Wonder Pets song for about 3 days straight now.

I'm sure other parents on here, with toddlers, are extremely familiar with the songs on Noggin. My husband and I constantly find ourselves singing those dang songs, especially Laurie Berkner songs. And the theme songs from Noggin shows are just as irratiting. I've been singing the Wonder Pets song for about 3 days straight now.
hee!

"Days are the sunniest, jokes are the funniest"

I do admit to LOVING the end of the day song from Noggin. The singing fish are the best.

I think the worst about children's songs is that there is a Wiggles Song for EVERYTHING. Crossing the street, washing your hands, walking. nobody can make or eat fruit salad in our house without several refrains of Yummy Yummy.

My "go to" song for the kids, when they're crying or upset or not sleeping or whatever - I've been working on the railroad. I can sing it unconciously, with the tiniest portion of my brain, so that i can still read a magazine or think about global warming, and have had entire conversations with my husband, singing IBWOTRR while lulling the twins when they were newborns.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
I've tried the ol' drown out the annoying song with another catchy tune technique before, but isn't trying to do so with 'Jon Jakob Kingleheimerschmidt' like going from the frying pan into the fire?:-c
:) for some reason Jon Jacob Jinglheimerschmidtt doesn't get stuck in my head easily or if it does it doesn't bother me.

if you want annoying children's songs then Barney is definitely tops with VeggieTales a close second.

"the bunny, the bunny, oops i ate the bunny."

cololi

Cyburbian
I think the humpalump and woozles song from whinnie the pooh is always in my mind. I find myself humming it several times a day.

I don't mind the noggin songs so much, but the Mickey Mouse schoolhouse song is hoooorriiibbbllle.

boiker

Cyburbian
"the bunny, the bunny, oops i ate the bunny."
how could you do this to me.

:(

Now i have to sing "We're the priates that don't do anything" to clear my mind :p

Edit: now that we are talking kids songs (annoying and sticky) anyone ever challenge their kids to sing their abc's to different tunes? I do it for them all the time, then pass the buck. Nutting like hearing a kid trying to sing the ABC's to jingle bells.

Plan-it

Cyburbian
I do not know the name of the artist but I hear the, Everyone knows I'm in over my head, over my head song. It is a little annoying and extremly repetitive and it is stuck in my brain. I think I need a labotomy. Now that is a good Ramones song, Teenage Labotomy

noottamevas

Cyburbian
Elmo's World

Can't believe no one's mentioned Elmo's World yet

:8: Elmo likes his gold fish, and his crayon too:8:

cch

Cyburbian
anyone ever challenge their kids to sing their abc's to different tunes?
I never realized how the ABCs and Twinkle Twinkle Little Star are to the same tune, until my daughter started recently singing one song and then morphing it into the other.

safege

Cyburbian
1. Yellow Submarine - Beatles
2. Fish heads (eat them up, yum!)
3. Abba Dabba Honeymoon
4. Sukiyaki - Kyu Sakamoto
5. Dominique - the Singing Nun

CCMNUT39

Cyburbian
Are You Ready Kids????????????

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH,

Who lives in a pineapple under the sea???????

SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS!!!

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Q. Are parents with young children more prone to this ? :-$

Gedunker

Moderating
Q. Are parents with young children more prone to this ? :-$
Most definitely. Catchy tunes, simple lyrics, typically on TV before you drop the rugrats off to daycare/school so the tune can linger in your brain as you do the ho-hum of the day. Thankfully, my kids are older now and not watching repitition-driven learning tv. My administrative assistant used to give me the look when I was humming "oh, cookie, cookie, cookie starts with C" when I was picking something up at the printer.:)

I've heard songs that get stuck in your head called *ear worms*. It's pretty descriptive IMO. The one that just seems to always stick in my brain is Neil Young's Old Man -- I don't know what it is, but that song just ... lingers.

'Dunker -- 24 and there' so much more...

Jen

Cyburbian
the Neil Young song that catches in my brain is Southern man

electric twang twang

Planit

Cyburbian
I really hate The Wiggles now. D@mn songs keep fading in and out all day long.

A few days ago though I had a wonderful classic sticking in the grey matter:

AH-OOOOOOOO Werewolves of London. I saw a Werewolf sippin' a pina coloda at Trader Vics, his hair was perfect...draw blood!:-D

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
cut and paste from randomness

when I saw the "After the Charrette" thread, I instantly heard in my mind the song "After the Lovin" and now I can't get that dam^ song out of my head!!!!

Tide

Cyburbian
Karma Chameleon by Culture Club is my nails against the chalk board :-@ :-@ :victory: :victory:

mgk920

Cyburbian
"I love you, you love me...."

:-D :-| :-o :-c +o( :victory:

Mike

TOFB

Cyburbian
Lately I find myself on my bike commute humming "Welcome Back Kotter".

Could it be because I have returned to my hometown after 22 years?

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Lately I find myself on my bike commute humming "Welcome Back Kotter".

Could it be because I have returned to my hometown after 22 years?
Oh, God, that just reminded me of a job interview that I knew I had aced. Afterwards, driving home along the highway, I kept thinking of the theme from the Mary Tyler Moore Show: "You're gonna make it after all..."

I did get the job.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Oh, God, that just reminded me of a job interview that I knew I had aced. Afterwards, driving home along the highway, I kept thinking of the theme from the Mary Tyler Moore Show: "You're gonna make it after all..."

I did get the job.
When you found out did you spin around and throw your hat in the air?

Last edited: