• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

Where are we from?

Jaxspra

Cyburbian
Well Mentarman, no blues this year ;(
I lived out in Wyoming for a short while and visited Salt Lake City, nice place...all of the west that I got a chance to visit is pretty nice...hope your enjoying STL...theres a lot of fun around and a lot of planning related activity going on all over...

Jaxspra said:
Well Mentarman, no blues this year ;(
I lived out in Wyoming for a short while and visited Salt Lake City, nice place...all of the west that I got a chance to visit is pretty nice...hope your enjoying STL...theres a lot of fun around and a lot of planning related activity going on all over...

Thanks, I am enjoying it (except for the NHL season). There are a lot of things I love about the West and SLC in particular, but I've really enjoyed living in more urban eastern cities. FYI, I've also lived in the Chicago area for school and Erie, Pa., DC, and Orange County, Calif., for internships and further schooling.
I'm not in the field but am interested in it. My girlfriend is sick of hearing me say, "You know what's wrong with this? Bad planning." She always knows the "bad planning" part is coming and is already rolling her eyes before I even say it. :-c

Jaxspra

Cyburbian
mentarman said:
Thanks, I am enjoying it (except for the NHL season). There are a lot of things I love about the West and SLC in particular, but I've really enjoyed living in more urban eastern cities. FYI, I've also lived in the Chicago area for school and Erie, Pa., DC, and Orange County, Calif., for internships and further schooling.
I'm not in the field but am interested in it. My girlfriend is sick of hearing me say, "You know what's wrong with this? Bad planning." She always knows the "bad planning" part is coming and is already rolling her eyes before I even say it. :-c

Ha ha, you will probably find yourself talking about "bad planning" in a lot of areas of STL, not so much in the downtown area...but especially in the suburbs...
Chicahgo is very nice and shows many good examples of what STL could be or could incorporate in the downtown area.

jenniplans

Cyburbian
Jefferson City, MO

Jefferson City, MO
Look in the middle of the state for Cole County along the Missouri River. It's all there.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
It has been five months since I updated our map. Blame it on moving, buying a new house, and trying to get settled in. Anyway, here is the new map, with everyone included who has signed up through December 1, 2004, and has more than just a couple of posts. I even got those of you who moved.

11Cyburbia_Map_-_Dec_1_04.jpg

noj

Cyburbian
May be too late, but anyway.....

I'm in the Peak District, UK - draw a line across the UK from the top of Wales, and then go down slightly from the middle of it

BIH80

Super Amputee Cat said:
What town? I will add you to the dotmap when you meet the minimum qualifications: 3 months registered + 50 posts.
Ah, that'd be nice. I'm in New Bern, for now. Hopefully I'll have moved to Wilmington within 3 months! So, I'll have to keep you posted. :)

Planit

Cyburbian
SERIOUS BUMP HERE

We go back to my hometown (St. Pete, FL) every year to see mom and sit on the beach - just got back.

Anyway Wee P said she thought it would be neat to live here. I told her things had changed quite a lot since when I grew up. She replied "But you just showed me your old school and house and beach." which was true. On our next errand run I started showing her things that had changed or weren't there back then.

Thought this might be an idea foor us and found this very old thread...so:

Where you from?
Things the same?
Things very different?
Would you move back (if you've left)?
Other comments?

*St. Pete, FL
*A few things have stayed the same, it was fairly built out when I was there - but mostly new commercial has changed the corridors & a part of the beach has several 6 story condos now.
*Downtown has had a surge of redevelopment looks pretty good
*Maybe, but only in certain places with the right opportunity only

zman

Cyburbian
*Centennial/Arapahoe County, Colorado (southern Denver suburb) I moved in 2000 when I went to college.

*The things that are the same is the heavy traffic on major roads, a couple of
established restaurants and the color of my old house (my folks moved in 2001).

*Yes, things are different. Even though the place was growing throughout the 80s and 90s when I was there. Still changes everytime I visit. Different places have sprung in empty areas, a field where I played soccer as a kid (a complex of many soccer fields) has since turned into yet another retail emporium.

*Would I move back? Doubtful. First off, I cannot afford a house there. Second, I have grown to love smaller towns and cities since living in northern Colorado that the sheer amount of people in my old area makes me a little crazy.

*I still have friends and family in the area. I have taken my wife to places that we used to frequent and I have a party to go to at my uncle's place a couple blocks away from my old house. My cousins currently go to my old high school, so I get a lot of the "buzz" from them. Thesedays, I usually drive through the area on I-25 on my way to my parents' new place south of the Denver metro.

TexanOkie

Cyburbian
Where you from?
Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex, south central suburbs (Arlington, Mansfield)
Things the same? Things very different?
Arlington is still largely the same. There a little bit more development, mostly in the suburban style, and the entertainment district has expanded a little bit with the new Cowboys monstrosity.

Mansfield still has the same feel to it, but technically has completely transitioned from exurban town of 20,000 to sprawling housing tract suburbia coterminous with Arlington to the north and Grand Prairie to the east. The central part of town has largely been preserved.

The Metroplex, as a whole, has a lot more people in it than even when I was in high school (turn-of-millenium). There's something like an extra 1.5 million people in the metro area. Downtown Fort Worth has continued is residential renaissance it began in the early 1990's, while Downtown Dallas is starting to see a lot of residential and geographic expansion north of Woodall Rogers Freeway (it's significantly expanded the downtown skyline). The advent and success of the DART rail lines have happened since high school (they were introduced when I was there, but they weren't packed like they have been the few times I've been back). DFW Airport has added a whole new terminal (I don't know if it's the 5th or 6th one). Most metro expansion has been north of Dallas into Collin and Denton counties, but since I've been gone it's started to pick up heavily east of Dallas and north of Fort Worth, as well.
If given an employment opportunity that was too good to pass up, yes. I have this weird thing about making my own path, and am afraid if I move back, I will start relying on pre-established social and economic networks and sharing them with my parents. I'd have to move to north Dallas to put some distance between the networks, but even then it's only 30-50 miles distance, and a lot of people I grew up with and in my parents' circle either live or work in Dallas now. I just don't know. I'd take it over Austin, though, just due to the shear number of people in the area creating more diversity of social scene/culture.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
I am originially from Wheeling, IL, a 2nd ring suburb of Chicago. I moved out in 1996 (when I was still a kid), when my family move out to a 3rd ring suburb.

Things the same? The traffic, the good-quality municipal facilities/parks, a few of the iconic restaurants, the good-quality schools, the feeling of "community".

Things very different? The demographics...blue collar/middle class white neighborhoods turned into hispanic neighborhoods and many of the blue collar white families became wealthier and moved up or moved out. Oh and everything's gotten a lot more expensive, as far as housing and such goes. We sold our house there for like $125K, it's probably doubled in value now. Many stores have changed or closed or were bull-dozed and a new building was constructed, etc. K-Mart is gone, Arby's is gone, the bagel shop and record store were replaced by yet another Walgreens. The Milwaukee Avenue corridor has changed dramatically with the construction of new condos and more retail/restaurants/hotels. Also, infrastructure improvements were made (Route 83 was widened, Palatine Road was moved, and Pal-waukee Airport became Chicago Executive Airport and improvements were made there too). And improvements to the parks and other public facilities like the library continue to be made, although one I wasn't happy with one improvement, when they turned my sledding hill into a naturalized wet-detention basin.

Would I move back? Probably not, since it's in Cook County, and the prices for everything are too high (property taxes, sales tax, housing, etc.). Also, it's become too dense and most of the houses there are pretty small (most of the housing stock is 1000 sf ranches or apartments/condos). It was great growing up there as a little kid in the 90s, but things have changed a lot around there since then. It just wouldn't be the same. Still nice to go back every now and then, and go to our favorite restaurants and drive around the old neighborhood, but that's just about all I need. My aunt lives really close by, so whenever we go there for family parties, we usually explore the old neighborhood and see all the changes. But for now, I'm comfortable living in the outer burbs.

Rygor

Cyburbian
I was born in Kankakee, Illinois, but moved around the suburbs a lot from the time I was 7 until I graduated high school. I lived in Elmhurst the longest and that's where I went to Jr. High/High School, so I GUESS I'm "from" there.

Things the same? Some of the old establishments remain (Angelo's Restaurant, York Theater). The parks are still great and there are still a lot of trees. Schools are still good from what I hear.

Things very different? There have been a lot of changes in the downtown area. A lot of mixed-use buildings and it's been gentrified a lot. It's a lot denser now. They revitialized an aging shopping center at Rt. 83 and St. Charles Rd and completely rebuilt my high school (basically tore it down and built new in it's place) in the early 2000's. A lot of smaller homes have been torn down and replaced with giant McMansions. They completely rebuilt the library and it's amazing now.

Would you move back (if you've left)? I don't think I could handle living in the Chicago area again. I've gotten used to the quiet and slower pace of a smaller city (and college town life). Also, I don't think I could afford it anytime soon. Home prices there are ridiculous.

Other comments? I'll be going back there this coming weekend to see some friends who are having their baby's baptism. They own a house there now (clearly make a lot more $$ than me).

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thought this might be an idea foor us and found this very old thread...so:

Where you from?
Things the same?
Things very different?
Other comments?

Beaverton, Oregon. Large suburban town about 10 miles west of Portland.

Last time I was there was in 2003 for my mom's funeral. Demographically it has changed for the better and is more diverse-it was pretty white bread growing up. More population and more schools. They annexed a lot during the 90s and most of it was pretty built out by 2003 so it probably looks pretty much the same.

Would I move back? I am not opposed to it, but since both my parents have died and I don't have any other family there really is no reason to go back, even for a visit. While I am in touch with some old friends, the ties aren't that strong that I feel a pull in that direction. A curious thing about the Portland Metro area is that it has always had issues with employment and had a slightly higher than average unemployment rate even in a booming economy. Once timber and low tech manufacturing went out, there wasn't a whole lot to replace it. The dot.com boom hit it hard as well. It is a beautiful place to grow up and live in and it will always be the "home of my heart".

That said, I've made a decent life for myself here in NJ and will stay here for the time being. If I move again it will be overseas to pursue international development work.

ursus

Cyburbian, raised by Cyburbians
I am from Bountiful Utah. Apart from 2 years in Argentina and 2 years in an apartment a few miles from my childhood home, I live now at the end of the block I grew up on. That's right. It's like "Everybody Loves Raymond" but in real life. And I'm more like Robert than Raymond.

Everything is exactly the same in my little neighborhood, but very different in the Salt Lake Metro area (I'm maybe 3 minutes north of the City).

I've been waiting all my adult life for the fabulous job offer from somewhere in the San Diego area because I would love to live in San Diego. I've waited this long, so it looks like I'm staying.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Where you from?
Things the same?
Things very different?
Other comment?.....

- Ft. Bragg CA.
- The timber and fishing industries have collapsed in my hometown. Sawmills and fish houses closed. They have their selves to blame. Over logging caused silting of the streams resulting in loss of spawning habitat. Over fishing in the ocean resulted in fewer salmon moving up-stream to spawn. Vicious cycle.
It's now a tourism based economy.
- Can't move back. Taxes would kill me. I love my home state, but I feel sorry for them.
- I enjoy my life in Florida.