• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Where are we from?

Cardinal

Cyburbian
It was attempted once before, but it wasn't kept up. Let's try another mapping project. Sorry, but I don't have a base map including both the US and Canada. Sorry, Canadians. I've tried to include you anyway.

I have the following people's locations: Chet, Dan, EG NHPlanner, Transplanner, Plannergirl, me, Mike D., Planderella, Nerudite, Habanero, Prudence, BKM, Boiker, Pete-Rock, Runner, Xing500, Mike Gurnee, Cowley.11, GeogPlanner, Jresta, Budgie, Lee Nellis, Bucky Alum, Joe Iliff, Jestes.

If you don't want to give away your location publicly, send me a PM. Here's the first map:

Mod Edit (NHPlanner):Map deleted for bandwidth conservation. See map toward end of the thread.

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
JoshD can be found in the wonderful state of Michigan.

Specifically in SW Michigan in city of KALAMAZOO.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Where are we from or where are we at? I'm a little hazy this morning (The ofice happy hour ran a little late last night) and get confused easily. However, after a little thought I've figured you're asking where were at and in that case I can tell you...

Pittsburgh, PA

donk

Cyburbian
mark me at the top of maine and to the right in the nothingness.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I don't mean to nitpick, but...

1) move my dot about half a centimetre to the right, and up slightly. I don't want people thinking I'm in Hamilton (sorry Hamiltonians).

2)There's no "s" in Tranplanner!

Sure you can't find a better base map?

Jeff

Cyburbian
Yeah you got me WAAAAAAYYY to close to Jersey..about 1 cm NW of where you have me now will work. Thanks!

El Feo

Cyburbian
Medway, MA, southwest of Boston about 30 miles (the center of the Boston-Worcester-Providence triangle).

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Just Rhode Island - the marker will take up the whole state anyway. :)

Last edited:

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I have my work cut out for me - will do. _orry Tranplanner, no more _'_. By the way, my family came from Hamilton (_toney Creek, but my grandfather'_ company wa_ in Hamilton). I will try to hunt down a Canada map this weekend.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Michael Stumpf said:
By the way, my family came from Hamilton (_toney Creek, but my grandfather'_ company wa_ in Hamilton).
Yeah, I recall you saying this before. Definitely explains a lot! ;)

If you ever make it up this way again, make sure to drop me a line.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Habanero said:
Can someone let me in on job openings in Canada, my little dot looks hot. : )
I'll keep an eye out for ya. Most Canadian cities have an employment opportunities section on their websites. Toronto is supposedly going to have a call out soon for about 15 Community Planners, but I haven't seen it yet.

Here's the CIP job site - great if you want work up in Nunavut!
http://www.cip-icu.ca/English/members/otherjob.htm

jordanb

Cyburbian
Interesting that there are so many Chicagoians but no one from New York or Los Angeles.

Otis

Cyburbian
Lincoln City, Oregon: on the coast, a third of the way down, on the left side.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
SkeLeton - I'll have to think up some special way to deal with you and the other "non-Americans" like Journeymouse and JNL. These easiest way would be for the US to annex you all.... We need to take care of Canada first, though.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
LOL no kidding... once a chilean economist said that it would be convenient to become the 51st state of the US :p
As you can imagine... that comentary wasn't very well recieved and many though of him as a lunatic...

the solution i find is just putting the image i attached earlier, next to the US map ;)

Mastiff

Gunfighter
donk said:
mark me at the top of maine and to the right in the nothingness.
Houlton?

I'm in Oakridge, OR, btw...

jordanb said:
Interesting that there are so many Chicagoians but no one from New York or Los Angeles.
You think those cities plan?

jestes

Cyburbian
Michael,

I think you need to move my point a bit further south.

Great effort, It is interesting to see how we are distributed.

Miles Ignatius

Cyburbian
If I Lived Here, I'd Be Home By Now...

Count among the lucky folk who live in the Queen City of the Front Range, Denver, Colorado!

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Mod note: Stuck the thread so its not buried and new users see it quickly

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Here's the latest update. I have corrected Tranplanner (no s), Mike D., and jestes. I have also added a few countries that are not yet US states. Donk, I can place you a little better now. I've added the UK and Ireland, so Garathace and Journeymouse, let me know where you are. If your metro has enough Cyburbians, you now get a bigger dot with the number of members on it -- congratulations, Milwaukee!

New additions include (in no particular order:

iamme, Zoning Goddess, Downtown, JoshD, biscuit, jordanb, donk, gkmo62u, giff57, Repo Man, El Feo, Huston, Alan, Sue, Ecofem, Richmond Jake, SGB, Greenescapist, mendelman, Seabishop, Maroon, mcmplans, japrovo, DecaturHawk, kms, Jessie-J, Rich Townsend, Mastiff, Miles Ignatius, Bullwinkle, and Markitect.

Now here's the map.

Mod Edit (NHPlanner):Map deleted for bandwidth conservation. See map toward end of the thread.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Michael - Terrific effort, this is really interesting. Way cool, I actually have a location on the map. I'm humbled.

yaff

Cyburbian
On The Road Again!

Well, I am currently living in the Chicago Metro Area (Oak Park, IL to be exact). However, the Hus has just accepted a job in the D.C. area so we will be moving next week. We will be located just N.W. of D.C. on the Maryland side. I am currently looking for work as a planner or doing land use/environmental law in the D.C. area.

P.G. if you would like to hook up with another local cyburbanite pm me so we can work something out.

JNL

Cyburbian
Thanks for adding New Zealand!

I have a new flatmate who is Texan and has been educating us in American ways. Can you really buy cheese in an aerosol can???

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
thanks for adding Chile... now my question is.. why is AZ,NM,CO, and Utah so highlighted?

Cardinal

Cyburbian
SkeLeton said:
thanks for adding Chile... now my question is.. why is AZ,NM,CO, and Utah so highlighted?
Just a little attempt to "cyburbanize" the map -- take a look at Cyburbia's logo.

pete-rock

Cyburbian
Great job, Mike! One question -- do you think the Canucks (sorry, Canucks) will be offended that your map shows Canada as being smaller than the good ol' USA?

We need more Southerners and Left Coasters, too.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I'll be doing another update tomorrow. Sorry Miles Ignatius, I see my last map put Denver in the wrong square state. I'll move you out of Thermopolis, Wyoming (a great place to visit, if only for the donuts) and into Colorado where you belong.

oulevin

Cyburbian
Okay, I'm from the planning landmark of Cleveland, Ohio. I think a few others are as well.