• Cyburbia is a fun, friendly, big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

When I was ten I wanted to be a...

el Guapo

Capitalist
Fill in the blank. Optional - describe why you are not what you wanted to be.

A Private Eye/Detective/Sleuth. I used to read a lot of Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys and similar-type mystery books when I was around that age and solving mysteries seemed like such a cool thing to do at that time.

Plan Man

Cyburbian
Archaeologist. Indiana Jones and everything. But then I found out how dull it actually is.

On Kids Incorporated! (K*I*D*S! YEAH!)

When I got a little older (about 14 or so) I thought I might like to work as a translater for the UN in New York and totally thought I'd wind up living in the city, doing the whole single city girl thing. I figured I'd get married when i was 30 or so, probably to the handsome young ambassador from France and we'd have a penthouse apartment on the upper west side.

Good thread, guap!

nerudite

Cyburbian
Like Kelly, I had a very specific vision for myself...

I wanted to be a veterinarian and remain single, but adopt a Chinese daughter (I think this was after a specific lesson we had in school about the hardships in parts of China). And I wanted to live in Oakhurst, CA (in the Sierras right by Yosemite) and have horses.

Oh yeah, and on the optional part... I dropped out of the pre-vet program after my first quarter at UC Davis, where a bunch of pre-vet students in my chem lab had sabotaged everybody's chem projects. The competition was so cut throat and I wasn't enjoying it. My mom was a Geography grad so I was pretty much teethed on geography, so it was a natural transition.

el Guapo

Capitalist
I wanted to be an Astronaut or a rocket scientist. I just knew that I could build even better rockets than NASA. Then my interest moved towards military ordnance, much like Werner VonBraun. He aimed for the stars, but hit London and Antwerp about 14,000 times.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Hmmm....

When I was ten, I probably wanted to be a hockey player. Either that or a locomotive engineer. Or a tank commander.

When I was 13, and getting ready to graduate from middle school to high school, we were interviewed by some junior students, and one of the questions asked was "what do you want to do?". I don't know how I knew, but I said "Urban Planner".

It came out on my interview sheet as "wants to be an Urban Planter".

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Good one Guap!

Lets see there was a couple things that i wanted to be

1) first female shuttle commander, i have always been into space but i realized in highschool i could not do the math to get the Astronomy/Physics degree *sigh*

2) reader for the CIA/Pentagon-this has been an ongoing dream that i have not given up on. I wanted to sit in some cube and study the link between geography and terrorist groups/mindset. yes thats alot for a 10 year old but thats what i wanted and still want to do.

why am i not doing it-grandfather was with the CIA and was horrified that his little girl wanted to work for "them" so until he died i knew i did not stand a chance (he died last year)

I have no desire to be in the military and dont have an Ivy degree so its gonna take alot more work. I got the geography degree, now to get the law degree, read and write till my eyes pop out.

Funny back in the 80s and 90s no one seemed to care about this-now they cant find enough folks to do the job.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
An author. I had a great fifth-grade teacher who steered me towards some of the best young-adult type books. I was always a big reader but that got me into more serious stuff. So I wanted to write novels.

As for why I'm not one, I discovered over the years that I have no talent for that type of writing. I just write staff reports, instead.

Habanero

Cyburbian
I'm dull. I wanted to be a city planner. I wanted to do exactly what my Mom did.. yeah, my imagination fell out when I was dropped on my head as a baby.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Hockey player. I lived in northern Maine.

That idea vaporized when we moved to Philly (where they didn't play "real" hockey at the time), and I was promptly tossed out of three leagues.

I reverted to the dream I had when I was five... of being an architect (Here's the story; of a man named Brady...) But, once I left the school for a period of time and worked in civil engineering, I went back for an L.A. degree... which somehow manifested itself into a planning career.

Anyone get that? Or do I need some time on the shrinks couch?

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
First, I wanted to be an astronomer. Kind of grew out of that, thank Heavens, because I suck at math and physics.

Second was an archaeologist - pay sucks and I didn't really want to leave MI for either school or work. For what it's worth, I went to Belgium on a dig in '93 and it was awesome! Didn't speak a lick of French though. It was an 11th century abbey that had been bombed, and so a new abbey was built. For those that care, here's the "new abbey" circa 1700's, with the excavation to the bottom left of the picture.

Problem was, before I went to the dig, I went to visit my fiance in Germany (in the Army) and found out he was cheating on me with a 15 year old German girl (he was 21). Kind of left a bad taste in my mouth and didn't have the best time. Amazing thing was, we ended up back together 6 months later. I was such a dumb ass. Sorry, off topic and a whole 'nother story.....

OK, third was an architect - problem was I loved the drawing part of it, and hated CAD. Plus, the professor never spoke about the details (load bearing walls, ect.) - it mainly dealt with the pictures.

Then, archaeology and architecture kind of came together which led to Historic Preservation, which led to Urban Planning.

Ok, so that took like ten years of my life, not just when I was ten, but you get the picture.

Glomer

An Indian.......I was a bit naive.....I really thought I could change enthnicity

Jeff

Cyburbian
....a fireman. I guess the dream came true, but not completly.

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
...the first man on Mars.

I was named after one of the men who were part of the Apollo program.

Why did I give up that dream? 1) By the time I reached 10th grade, a classmate of mine had spent time at that astronaut camp in Alabama and I had not, 2) I realized that my parents did not have the financial wherewithal to send me to such a place, so therefore I concluded that my fellow classmate would get to Mars before me, 3) In 11th grade, my physics teacher made it clear that we probably wouldn't be able to send a human being to Mars in my lifetime, and 4) By the time I graduated from high school, I knew that if I wanted anything to do with the space program, I'd probably have to be a pilot and joining the air force was not an attractive option to me.

biscuit

Cyburbian
After finding out that I could never actually grow up to be an X-Man... I decided that I wanted to be an Architect; a Psychologist; an Anthropologist; a Politician; a Writer; a Meglomaniac an Astronaut... It changed daily - Espessially if I didn't take my riddlin. So I decided to find a career that allowed me to indulge in all my interest and became a planner.

Now to become the first Planner on the Moon.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
An author. I had a great fifth-grade teacher who steered me towards some of the best young-adult type books. I was always a big reader but that got me into more serious stuff. So I wanted to write novels.

As for why I'm not one, I discovered over the years that I have no talent for that type of writing. I just write staff reports, instead.
I'm with Zoning Goddess. All I wanted to do at age ten was to write. I used to write little books and get my friends and teachers to read and critique them. It used to impress people.

Now I mostly do technical writing. I haven't done any creative writing since college; I think I lost the ability when I started writing in a more formal style. Yet people who haven't seen me for years ask: "Are you still writing?"

biscuit

Cyburbian
Is there something about planning that attracts would-be writers to the field? I still try at it but, between staff reports and grant applications, I find that I have little energy churn out material like I did in high school and college. Plus, my spelling is awful.

Mudd Princess...Which state's upstate swamp are you in?

JNL

Cyburbian
1. Architect
2. Hairdresser
3. Archaeologist
4. Primary school teacher

Woohoo my 100th post! Um, not an architect cos I liked drawing plans of really imaginative houses but drawing them with proper straight edges and stuff was a little too much effort. The other ideas only lasted a few weeks then faded away. Didn't think I'd end up as a 'Researcher, Built Environment'.

Journeymouse

Cyburbian
Hmmm. Y'know I'm mad, right?
  1. An X-(wo)man - but they don't exist, doh!
  2. An archeologist - I wanted to be a female Indiana Jones. These days I just want to go to bed with him. Still like history, though.
  3. An architect - but that's at least seven years of hell to get qualified. Not including school up to 18.
  4. A civil engineer - ditto
  5. Isaac Asimov - Well, for a start he's a man. But this led to...
  6. A writer - Not to be conceited, but I can write quite well. I just don't have the will power to write a full story and get it published. It's so much work!
    [/list=1]

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
I wanted to be the next Mosi Tatupu for the New England Patriots or the next Dwight Evans for the Red Sox or the next Ray Bourque for the Bruins or the next Kevin McHale for the Celtics....or all 4. :)

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I wanted to be a bank president. I thought it would be cool to be around money all day. College changed all that I guess....

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I think I also wanted to be an archeologist. Seems to be a popular choice on here. I think it was because of 1) Indiana Jones, and 2) The fact that I loved digging up stuff in my parents backyard or garden.

donk

Cyburbian
Either a farmer or an architect, or a combo of both.

Not good enough at math or drawing by hand to be an architect.

Farmer, not enough money to start up a farm. Then again i do deal with a lot of bull sh*t and jack a$$es so maybe its too far off from what i do.

Habanero

Cyburbian
Last night I decided that I should've wanted to be the person that goes down to the bottom of the sea and finds old war ships and does documentaries on the Titanic. I stayed up way too late watching the Bismark special.. :)

el Guapo

Capitalist
donk said:
Either a farmer or an architect, or a combo of both.

Not good enough at math or drawing by hand to be an architect.

Farmer, not enough money to start up a farm. Then again i do deal with a lot of bull sh*t and jack a$$es so maybe its too far off from what i do.
There is always the Mike DeVuono Farming Method for fun and profit. ;)

donk

Cyburbian
On the weekend I was talking to some people from BC. I think I may start a grow op in my basement this winter, free heat the house would have a funny hemp smell to it.

Jeff

Cyburbian
I think I'm gonna start cookin up meth in my garage...

The agricultural industry just isn't what it used to be :)

el Guapo

Capitalist
donk said:
On the weekend I was talking to some people from BC. I think I may start a grow op in my basement this winter, free heat the house would have a funny hemp smell to it.
That is like legal in Canada, Eh?

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Another archeologist/architect here. I still enjoy both and haven't wholly given up on the idea.

Writer is mentioned here a few times. It is funny that I never really considered it. I used to read a lot as a kid, and I guess I still do, although it is more often work-related than a novel. A few people have told me that I should write. I have a habit of making up stories about things - pass something unusual alongside a road and weave a history around it, that sort of thing.

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
Archeologist/architect also. Settled on architecture until my first three Fs in college (all the first semester). Planning was lurking in the background, but I did not recognize it for several years.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
NHPlanner said:
I wanted to be the next Mosi Tatupu for the New England Patriots or the next Dwight Evans for the Red Sox or the next Ray Bourque for the Bruins or the next Kevin McHale for the Celtics....or all 4. :)
Call it boredom or whatever....but I felt the need to spruce up my original post.... :)

Mosi Tatupu:
No pics yet...

Dwight Evans:

Ray Bourque:

Kevin McHale:

donk

Cyburbian
That is like legal in Canada, Eh?
They are working at it.

In Vancouver, simple possession for personal use is now pretty much ignored by teh police, as it would clog the judicial system. Kind of like drinking in public in New Orleans during Mardi Gras.

Medicinal MJ is being grown in a mine in Manitoba and Dr's can prescribe it. Dr's can also prescribe home grown, as long as you grow it yourself. Which for most cases is impossible as teh person is too sick.

Mary Poppins

Cyburbian
When I was ten I wanted to be veterinarian.....that lasted up through my junior year of high school when I was working at an animal hospital and had to assist the Dr. in an emergency involving a dog that got hit by a car. I hate anything related to a hospital and the smells that go along with it, so needless to say I got a little quesy and that was the first and only time I have ever passed out. Since that day my dreams of becoming a veterinarian were over, so I naturally decided I would become a gym teacher!!:) I am still working on that one though!

Runner

Cyburbian
After going on a camping trip with my Dad and climbing Mt. Cardigan in New Hampshire I decided that I wanted to be a Forest Ranger. I thought it would be cool to live on top of a mountain and watch for fires from that big tower.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Ah.. childhood memories ;) (not that far anyways :p)
What did I want to be when I was 10?
<-- That explains everything ;)
Architect :D or Astronaut, or astronomer (sp?), Agronomer, Biochemist (My both parents are), Geographer. That cycled through my childhood and these recent years.. Now I'm Back at the start ;) and I'll be starting in march :D

PS: There isn't any Planning degree here in Chile.. and my parents don't have the $$ to send me out of Chile to study.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
There are a quite a few on this thread who wanted to be an astronaut as a kid. I thought it was interesting when Mae Jamison was interviewed on CNN today; she said children today and yesterday had not told her "I wanted to be an astronaut", but that "I want to be an astronaut".

My brief flirtation with wanting to go into space resulted from a couple of sci-fi stories by Heinlein and (I think) Clarke. One was called "The Star" about an expedition that found a dead culture that was apparently a victim of the nova that created the star above Bethlehem. It was too cool way back then. On the other hand, I believe it was archaeologists who found the dead civilization, which seems to be another top profession among us.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
I was an extremely curious child. Therefore, I had a million things that I wanted to do, such as being a/an:
1. Archaeologist
2. Secret Agent
3. Pilot
4. One of the dancers from the Golden Earring video - Twilight Zone
5. Forensic scientist

When I first went off to college, I then wanted to become a planner, but was later distracted with anthropology/historic preservation. Anyway, now I am back on track as a planner.

pete-rock

Cyburbian
When I was ten...

I wanted to design amusement parks. By ten I'd been to Disney World, Cedar Point, Bob-Lo Island (a small amusement park south of Detroit in the Detroit River, reachable only by a steamboat from downtown), and I thought these were just the best environments ever created. But I had no idea who did that kind of work or how they did it. I later assumed it was architects.

When I was 13 there was a career day at my middle school in Detroit. Mostly kids' parents came in to talk a little about their jobs. One architect came in and said architects toil long and hard for little pay, and only a small and select group designs the buildings the profession is famed for. A planner came in and said that planners set the tone for the development of neighborhoods and communities, and every community needs them. Anyone remember that scene from "Seinfeld" when some kid tells George, "I want to be an urban planner. Why design buildings when I can design cities? I had an epiphany something like that at 13.

However, if I had heard about landscape architecture or civil engineering at the right time, I might have gravitated in that direction. But I would've struggled with the math.

Re: When I was ten...

pete-rock said:
However, if I had heard about landscape architecture or civil engineering at the right time, I might have gravitated in that direction. But I would've struggled with the math.
Sadly, I think this is the way for lots of planners.

When I was Jr. High age, I and my two best friends wrote an on-going series of stories about us being international spies/women of mystery/mafia godmothers when we grew up. We also did a Charlie's Angels type stint, but we worked for Orville Redenbacker, our motto was He Pops our Corn and we infiltrated the Jiffy Pop camp and stole their corporate secrets. I still have bits and pieces of the stories and they still crack me up 12 years later.