• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

Where are we from?

Rem

Cyburbian
Sorry about that. Oz is a shortening of Aussie (we prefer to try and get every word down to one syllable - or - we pref to get ev word down to one syll.)

dmvallie

Cyburbian
from where

I just graduated so I'm still in North Carolina but we'll see where a job offer pops up!

dmvallie

Cyburbian
Yes, UNCG. when did you graduate and did you go for your master's?
I'm really starting to get worried about finding a job and thinking that I should have stayed in school for another 2 years!

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Beesball said:
First Marylander on the list. Columbia, MD.

YAY! I grew up there on Hayledge Court till I was 5 or 6 years old.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Keep 'em coming! I've updated the map but am having some trouble posting it. I get a message that I have already posted it to the thread, even if I rename it. Mods?

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Michael Stumpf said:
Keep 'em coming! I've updated the map but am having some trouble posting it. I get a message that I have already posted it to the thread, even if I rename it. Mods?

I'll PM you and give you my e-mail address and I'll get the attachment up.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Originally from Hagerstown in Western Maryland, but now in Salisbury on the Eastern Shore. Not sure which one you want to plot.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Originally from Jacksonville, Florida, most recently from the Orlando area and now stuck in Reston, VA.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Michael.....

Pop a dot on the map about twenty (20) miles (pinhead) west of Toledo, Ohio. Swanton is nice this time of the year. Corn Festival in late August. Mmmmmm....mmmmmm.....life is good.

You might also think about a thread that asks "where we want to be?".

Bear Up North

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Latest Map

Michael sent me the map to post since he was having attachment problems. The older maps have been deleted for bandwidth conservation.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
My eyes are going screwy trying to figure out how many cyburbia dots there are in southern Ontario now...is it two, or three. And who are they?

btw - I think Norris's dot should go near the "top" of Wales, not the bottom.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
The British Isles were left out of my North America road atlas. I'll adjust the location of Liverpool in the next version. There are two dots in Southern Ontario. Chriswerner_1 is located in London.

I am trying to figure out a way to get a better-quality image posted, perhaps on some other site I can link to. One of these days I will get a personal web site up, but until then, does anybody have any ideas?

Howard Roark

Cyburbian
Lovely St. Louis County!

OK, OK, I should be doing the living the city thing, cut me some slack, just moved back. But then again... have you seen how cheap things down at that Wal-Mart are!

I don't know if you want to include me, but, if you do, I am (apparently) about 10 or 15 miles from another cyburbanite in the San Francisco Bay Area. So, you would need to double up on the middle dot in California -- the one next to the Bay.

Or I could represent Georgia, where I was born and raised (no 'inbreeding' jokes please -- my folks are not originally from there). However, I don't intend to ever live there again, so maybe that is not such a good idea.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
The addiction has begun....newbie Michele posting at 2:40 AM

pete-rock

Cyburbian
As I look at Mike's map I see a definite Midwestern theme. I'd bet two-thirds of the people ID'd are located between Ohio and th Great Plains.

Is there something about Cyburbia that screams "Midwest" to people? I would've thought there were just plain more planners and planner types on either coast.

MitchBaby

Cyburbian
Put me down as being from Vancouver, CANADA

Put me down as being from Vancouver, Canada - on the West Coast of Canada 250 km above Seattle!

Thanks

giff57 said:
The addiction has begun....newbie Michele posting at 2:40 AM

It is not addiction. It's insomnia. However, now that I am (relatively) 'drug free', my sleep schedule is slowly improving. I have big plans to quit keeping the hours of your average vampire some day real soon. In fact, I have started waking up at noon (instead of going to bed shortly before noon). So, hey, I probably need to buy some sunglasses so I can brave the daylight and go shopping or something.

But, I would be happy to be addicted to cyburbia in place of some of my other bad habits.

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
I have big plans to quit keeping the hours of your average vampire some day real soon. In fact, I have started waking up at noon (instead of going to bed shortly before noon). So, hey, I probably need to buy some sunglasses so I can brave the daylight and go shopping or something.

Don't do it, stay on the night schedule, nothing much fun happens during the day any way. Just meetings, all the good stuff happens at night! :)

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Yet another midwesterner

I'm a Hoosier by circumstance and education--smack dab in the middle of the state (we are the crossroads of America, you know) in "Inninaplis", as the natives like to say.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Re: Yet another midwesterner

Plannerbabs said:
in "Inninaplis", as the natives like to say.

Yes, they do. Can you tell me why they also add "R's" to their words (as in 'terlet' instead of toilet)? It is one of the oddest accents I know. However, as I am from Wisconsin, I am not being critical, aina?

Consider yourself dotted. I'll get a new map out today or tomorrow.

bocian

Cyburbian
Downtown Champaign, 136 miles south of downtown Chicago, in the great flat state of Illinois.

jordanb

Cyburbian
pete-rock said:
As I look at Mike's map I see a definite Midwestern theme. I'd bet two-thirds of the people ID'd are located between Ohio and th Great Plains.

Is there something about Cyburbia that screams "Midwest" to people? I would've thought there were just plain more planners and planner types on either coast.

Well, looking at the latest one, there are a ton of New Englanders too (there even appears to be a few New Yorkers now). Most of the midwesterners seem to be in the relatively high density belt between Chicago and Detroit, which is to be expected.

Over all the map looks like a pretty good population density map east of Kansas City. West of that, though, things break down. No Houston, LA or Seattle? Come on.

Where are all of the western planners?

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
Bear Up North said:
Michael.....

Pop a dot on the map about twenty (20) miles (pinhead) west of Toledo, Ohio. Swanton is nice this time of the year. Corn Festival in late August. Mmmmmm....mmmmmm.....life is good.

You might also think about a thread that asks "where we want to be?".

Bear Up North

Hey, I'm in Toledo!

I was going to do a map like this once. I had a few dots placed but that was as far as I got.

Anyways, this gives me opportunity to update the weather page. I have already added a few new names. If you want to be on and have at least 100 posts, let me know.

http://www.geocities.com/rabscuttle02/cyburbia.html

Nero

Put me down .... Grand Rapids Michigan............ actually it's Belding but Grand Rapids is close enough.

Sometimes us planner types feel very alone in the woods... with small woodland creatures.... so it is nice to see "others" out there.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
It must be pretty cool to be on the Pacific but only about 600 miles from the Atlantic.

Yet I've never been that far in Argentina :p Although I've heard it's cool, but just the though of having to pass the Argentinean 'Pampa' (Patagonia) makes me sleepy... It's as boring as the Atacama Desert...

I think that there are even whales near the atlantic coast of Argentina (at my latitude at least)

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Planificador Urbano said:
Put me down .... Grand Rapids Michigan............ actually it's Belding but Grand Rapids is close enough.

Sometimes us planner types feel very alone in the woods... with small woodland creatures.... so it is nice to see "others" out there.

You are already there. :)

Cardinal

Cyburbian
The latest map - some of the east seems to be filling in now. Canada is also getting a bit thicker. The west and south just don't seem to visit here. Oh well, they are probably afraid of having to compete intellectually with the rest of us. ;)

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Re: Chicago, IL

steveanne said:
Chi-Town, IL by way of Rochester, NY with a four year hiatus in Orlando, FL.

Picked you up on the map when you checked in on the "Intro" forum.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I'm thinking nerudite and BiteMeElmo should be located just a little closer together ;)

Let me know if I'm getting too picky :)

nerudite

Cyburbian
I was wondering who is down in Calgary. Hmmmm... maybe it's Lenze... I think he's down in Taber.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
BiteMeElmo said:
I don't know if it's worthy of a second dot, but I'm in Edmonton, canada, same as nerudite.

Yup. That dot is you. For some reason I was thinking Nerudite was in Calgary when I updated the map last night. Maybe it is all those job postings in the kiosk.

Lost_in_MSP

my location

Don't know if you got me when I introduced myself or not, but I'm in Minneapolis (aspiring to be back in Wisconsin - God's country)

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Yeah, I added you right after you introduced yourself. Glad to hear you want back into Wisconsin.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Michael Stumpf said:
Yup. That dot is you. For some reason I was thinking Nerudite was in Calgary when I updated the map last night. Maybe it is all those job postings in the kiosk.

Well... there is someone in Taber, which is somewhat near Calgary (a little further to the east I think)... so you don't have to move that dot too far...

Cardinal

Cyburbian
nerudite said:
Well... there is someone in Taber, which is somewhat near Calgary (a little further to the east I think)... so you don't have to move that dot too far...

Are you suggesting yet another Canadian dot? I think there are now more in Canada than in any other state.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Michael Stumpf said:
Are you suggesting yet another Canadian dot? I think there are now more in Canada than in any other state.

Nah... just move the Calgary dot that you thought was me down a bit and to the right a bit... that will take care of Lenze, who is from Taber Alberta.

See? Taber is near Lethbridge on this map (look down by Montana)...

canab1.gif