• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Where do you buy your groceries?

Runner

Cyburbian
Just looked out the window at the H-E-B warehouse (GM distribution center not one of their stores). They are the local regional grocery store that I worked for for a few years as a driver supervisor during my only foray into private sector employment.

They are a great company where we do most all of our grocery shopping. http://www.heb.com/index.html

I understand WalMart is now gunning for grocery stores from both sides (Supercenters and now Neighborhood Markets).

Where do you predominantly shop for your groceries?

Last edited:

kms

Cyburbian
I shop at a local chain. They have expanded the store and have a decent selection. The only thing they don't sell is milk from a local dairy, so I buy that at the dairy or another chain that does sell it.

It looks like Walmart will build a super center across the highway from where I shop, but I'll continue to use the market I use. I can walk to it it if I have to, or if I want.

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
We have 4 grocery stores in town - Kroger, Felpausch, Meijer and Walmart Supercenter. I hate Walmart - it's dirty and it bugs me that the titles over each aisle are triangular in shape so you can't see what's in the aisle unless you stand looking straight into the aisle. I shop regularly at Meijers, which is a chain based in MI, with stores in MI, OH, IN, IL, and I think WI.

No local markets here, unless you consider the Ala Mexicana store and the R&G Market (arab).

The Capital Region is down to pretty much Price Chopper and Hannaford - two local chains. I'm still dreaming of a day when Donny Wegman will make an Eastern Expansion and grace us with his . store.

SGB

Cyburbian
We've got a Wegman's. Think big-box, 98% groceries and a beer selection to die for.

jmf

Cyburbian
We have 2 small grocery stores in our town and there are 2 large markets in the next town plus the new Wal-mart which I haven't been to yet (ever). Despite this there are only 2 distriubution centres for all of NS one by Sobeys (based in Pictou County, Nova Scotia) and one by Atlantic Superstore (Loblaws).

"Sobeys Inc. .... operating 1,323 corporate and franchised retail stores principally under the names IGA, Sobeys, Garden Market IGA, IGA extra, Price Chopper, Bonichoix, Knechtel and Foodland."

So no matter where we shop we end up shopping at Loblaws or Sobeys.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I tend to lean towards Loblaws (either No Frills, Loblaws Market, or Your Independent Grocer) 'cause I like a lot of the No Name and President's Choice products. There is a 24-hour Dominion near us so we hit them sometimes too if we need to shop at an odd hour.

There are very few independent grocery chains left in Canada.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I mix it up depending on what groceries I need. If I need to do a major shopping trip, I go for Pick n Save or Jewel. Although every time i go to Jewel, I swear I am never going back because no matter what one you go to, the cashiers are slow and incompetent.

If just need a few things I go to a Sentry around the corner from my apartment. If I need hard to find or gourmet items, I go to Sendik's (a locally owned upscale chain) or Outpost (a local natural foods co-op). Both of which are too expensive to regularly shop at.

I shop or as we like to say down here, "make groceries," at my local Winn Dixie. I absolutely hate Super Walmart. I know many people that sing Walmart praises and carry on about the lower prices and yadda yadda yadda. What they never seem to understand is that by the time you drive further out to the Walmart, you spend that money you allegedly saved on the groceries on gas instead. Also, while some items are cheaper, other items aren't and the selections suck.

I also like to get fresh spices, seasonings and green vegetables from the farmers market that's set up in the downtown area on Saturday mornings, plus I occassionally shop at the French Market for fruits and vegetables.

SGB said:
We've got a Wegman's. Think big-box, 98% groceries and a beer selection to die for.
Hey buddy! No need to brag! Sigh. Whenever I go to Rochester to visit my friends, they take me to their Pittsford store for lunch, and then I wander the aisles.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
I shop at the Iowa Based Hy-Vee chain. Some of their stores are 70,000 sq ft behemoths but ours isn't.

donk

Cyburbian
Where I live we have 2 sobeys (50 000 square feet and 15 000 square feet), 1 Atlantic Super Store (50 000 square feet), one Save -easy (15 000 square feet) and one Atlantic Co-Op (20 000 square feet). In reality the superstore and save easy are the same thing.

I typically shop at the save easy,it is the closest to my house and has most of what I want. Plus I have most of the check out girls trained how I liked my groceries packed. (ie Cheese and meat never in the same bag, certain items packed with other items because they go together in the cupboard). This is one of teh benefits to living in a small place.

The floor plan for the previously proposed walmart had a food section. It was only freezer / factory foods though. it will be interesting to see what the next one has.

In season I'll also stop at a few farmer's markets or road side stands for fresh items.

BKM

Cyburbian
Northern California is pretty much foodie heaven. There is a local chain (about seven stores now) called Nugget Markets that last year opened a new store in Vacaville. Colored concrete floors, track lighting, locked wine racks with $100 cabs, European cheeses, etc. The best chunk of salmon I've ever bought at a gorcery store! What's nice is unlike some of the Bay Area stores (one local, Andronicos, has been nicknamed "Astronomicos"), their "normal" stuff is fairly priced.

I also shop a lot at Trader Joes, an awesome chain of smaller specialty groceries that offers interesting stuff for really good prices. Trader Joes rules!

When I'm in the Bay Area, I'll sometimes stop at Whole Foods or some of the local markets. And, during the summer, Vacaville has a farmers' market.

You couldn't get me to shop at WalMart at gunpoint.

Habanero

Cyburbian
I shop Fry's or Safeway out here for the main things, and then Sprouts (a smaller market) for the vegetables and good for you things- like soy milk. :)

I miss HEB- especially Central Market.

Mary Poppins

Cyburbian
We have several grocery stores around us..Shaw's, Hannaford, Market Basket, Sam's Club, and of course Wal-Mart. We never shop at wal-mart because TIm and I both hate it there, and their meat and produce looks like it has been there for months!
I prefer Shaw's, but we make quick runs to the smaller Market Basket because it is very close to our house. It doesn't have a great selection, but it does have cheaper prices and is great when we are just grabbing a few quick items.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Don't do that much grocery shopping, but 'round here I like Hen House (a local supermarket chain, somewhat upscale leaning) and Sun Fresh (lots of single women shopping at their store in the Westport area of Kansas City!).

I'm too far from a Wal-Mart Superstore or Super Target to make shopping for groceries there practical.

I miss Wegmans ... and another Buffalo fave, Tops. Tops isn't as upscale as Weggies, but their stores are just as large, and they tend to have huge ethnic food selections (the one near my parents' house has an aisle filled with home market products from Asia; it's great for fans of Japanglish!), and the beer selection dwarfs that of Wegmans. I prefer Wegmans, though, for all-around good vibes.

When I lived in New Mexico, I shopped at Smith's, which was reportedly owned by the Mormon Church. Locals, for some reason, loved a local chain called Van someting-or-another. Their stores literally looked like they were transported from the 1950s, unintentionally retro with bare fluorescent lighting, old-school Muzak and checkered floors. I didn't see the appeal. Supermarkets across the Texas border in El Paso were awful, especially the local Juarez chains with stores north of the border. Imagine getting a newspaper insert in the El Paso Times, advertising some store like "Super Gigante Monstero Magnifico Mercado", with all products listed in Spanish, and prices listed in both pesos and dollars.

For such a wealthy city, Denver's supermarkets were nothing to write home about. King Soopers was the local favorite; there was also Albertsons, Cub Foods and Safeway. Yawn.

jmf

Cyburbian
KMateja said:

Hey buddy! No need to brag! Sigh. Whenever I go to Rochester to visit my friends, they take me to their Pittsford store for lunch, and then I wander the aisles.
I do that everywhere different. It is amazing how diiferent stores are from area to area. The big find years ago in NH, I think, was Goober Grape Jelly and Peanut Butter. It was awesome now it just seems gross.

When we were in France a couple of years ago it was neat to see all of the McCain frozen veggies (New Brunswick based company). Last year when we were in SC I tried to get to a grocery store for an extended look but Paul kept avoiding it - next time!

ecofem

Cyburbian
Publix (Florida-based grocery which is creeping around the Southeast)

Fresh Market

Costco

Nothing too exciting! Wish Trader Joes would move into the South!

kms

Cyburbian
off topic re: Goober and Grape. My neighbor makes FedEx deliveries to a Smucker's plant and brings home fresh Goober and Strawberry, usually made that day. It's second quality, because the lines of jelly and PB are squiggly, and it's about $1 for a jar. I've never seen it in stores; he thinks they send it overseas.

nerudite

Cyburbian
BKM said:
I also shop a lot at Trader Joes, an awesome chain of smaller specialty groceries that offers interesting stuff for really good prices. Trader Joes rules!

I miss Trader Joes more than anything... I've been shopping there my whole life. :(

Up here there's a Safeway two blocks away, or a Superstore, SavOn Foods, or IGA a few miles away. Out of convenience, I usually shop at Safeway. Although I do produce shopping at the T & T asian market about two miles away and I get meat at the Grapevine deli across the street from my work. Sometimes, if I really feel up to it, I'll trek toward downtown to Debaji's...a good organic food store.

plannerkat

Cyburbian
Publix is the best that my corner of NE Florida has to offer. There are a couple of Harris Teeter's and Fresh Markets in town, though they are far beyond my daily driving radius-way out in the burbs.

Wal-Mart is continuing their evil empire's expansion into this market with the Neighborhood Market. I will shop at Food Lion (are they as gross elsewhere as they are here?) before I ever buy groceries from Wal-Mart!

I long for the day that Whole Foods Market (or equivalent) opens near me.

el Guapo

Capitalist
I shop at the Berkeley Area Vegan Gender Role Neutral Womyn’s Organic Food Co-op and Pharmacy. It is only accessible to workers who travel by public transportation, walking or bike. It only accepts Red-Worker Coupons earned by willing participation in the People’s Labor Pool Exchange Program. No plastics or CFCs are used in the energy efficient bamboo and hemp solar building designed by the Womyn’s Architect Co-op of Lawrence, Kansas. All of our waste is composted and all food stuffs are prepared according to Gaia’s wishes as set forth in Nosh Magazine’s guide to Staying Vegan whilst surrounded by swine. Store workers are encouraged to take breaks when they need to if they are feeling despondent over the occupation of the White House by an unelected war-monger who will harm the noble peoples of Iraq.

All people are welcome – except white men who feel no guilt.

Free Mumia Abu-Jamal!

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Publix!!!!!

Publix is the best grocery store ever! However, I just moved to NoVA and they have don't have the most wonderful grocery store ever, they have Harris Teeter and Whole Foods by me. I would do almost anything to have Publix near me again. Don't get me wrong, the other groceries are nice but no company can compare to that wonderful grocery store named Publix, where shopping is a pleasure!!

Publix has the best bakery. Their cake icing is so superior to all the other stores. And trust me, I am a cake icing connoisseur. All of their fresh food is so wonderful and not so bloody expensive as the other groceries. Plus, no matter what Publix you go into, they are always clean and staffed with helpful people. How I miss the great grocery store of the South!

I love Publix!!! (Help me, I have been stuck inside an apartment for 4 days with my first real experience of snow.)

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Kohls Food Emporium (formerly owned by the Senator from WI)
if I want hard to find items

Pick n Save (Shop Rite) for the bi-monthly load up the trunk run

Jewel-Osco (Albertsons) if I dont have another choice.

Places I refuse to go:
1. Aldi - dirty, slow, and quirky
2. Super Wal Mart - for all the reasons stated in other posts.

BKM

Cyburbian
EL Guapo: Your choice of store is incorrect. It does not emply only Third World Refugees of Color Fleeing the Corporate Menace.

I would suggest driving your SUV to an anti-war rally and adding this topic to the grafitti you spray on nearby cars and buildings!

I remember Aldi. When I was in college in Peoria, one of my frugal roomates used to shop there. They had the world's nastiest store brand canned goods. Yucko!

Last edited by a moderator:

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Say no to Walmart!

Believe it or not, I have yet to enter a Wal*Mart store. I do my grocery shopping at the local supermarkets. It's convenient and the selection is pretty decent.

I've been predominantly vegetarian for 20+ years, so I'm more concerned about the price (and quality) of fresh produce than anything else. I would imagine that Wal*Mart carries mostly name-brand items, supersize boxes of diapers, etc. that I don't buy. I don't see them selling veggie burgers, organic milk and tofu...

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Big chain - Shaw's
Little chain - Hi Lo

I've heard a rumor that Trader Joe's is coming to town. I hope so because I find it very hard to find produce that doesn't look fit for the dumpster.

el Guapo

Capitalist
BKM said:
EL Guapo: Your choice of store is incorrect. It does not emply only Third World Refugees of Color Fleeing the Corporate Menace.

I would suggest driving your SUV to an anti-war rally and adding this topic to the grafitti you spray on nearby cars and buildings!
You are correct about the noble peoples fleeing oppression, may I offer a moment of silence for the victims of George Bush and his Enron Cabal.

You are incorrect; Guapo only owns eco-friendly Swedish passenger cars tuned to emit only whiffs of H20 and raspberry vinaigrette out of my tailpipe. And I only use vegetable based paint for tagging the corporate running dog lackeys of Dick Cheney!

It looked to me like it was heading in the direction of another "I'm such a good planner/person because I only use cruelty-free hemp toilet paper made by the Guatemalan (This word must be over-pronounced NPR style) people's toilet paper collective...aren't I wonderful?..." thread.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Right now I'm buying groceries at my neighborhood Giant Eagle, a chain here in Western PA. The selection is never that great and the prices are a little steeper then they should be but it's within walking distance. There's a new whole foods on the other side of own but it's too far to drive for just milk and bread.
Truth be told, I miss the Harris Teeter (Their Downtown Charleston, SC location is a converted train depot) and Ukrops. Those of you in Richmond, VA know that Ukrops is the #@$&*!

Publix

When we lived in South Carolina, Rob and I used to drive 20 miles out of the way to grocery shop at Publix - it was clean and the employees were extremely friendly (which is expected at almost any southern grocery store) and efficient (which, and i expect flames, but definitely was in short commodity in most southern grocery stores).

Their produce and deli sections rocked!

biscuit

Cyburbian
Yeah, the deli at Publix is da bomb. I remember that they were about the only place that you could get Boars Head meat.

OMG! Whenever we move someplace new that is one of the FIRST things we scout for - Boars Head! Best Smoked Turkey EVER!

biscuit

Cyburbian
A Boars Head italian sub from Publix with oil & vinager and Boars Head honey mustard. MMMMMMMM.......I think it's time for a second lunch.

BKM

Cyburbian
EG's enlightenment, continued....

In your enlightenment, E. G., I imagine you pronounce Cuba "Cooooba," not "Cyewba" like illiterate Americans. :)

el Guapo

Capitalist
You ought to hear me pronounce Fidel. I get seven syllables out of it. Just like NPR.

There is a conservative's only drinking game where you take a shot every time someone on NPR Hyper-Pronounces a foreign name. You’re drunk in 30 minutes easy. The lib version would be taking a shot everytime Rush says something nice about Bush. Many people die during the 3 hour program from alcohol induced shock and comas. ;)

And for my real answer - I like Food-4-Less, Wal Mart and Dillons. When I want to go slumming I go to Sav-A-Lot. When I want spice I go to the International Food Store in KC. I live in middle America.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
biscuit said:
A Boars Head italian sub from Publix with oil & vinager and Boars Head honey mustard. MMMMMMMM.......I think it's time for a second lunch.
I must agree with you. Yummy. The Publix Philly cheese steak subs are yummy too, esp. with BH. The Publix deli rocks!

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Just about everyone in Wisconsin shops at Woodman's, whose grocery stores typically have a fifty-mile market. For more regular purchases its Sentry, and when I need something unusual I'll drop in at Brennan's or Whole Foods.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
El Guapo said:
I shop at the Berkeley Area Vegan Gender Role Neutral Womyn’s Organic Food Co-op and Pharmacy.
I know the place!

(I'll also nominate your rant as Post of the Month. :) )

The Irish One

I shop at the Berkeley Area Vegan Gender Role Neutral Womyn’s Organic Food Co-op and Pharmacy. It is only accessible to workers who travel by public transportation, walking or bike.
you'll have a Mercedes if you shop at any of these ultra expensive stores on a regular basis-but for a tasty vegetarian or meat dish I highly recommend Long Life Veggie House. Delicious Chinese food.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Dan said:
(I'll also nominate your rant as Post of the Month. :) )
I'd like to thank the members of Cyburbia, My personal savior, and redeemer - The big "G" (points to the sky, while touching his heart with the other hand) You know him as God, my wife, my children -those both known and unknown to me - my producer Brian Turk. Brian stand up...there he is in the back...I'd also like to thank all the little people who provide fodder for my evil streak, and last but not least...Free Tibet!

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Poor Trail Nazi, we will have to ship her a few pounds of Publix cake icing (no joke, that was a normal gift for her when she was in FL). It is the ONLY decent store in FL. Albertson's sometimes. Actually Winn-Dixie has the best Cubans altho' the last one I got was a bit skimpy on the meat. Kash & Karry/Food Lion is always nasty but has great prices if you stay away from meat, dairy, etc. Super Wal-Mart; save on Breyer's ice cream, that's about it.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Planderella said:
I shop or as we like to say down here, "make groceries," at my local Winn Dixie.
Ah, the days of walking around a grocery store with a cold beer fresh off the tap... *sigh*

Now, it's either Ray's, here in town, or "the valley". Going to town is 45 miinutes, but you have Rainbow Foods, who recently had Rhiengold beer for $1.75 a six-pack or some very nice upscale brews for $3.00 a six. Other than that, there's a local warehouse type grocery store... they have a walk-in beer cooler. Some day I'm going to sit in there and get buzzed.

Oh, and Albertson's has real nice meat and seafood slaes every other week.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
When I lived in Orlando, I wasn't far from an intersection that was fronted by a Publix, Albertsons and Winn-Dixie. I'm not really a huge fan of Publix; it was the best of the three, but nothing compared to a Wegmans or Tops.

By the way, the Buffalo born-and-bred Tops now has stores in Thailand and Malaysia, thanks to Royal Ahold.

Buffalo Tops

Indonesia Tops

I'm a few blocks away from a big Wild Oats, a chain that is the equivalent of Whole Foods. Great selection of skin care products, veggies, fruit and meat, and great service. The other customers, though ... gawd, it's as if all that organic food just zaps your emotions and makes you mean. Walk through the aisles, smile at someone, and they respond as if they were visually assaulted.

Here's a funky supermarket chain ... get down ...

Skeleton ... want to explain a grocery store chain in Chile with a name that translates to Saint Isabel?

BKM

Cyburbian
Surly ex-Hippies

There is a Wild Oats in Berkeley, too.

Continuing a tradition of off-topic comments:

What is it about ex-hippies and baby boomer generation BOBOs in general (Bourgeoise Bohemians)? (I may be approaching the BIG 40, but I totally disavow identification with the Baby Boomer generation)

They ARE the least friendly group of people on the planet. I thought Berkeley was all about "Peace and Love, Man," but even in big cities you don't see the preponderance of scowls and ignored nods. Just the sheer level of aggressive indifference is amazing. I'm not even looking for southern-style friendliness,. but . . .

giovannitp

Cyburbian
Well, now that I can save on gas & some of my groceries there I'm gonna have to put my vote down for Kroger. I make a killing in there with my Kroger Plus card!