• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

Where are we from?

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
LMAO, Cardinal! although the AYBABTU is a bit too old now.. oh well, still funny!

oh and thanks for changing the dot! :)

What about me?

Do you have the lovely town of Kamloops, British Columbia, located 240 km northeast (B-line) of Vancouver?

I demand recognition!

(Yay, maps!)

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I should have been following this thread a little bit closer.

Great work, Cardinal! :)

jasmine

originally from manila, philippines, currently living in phoenix, arizona.

i miss the rain and the beaches.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
And he's doing a great job considering he's been dead for the last 30 years.

Look out Michigan - you're next ;)

No! The APA would never let any thing like that happen, how does Oh Canada go again?

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Michaelskis -
A better and tougher question for Transplanner is how does

"The Poor Little Girls of Ontario" go.
a bit obscure. B-)

Born in Ponce, PR
Raised in Hartford, CT
Living in Miami Beach, FL and enjoying every minute of it. :cool:

cnyOntario

Are there really 3 people from the Watertown, NY area on this site?

11Cyburbia_Map_-_Mar_17.jpg

I'm from Clay, which is only 10 miles north of Syracuse. Here's map of the urbanized area of NYS. Can't believe there is no one from Rochester, NY.

original.jpg

JNL

Cyburbian
Love your work - just a wee suggestion.....

Don't want to be difficult but....any chance of a world map with (roughly) geographically correct country locations? While I would love to be in the Northern hemisphere as winter approaches and to be able to pop across and check out India, it would also be kinda cool to see how far we all (really) are from each other.

Southern Hemispherian

JNL said:
Don't want to be difficult but....any chance of a world map with (roughly) geographically correct country locations? While I would love to be in the Northern hemisphere as winter approaches and to be able to pop across and check out India, it would also be kinda cool to see how far we all (really) are from each other.

Southern Hemispherian
Until fairly recently, this board was overwhelmingly populated with Americans. But, I am with you. I thought about saying something earlier but I know Americans get tired of another American cracking on how egocentric this culture is.

Nonetheless: I think it is time we Officially Acknowledge Dan's Great Achievement by doing a true world map to show how international this board is becoming. :)

Cardinal

Cyburbian
JNL said:

Southern Hemispherian

Hmmm.... maybe I could put together a GIF with a moving dot crossing the globe. ;)

I'll see what I can do with the next version. It may be a while though, as I am pretty busy for the next few weeks.

Doitnow

Cyburbian
JNL said:

Southern Hemispherian

Well! All I can say is that I live in the southern part of India in a city called Hyderabad.
And I am a lazy bum really. Not only am I not in the mood to upload some snaps from where I live but also I haven't shown my dot on the world map.

In anycase JNL you are welcome to India. Do let me know when you make another of yours round the world trip. Its quite far from NZ to Hyderabad, India but connections are getting better everyday. BTW right now its very very hot out here. Temps are reaching around 42 C now.
187011Cyburbia_Map_-_Mar_17.jpg

The city I live in always used to cool down in the evenings even after a very hot day but as weather patterns are changing globally, my city is also losing that charm and the beautiful environment.

PS
Remember I was having some problems with uploading images and even nowI pasted the photo link in this post but am neither able to preview it or see it in the final message.
In anycase, I've just added my location on the India Map( See Red Square mark)

[Mod Edit (NHPlanner): Image link fixed]

Last edited by a moderator:

JNL

Cyburbian
Doitnow!! said:
In anycase JNL you are welcome to India.

You mean I can have it? Sweet! Well, if that weren't the easiest annexation ever! A great start to my plans for world domination. :d: :-D ;)

Cardinal - maybe, instead of posting the map within a thread, the map could have its own page with a link from the forums main page? Perhaps when you update the map you could then send it to The Great Leader who could update the link? Just an idea!

Doitnow

Cyburbian
Thanks NHP.

easiest annexation

In your mind you can annex any kingdom, any continent you want. The capabilities of the human mind are what in Hindi and Sanskrit called 'Anant' meaning endless.

India is a huge country to annexed. All the more difficult now.
In anycase I think NZ would be one of the last countries to ever think of annexing. Now thats a compliment. right.!! :)

Put Me Down

Put me down as a few miles northwest of chicago imagine you are driving the beautiful and scenic interstate-90. It takes you through all of the best sprawling nations of the greater metropolitan area!

michaelskis

Cyburbian
JNL said:

Southern Hemispherian

This way you are close to us!

Kiltie

Add me to the map in The 'Peg, also known as Winterpeg, ;-) etc. More commonly known as Winnipeg, Manitoba.

Moving! Change my dot!

salomondesignboarder said:
Put me down as a few miles northwest of chicago imagine you are driving the beautiful and scenic interstate-90. It takes you through all of the best sprawling nations of the greater metropolitan area!

Since the home base is in a moving transition, please remove 1 number from the northwest suburbs of Chi Town and add a dot in the smack center of IOWA! (GO STATE and go Ames, but lets not have a repeat of police brutality and riots this year!)

Duke Of Dystopia said:
Put a dot down for Green Bay, WI

Green Bay eh! Whats the business card say ;-)

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I have been a bit slow on doing the updates, but I think I am caught up now. Wisconsin and Idaho lose a dot. Florida and Vermont gain them. Colorado loses one, but it gets replaced with one from Wisconsin. Moo.

I have everyone who posted a message in this thread so far, along with everyone who has introduced themselves up to June 26 (with more than just one or two posts).

0Cyburbia_Map_-_Jan_24-med.jpg

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
SkeLeton said:
New Mexico, Nebraska, and the Dakotas are the most active!

:-0 What about Delaware, New Mexico, Nevada, and West Virginia ? B-)

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Cardinal said:
I have been a bit slow on doing the updates, but I think I am caught up now. Wisconsin and Idaho lose a dot. Florida and Vermont gain them. Colorado loses one, but it gets replaced with one from Wisconsin. Moo.

I have everyone who posted a message in this thread so far, along with everyone who has introduced themselves up to June 26 (with more than just one or two posts).

Great to see that dot missing from north Ideehoo. :8:

ssc

Cyburbian
You can add me to the map if you are still updating it. I'm in Chatham, NY - southeast of Albany. :)

Man With a Plan

Cyburbian
Did Canada Annex Maine?

bizzo34 said:
Are there really 3 people from the Watertown, NY area on this site?

11Cyburbia_Map_-_Mar_17.jpg

I'm from Clay, which is only 10 miles north of Syracuse. Here's map of the urbanized area of NYS. Can't believe there is no one from Rochester, NY.

original.jpg

The One

Cyburbian
You know where I am

Cardinal said:
It was attempted once before, but it wasn't kept up. Let's try another mapping project. Sorry, but I don't have a base map including both the US and Canada. Sorry, Canadians. I've tried to include you anyway.

I have the following people's locations: Chet, Dan, EG NHPlanner, Transplanner, Plannergirl, me, Mike D., Planderella, Nerudite, Habanero, Prudence, BKM, Boiker, Pete-Rock, Runner, Xing500, Mike Gurnee, Cowley.11, GeogPlanner, Jresta, Budgie, Lee Nellis, Bucky Alum, Joe Iliff, Jestes.

If you don't want to give away your location publicly, send me a PM. Here's the first map:

Mod Edit (NHPlanner):Map deleted for bandwidth conservation. See map toward end of the thread.

See my previous PM

Oikon

Edge of continent

Put me down for Seaview, Washington State. Just south of Long Beach, which is south of Ocean Park, which is south of Surfside and Oysterville. Willapa Bay to the east and Pacific Ocean to the West and the Columbia River to the south.

See water is always on our mind.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Houston TEXAS here. I know I'm late to the game, but hopefully I can still get on the map. Just put me right in the middle of downtown.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I suppose it's time to come clean. If you still updating the map, put a spot for me in Anderson/Madison County in Indiana. Follow I-69 northeast from Indy near where it takes a big bend north.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
It will likely be a while before the next update. I have not been having good luck with my internet connection in the hotel, and am only checking in during lunch at work right now. Once I no longer homeless (may make an offer this week!) I should have a chance to update the map, and maybe get a new base map or two.

Location, location, location

Cardinal said:
It was attempted once before, but it wasn't kept up. Let's try another mapping project. Sorry, but I don't have a base map including both the US and Canada. Sorry, Canadians. I've tried to include you anyway.

I have the following people's locations: Chet, Dan, EG NHPlanner, Transplanner, Plannergirl, me, Mike D., Planderella, Nerudite, Habanero, Prudence, BKM, Boiker, Pete-Rock, Runner, Xing500, Mike Gurnee, Cowley.11, GeogPlanner, Jresta, Budgie, Lee Nellis, Bucky Alum, Joe Iliff, Jestes.

If you don't want to give away your location publicly, send me a PM. Here's the first map:

Mod Edit (NHPlanner):Map deleted for bandwidth conservation. See map toward end of the thread.

Northwest Suburb of Chicago, Park Ridge, Illinois

Last edited:

BKM

Cyburbian
THOFF said:
Northwest Suburb of Chicago, Park Ridge, Illinois

A very pleasant place. I worked just south of there one semester, in the northwest side of Chicago.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I'm surprised there are so few ... really, no admitted Cyburbians from Los Angeles or Las Vegas. SoCal's gotta' send us some lovin'.

I'm hitting up sites that carry the PLANetizen feed, to see if they'll carry the Cyburbia Forums feed as well. Thing is, most planning-related sites in LA were buiilt by or are maintained by Urban Insight, which is the home of ... you guessed it, PLANetizen.

The Cyburbia Forums feed doesn't compete with PLANetizen's news feed, but I'm mixed about soliciting sites that are so closely tied to Urban Insight.

tsc

Cyburbian
Main Street Maven said:
You can add me to the map if you are still updating it. I'm in Chatham, NY - southeast of Albany. :)

I driven through your Town...nice area. Getting a lot of New Yorkers on this site...
I am about 2 hours south down the Taconic.

Jeff Greig

Time to add another segment to you map. I am in Singapore (although born in Toronto and raised in Vancovuer)

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
DecaturHawk said:
Put me right smack dab in the middle of Illinois (Decatur).
OK, Cardinal, move my dot. Two weeks now in beautiful Grand Rapids, Michigan. I like it, I'm stayin'.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
DecaturHawk said:
OK, Cardinal, move my dot. Two weeks now in beautiful Grand Rapids, Michigan. I like it, I'm stayin'.

WHOOOO HOOOO

SW Michigan is going to dominate!

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Somehow my dot got lost in the latest update. Please put one over southern Indiana, just north of Louisville, KY, about midway between JNA and Cincinnati.

permaplanjuneau

Cyburbian
cheez and whine

JNL said:
Thanks for adding New Zealand!

I have a new flatmate who is Texan and has been educating us in American ways. Can you really buy cheese in an aerosol can???

Spray cheese is tricky, though, so I recommend reading the directions (really, I'm not making this up--it's on the back of two or three of the flavors, but not all of them)
"For best results, remove cap."

That's American Know-How for you.

Luckily, according to the last map in this thread, I'm not actually an American but am a Canadian. Since everyone in Canada already accepts US dollars, I won't have to worry about exchanging my money...my guess is that the IRS will still want me to pay them, but I'm not going to anymore. Retailers will probably be a bit confused when I insist on paying the GST, but that's their problem, right?

So, um...long story short, could you please add a dot for Juneau, Alaska when you get a chance? You're welcome to leave Alaska attached to Canada, or even just assist us in seceeding from the union by putting us off on our own if you want--no matter to me.

Last edited:

nighthawk1959

Cyburbian
Midland

Cardinal, if you place the dot almost touching Charlotte , in the next county to the east, there is the hawk's nest. Trying to get more of my board on here but no luck so far.

SGB

Cyburbian
SideshowBob said:
Hard Hittin' New Britain.

Connecticut

[ot]For those who don't speak Central Connecticutish, it's pronounced New Bri-ain. (The "t" is silent.)

SGB - Connecticut escapee for 15 years now. :D [/ot]