• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

When Trains Crash

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I saw this article and it got me thinking.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=519&e=5&u=/ap/20030620/ap_on_re_us/train_derails

A few years ago as we were debating construction of a new community building one of the council members continually raised the issue of a train derailing and killing a bunch of senior citizens. (One might counter that they are old and going to die soon anyway, so what's the point, but I digress.) A train did derail there once, so I guess he figured it could happen again. In another community in which I worked, they still speak of the great wreck. It happened in the 1860's.

Sometimes I think it is a bit of nonsense. But then a few years ago a train took out a cheese factory in Wuyawega. And now there are stories like this one. A train travels thirty miles and they can't do anything to stop it? It doesn't seem like they bothered to notify anyone, either.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Maybe they never passed algebra, y'know, the train leaves the station at 2 p.m., the conductor's hat is green, what time will it derail?

Seriously, they are so lucky nobody was killed. I did read in the paper that there was a suggestion to hook an engine to stop the cars, but they got out of the yard before anyone could get permission to try it.

Runner

Cyburbian
Weyauwega, WI
plus
cheese factory

Imagine that :)

I'll bet the governor declared a state of emergency ;)

Just kidding...