• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Wireless facilities When Stealth Wireless Goes Bad

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I think it's hilarious. As Habanero said, who's checking these plans??? Friday night I took my 10-year old to soccer tryouts. While we were trapped in the car, waiting for the usual FL p.m. thundershower to go away, I was explaining to him why I knew that the very wide flagpole between soccer fields, with equipment building below, was a cell tower. The only time they can disguise those things is to put them in an already normal structure, like a church steeple.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
The only time they can disguise those things is to put them in an already normal structure, like a church steeple.
The church steeple ones do look really good if it is done correctly. You definitely can not tell that a cell tower is there as a church steeple.

That picture of the tower is pretty terrible.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Those "trees" are up and down the PA turnpike.... dumbest things I've ever seen :(

BCF

Cyburbian
Oh heck, I've got pictures of far worse ones than that - If I can figure out how to get a picure on here, I'll offer a couple. At least it's got branches all the way down. But this is the reason that the wireless ordinance I finished with at the end of April considers all faux trees to be high visibility and requires a use permit - you just can't tell what the quality of them is going to be.

=Bob

carlomarx

Cyburbian
consider the alternative...

I saw a few of these a few years ago when I lived in LA... One was stuck in with a bunch of other trees, and it didn't look too bad. This one looks stoopid because it's all by its onesome. Honestly, they could have tried to position it a LITTLE better.

BTW, I'd rather have fake cellphone trees tucked in amongst other trees than clear-cutting paths across wilderness for landlines. Amen?

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
Am I the only person who never notices cell towers? I spend a lot time outside, too, in the city, suburbs and mountains. Their green plastic trees have me fooled. The tree in that picture was hideous, though!

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
before putting up something like that
how about encouraging co-location?
one of the better examples around here was on a light tower at ball stadium.

ecofem

Cyburbian
There is one of these tree cell towers in Winter Park, Florida... where sequoias are quite common... you can't even notice it ;)

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Right now, some one from Earth First or Green Peace is going... WHAT THE HECK IS THAT.... I am not sure what it is, but there is no way that is a tree...

*On the PA turnpike, I have noticed more than a few of thoes... the first time I seen one, a just about loss control of my car as my mind started trying to figure out why some one would let that happen.

j_deuce

Cyburbian
PlannerGirl said:
I thought some of them were pretty darn good
From the pictures, I'm inclined to agree. But in reality, i get the feeling they're a bit less realistic...

H

Cyburbian
Realistic = no,

Step in the right direction = yes.

Trail and error, trail and error. At least there are people trying to disguise, it is better than the scary looking silver ones.

*and I have seen some good ones.

BCF

Cyburbian
j_deuce said:
From the pictures, I'm inclined to agree. But in reality, i get the feeling they're a bit less realistic...
Some are some aren't. Larson makes the things so you're going to see their best examples, but it all depends on how much a wireless company wants to spend. The really ugly ones are the more or less "off the rack" trees.

=Bob

j_deuce

Cyburbian
rcf said:
it all depends on how much a wireless company wants to spend.
Therein lies the rub. Also, I think it's probably a bit easier to make a fake saguaro on the cheap than it is to get a realistic fir tree, even if you're willing to spend lots of cash (which, of course, cell providers are not).

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
The silver ones are almost less intrusive because we've all gotten more or less used to them (which is not to say I'm not shocked by the 200'-some foot thing on our beltway each time I see it). The trees, though...it's like a Monty Python skit or something, "Guess which tree is hiding the cell tower." Poor squirrels. Huge trees, and not a single pine cone.

j_deuce

Cyburbian
Plannerbabs said:
Poor squirrels. Huge trees, and not a single pine cone.
For my part, I wonder what happens when a cactus wren tries to burrow into a fake saguaro. That's GOTTA hurt!

BKM

Cyburbian
Not THAT bad, but the single pine tree in the middle of an oak forest looks pretty wierd.