• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

What's your BFE?

Queen B

Cyburbian
Base Flood Elevation

A comment from RJ about his BFE being 2068 brought me to wonder if you all know what yours are?

This topic is close to my heart as I work with this every day.

I am at 1250-1350 MSL

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Mine would probably be from around 750 to 800.

SGB

Cyburbian
Our office building is at about 1000' MSL: sitting in both the 100 and 500 year floodways.

Bring it on! ;)

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Principal BFE = 448' NGVD (I'm looking to find MSL #).

Ohio River Flood Stage (Lower Gage) at the McAlpine Locks and Dam, Lou., KY is 55 feet

27 January 1937 flood crest (flood of record) = 85.5' or 30' above flood stage
(next closest 8 March 1945 = 74.4')

The flood everyone around here tells me "didn't get close to my property": 70.6' (it does rank seventh of all recorded flood events).

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Queen B said:
Base Flood Elevation

This topic is close to my heart as I work with this every day.

I am at 1250-1350 MSL

That's about the same as mine...

So you work with it everyday, eh? Have you been to the EMI at Emmitsburg?

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
OK I saw BFE and had B*TF Egypt in mind but then I grew up around a bunch of cursing sailors.

plannerkat

Cyburbian
PlannerGirl said:
OK I saw BFE and had B*TF Egypt in mind but then I grew up around a bunch of cursing sailors.
That was also my first thought. As a teenager I always thought the funniest thing was the BFE Manufacturing facility located 6 miles from the ass-end of nowhere in our county. Heehee, BFE is in BFE!!! Ok, so I still find it mildly amusing.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Two dams in the city help to complicate things a bit. The surface of the upper lake is 822 feet and even in a 500-year flood it only rises a couple of feet. Downstream is another matter. The lake surface is at 811 feet and a worst-case scenario would flood up to 817 feet. My office is at 830 feet and my house is at 860 feet.

JNL

Cyburbian
Not sure but here's a pic of the area I work in, taken last week...

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Mastiff said:
Have you been to the EMI at Emmitsburg?
I have attended both the NFIP and CRS Classes.
Qualified to sit for the CFM exam but haven't yet.

Queen B

Cyburbian
JNA said:
I have attended both the NFIP and CRS Classes.
Qualified to sit for the CFM exam but haven't yet.
ME, Too!!!!!
They are offering the CFM testing April 2nd in Kansas City. I am going. I hope the review is good, I would have felt so much better taking the test right after the classes.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Isn't EMI great? I also have those two courses, and I'm going back for HAZMAT stuff now that I do public works. The food was real good, and how can you go wrong with a pub on campus that has the cheapest beer in town?

Queen B

Cyburbian
Mastiff said:
Isn't EMI great? I also have those two courses, and I'm going back for HAZMAT stuff now that I do public works. The food was real good, and how can you go wrong with a pub on campus that has the cheapest beer in town?
Yes I would recommend EMI to anyone that has anything to do with flooding.

I would love to go back for more courses.
Last time I was there was when the Hurricane hit. It looked like the darn thing was coming at us the whole week. Luckily it made just a slight turn.
But I was mad. All the hurricane hype and I figured that the pub would be packed with a hurricane party! What a let down.
Everybody kept telling me how bad the wind was. But it was nothing like a normal March day in Kansas.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Since I drove both times to EMI, I was able to spend time up in Gettysburg NP.
well worth it.

Michele Zone

BANNED
Mastiff said:
Okay: what is this EMI you speak of?

Queen B

Cyburbian
Budgie said:
I sent your former boss to EMI for two different trainings. You should go if you can.
I have been to both classes and am ready to test for CFM.
I just didn't know about that particular CRS link.

plankton

Cyburbian
how low can you go

BFE = 6' NGVD

Benchmark outside of city hall sitting at about 8' NGVD.

Our dikes make great hike/bike trails - very cool...

I, too, have taken the FEMA Managing Floodplain Development class at the EMI in Emmitsburg. Mastiff's comments are right on about the pub & food (BTW Mastiff, I'm still smarting over that damn CFFL Super Bowl game - dontcha think it's time to update that stinkin' avatar! This CFFL season can't come soon enough...)

Doitnow

Cyburbian
400 MSL.
In Sept. 2000 we had a large part of the city under water. That was due to poor drainage planning.

Heres the link

Mastiff

Gunfighter
plankton said:
(BTW Mastiff, I'm still smarting over that damn CFFL Super Bowl game - dontcha think it's time to update that stinkin' avatar! This CFFL season can't come soon enough...)
Nah, I kind of like it... I'll wait for mini-camps.