• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

What's your best bar/club (as inspired by the many alcohol threads)

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
It seems like every city has a great bar or club just about. My question is what's your favorite and why?

Here's mine:

"The Tap Room"- drink all 62 beers and get a free T-shirt! Gotta love burger-n-beer night special!

"Grins" - $1 margarita night is tough to beat. You get a 12oz margarita that is saturated with cheap tequila. Toss down a few of those and you're good to go!

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
My favorite was the Old Stink (Pink) in allentown, but I haven't been there in a while. $2.00 Guiness Pints untill 11pm all the time. Dark, sticky and Video Game Bowling! Once got kicked out for passing out with a flask in my hand. Plus thats where I met current g-f.
Now that the Evil Empire NY State has enacted the smoking ban, I don't really go out much, usually just to friends houses to drink. You can stilll smoke in some bars cause they don't care, you just got to know where they are (screw you smoke free NY). But lately I've been drinking in the bar I installed in the front room of my apt. I'll have to take some pictures. Rumpy's Speakeasy!!!

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
I love Whitlows in Clarendon, half price burger nights on Mondays and lots of good stuff to drink. not to mention its stumbling distance to the metro station.

donk

Cyburbian
Only good local place worthy of mention is in an old theatre. It is 4 stories inside with weird dioramas{sp?}(the crypt keeper, aliens) and movie memorabilia. Lots of scantily clad waitresses and a bit teeny bopperish.

Favourites

The Dominion House Tavern - Windsor - a real beverage room. The waitress even knew what you drank and would have one ready when she saw you enter teh bar. She also would figure out how fast you were drinking and kept them coming at the right pace.

The Loretto Tavern -, nothing like being able to legally drink in High School. Another place with really good waitresses, not teh sbest looking, but good at serving.

Sneaky Dees - cheap pitchers, build your own nachos, punk karaoke.

Bullwinkle

Cyburbian
NHPlanner said:
As mentioned in the Ball State thread and here:

http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5981

The Chug in Muncie, IN. Too many good college memories to list here.

For the record, I think it was offically known as Papa Lou's Chug-A-Mug. At least it was in my day. Papa Lou was a weird character - he looked kind of like Captain Lou Albano, the wrestler dude. It was a great place, especially when they opened the back room.

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Ah, got to love Chicago, so many good places to find!

The first is the EXIT on North Avenue in Chi. Glam rock and punk downstairs. Upstairs is Industrial. It has the 2nd best bartender I have ever encountered, and she is always wearing something fetish to boot! The dance floor often has a lot of girl on girl flirting after about 2 am fridays and saturday. Serve beer til 5 am. Food to walk the drink off is only 2 blocks away! :)

The second, completly unrelated, is McEaters pub on Northwest Highway just inside the Chi city limits. A real Irish pub, not nasty dirty but not the cleanest. Live irish folk music friday saturday and sunday. Packed on sunday. VERY IRA oriented, I am sure he donates money to them. Decorated with pictures of Boby Sands and stuff like that. Cutest chics I have seen in Chi. All ages mix at all times, everyone is off the boat from ireland.

tsc

Cyburbian
Roman's, Syracuse NY. Big college bar in the 80's.... was sooo packed you could never move. The owner would get up on the bar and try and play a bugle.. and pour liquor in any open mouth (boy that sounds sexual)... anyway the music ranged from chicken dance, brady bunch theme...to bad rock and roll....