• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

Where do you buy your groceries?

nerudite

Cyburbian
Although it's not Berekely, Davis has a great food co-op. I used to love getting fresh milk in real glass bottles with next to no preservatives (recyclable, of course!). Nothing is better than cold milk from a glass bottle. They also had a great deli with very yummy hummus sandwiches.

In L.A., Gelson's was the place where I would treat myself... wonderful produce and great selection of upscale items (but for a price). Good place to check out the local celebrities late at night (look for skinny chicks with baseball hats trying to go incognito).

I made rob stop at the Piggly Wiggly on the SC coast, just so I could say I'd been. hee!

I actually LOVE to grocery shop. Rob and I play a game, a la Price is Right to see who can guess how much that week's groceries will cost as we stand in line for checkout. Loser returns the cart. I'm also obsessed with checking my UPromise account weekly to see how much money I'm saving for my future child's college through Food, Gas and phone calls. yay!

biscuit

Cyburbian
Notorious P.I.G.

I can't believe I dissed the Piggly Wiggly by not giving props. I lived across the street from a Pig while in college so it made for an easy beer run before hitting the beach. The best thing about the Pig is that they still have Green Stamps. My house-mates and I saved enough stamps to get a grill and a stereo for our backyard tiki-bar.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Planderella said:
Wow! They still have green stamps??

Oh yeah they've still got 'em. And up until about three years ago, when they finally went electronic, you still recieved the booklets and lickable stamps at the register.

el Guapo

Capitalist
KMateja said:
Rob and I play a game, a la Price is Right to see who can guess how much that week's groceries will cost as we stand in line for checkout. Loser returns the cart.

Kelly,
Like, OMG! - We play the same game: The Cash Register Game! The Loser has to haul the groceries up the stairs, while the winners get to put them up and eat Doritos.

More freaky similarities.

- Love Woggie.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
My wife and I usally just play over/under with the grocery bill (i.e. will it be over or under budget)...and we don't have a bet riding on it. Hmmm...sounds like a new game will start soon!

pete-rock

Cyburbian
In the Chi, it's Jewel or Dominick's. Jewel is still locally owned; Dominick's was bought awhile ago by Safeway.

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
Anywhere except WalMart. But out here in the boonies there is no selection. Just about any meat other than beef has to be special ordered. "Lamb? We had one leg last Easter...let me see if it sold". Fish is either frozen or rancid. And no one has heard of country ham, darn it.

My wife is a coupon freak. Once she got cash back from doing groceries.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
When I was in the US my parents shopped at Shop Rite ;) and K-Mart also, if my memory doesn't fail :p (I was 6-8 don't ask that much)

steveanne

Supermarkets of America

Let's see. Started with Tops and Wegmans (my fave) in Rochester, NY. Went to school south of Erie, PA and had Giant Eagle and (thank God) Wegmans... Moved to Orlando, FL and ended up with Publix, Albertsons, and Winn Dixie. Oh, and the Super Walmart in Kissimmee. Now, it's Chicago, IL with Dominicks (Safeway), Jewel (Albertsons), and Cub Foods! I've seen a ton, but nothing compares to Wegmans for quality, price, and selection. Now the lucky people in the DC area and possibly Baltimore will be seeing it soon...

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
Meijer or Hardings

Usually Meijer because they have double coupons everyday up to $0.50. Being that I am thrifty single dutchman I plan by meals according to what is on sale and what coupons I have.

ON average I save $10 -$15 per trip to the store I usually walk out spending only $25-$35 per week. Not including beer.

Meijer all the way

Jen

Cyburbian
Oh to shop for leisure, my trips are caffeine fueled attacks with the oversized carts at Meijers, a million reasonsa single store.

I dont have much guilt at shopping at a big box cause this is a home grown big box store. Though the family owned chains are nice for their smaller size and goood quality. Like Leppinks, Jorgensons, and Hardings (in Plainwell it has a lovely vintage neon blinking sign).

What west Michigan needs is a Trader Joes, and a local ZIngermann's (out of Ann Arbor)

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
Usually Meijer because they have double coupons everyday up to $0.50. Meijer all the way
I hear ya!!

But for some reason that I'm not going to argue, here in Coldwater we have double coupons up to $1.00!!

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Ugh....the Meijers store in Muncie, IN just disgusted me....went in there once and never returned during my college days. I thank god we don't have any of those monstrosities here in New England!

Re: Supermarkets of America

steveanne said:
Let's see. Started with Tops and Wegmans (my fave) in Rochester, NY.
Sung to the Tops Jingle:
"Tops nevers mops..... look at their floors"
hee!

And to El Guapo - mad props to my soul brotha! :)

El Feo

Cyburbian
Any of the other Boston-area folks here shop at Roche Brothers? God, I love their meat counter. I only go there when I'm feeling a little rich. One of those places where the bag-persons (?) still push your cart out to the car and help you load.

I tried to insist one time I could handle it myself. Apparently, that's just not done. Seems to be their "thing," so who am I to argue?

Hey, Guess what?

I am a Wegmans Employee. Being a college student I have to do something, and they give a scholarship.

Look out Virginia and Maryland, Wegmans is coming to a suburb near you in 2004!!

steveanne

Yodan731 said:
Hey, Guess what?

I am a Wegmans Employee. Being a college student I have to do something, and they give a scholarship.

I too was the lucky recipient of free money for college just for working at a really good company I worked at Wegmans Mt. Read in Greece, New York from the age of 15 and all the way through college (Wegmans on peach Street in Erie, PA) just to make some extra cash. Good company!

OhioPlanner

Cyburbian
I saw this in Amsterdam a few weeks ago and had to get a picture. Seriously though I shop at Big Bear a regional chain or Kroger.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Yeah, I'd have to agree with NHPlanner on the Meijer in Muncie. It's still pretty gross. Out where I live, we can choose between Kroger, Meijer, SuperTarget, and soon....a SuperWalmart! Aren't we lucky! But I usually go to Trader Joe's, or SuperTarget. And the farmer's market downtown--mmmm, corn.

mezcal323

I grocery shop infrequently, but am trying to do so more often to save money since eating out in LA is anywhere from $10-15 a meal times however many times a day equals less money in mezcals pocket ...

I LOVE Trader Joes, and just moved near one in Silverlake, been going there since I was pre-natal ... am always frustrated tho by their small amount of parking and hard-to-navigate aisles, as if they dont expect crowds?

I love the produce section at Whole Foods, and their salad bar is amazing, well, the one on Third Street is freshest ...

only problem with those two is that they close early (11PM) and I prefer to shop in the dead of night when its least likely Ill have to compete with screaming children or obnoxiously cute couples ... in that case its Ralphs ... but I try to avoid stores like that becoz their products tend to be more laden with nasty chemicals ...

Nero

Plannerbabs said:
Yeah, I'd have to agree with NHPlanner on the Meijer in Muncie. It's still pretty gross.

That's because Muncie is pretty gross.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Rumor is, Trader Joe's might be coming to Milwaukee. From what everyone says positive about the place, I hope its either near my home or work (fat chance).

mmm....forbidden doughnut.

I shop at the local farmer's market, Trader Joe's, and the People's Food Co-Op. Most of those are within a short bike ride from my house. There's also a Wild Oats-owned grocery store called 'Natures', which has fresh, local, organic meats.

We have Fred Meyer up here, which is like a small Wal-Mart, but with groceries. I only go there if I'm in need of some chemically cleaner stuff or tuperware.

:D

Repo Man

Cyburbian
It has been mentioned by Bayshore's owners that Trader Joes is a possibility for the redeveloped mall. I sure hope so. I have only been there once but it is a very cool, and cheap, food store. I especially enjoyed the two-buck chuck wines (3 bucks in the midwest).

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Schnuck's - they are out of St. Louis
when visiting nj there is a Trader Joe's that in an old A&P.
anybody old enough to remember the aroma of an A&P coffee grinder?

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Grocery Shopping Poll

There was another thread, a year or so ago, that asked the hungry residents of Cyburbia where they grocery shopped. That thread was not a poll, though. With that in mind, jump in to this poll with your selection.

Discussions of retail pop up often here in Cyburbialand. Often, it is lamenting the end of CBD grocery retail OR the smash-mouth influence of Wal-Mart groceries.
(In browsing the olde thread I only saw one or two posts that the person admitted to shopping for groceries at WallyWorld. Mmmmm....)

I have certainly not included every major (and or major regional) chain on this list. And with all of the consolidation, some of the poll selections may already be memories and/or owned by another poll selection. There may be a major regional that I missed. Sorry about that.

What say you? Where do you grocery shop?

Bear

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I frequently do my heavyweight grocery shopping at a regional chain called 'Meijer's'. Otherwise if I just need to get a 2 litre of ginger ale and some English muffins I run over to a small locally owned chain called 'Harding's'

Interesting historical note: Mr. Walton borrowed/appropriated many of the signature supermarket/department store operational practices which have become forever associated with Wally World from Fred Meijers - just not the paying employees 3rd world wages part.
http://www.meijer.com/

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
This Bear does most grocery shopping at the small grocery store, along the main strip highway, here in beautiful Swanton, OH. Selection not as good as Kroger, prices quite similar, meats are better, aisles too skinny but not crowded, great looking cashiers.

The Kroger Store is just a block down the strip and gets most of the grocery business here in town. Katie shops there. She thinks the prices are better and loves the bigger selection. Of course, she "shops". Me? I just "grab" and go.

Related Note: In my nine (9) years of living in this community I have watched that little grocery store slowly lose sales volume, in terms of visible customers. I wonder how much longer they can hold on.

Bear Buying Cream Of Wheat & Rolling Rocks

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
I do the bulk of my shopping at Meijer. However the wife and I are attracted to other stores by their sales. Local chain D&W Food Centers will see the wife and I maybe twice a month for a few sale items like fish, fruit, and wine. Lately they have been offering a coupon where if you spend $25 you get $5 off. We go in with a calculator and get our $25.01 and off we go. We also have been known to shop at ALDI or Harding Friendly Market.

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
We actually have three full grocery stores in town - Meijer, Felpausch, Walmart Supercenter. Oh and also an Aldi's. Depending on what is on sale, we may get a few items from each place, but the main place we go to it Meijer's. It's clean and organized, and good prices.

When I first moved here in 2000 we also had a Farmer Jack and a Krogers. They are now gone.

Coragus

Cyburbian
Awesome that no one so far has voted for Wal-Mart.

I sometimes hit Kroger, and less often hit Meijer's, but mostly shop at VG's, which is the best of the three major grocery chains around me. I like their choice, their prices, and their service. I have a Kroger card, but that feels a little too "big brother" for me.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I probably do 95% of my shopping at Publix, but occasionally pick up a few things at Albertson's or the Target and Wal-Mart superstores.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I do most of the grocery shopping at a Jewel Neighborhood Market (a smaller format), because it is a block away from my apt.

We do go to the nearest Whole Foods when we need a good cut of cow or some quality bread.

My favorite small chain was the Busch's in Ann Arbor, MI. It was kinda half way between a Kroger and Whole Foods.

Last edited:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
michiganplanner said:
I actually remember when it was called Meijer: Thrifty Acres.
My family hails from Grand Rapids and I remember once running into Fred Meijers at one of his first 'thrifty acres' stores.

Hceux

Cyburbian
Last year, I was doing my grocery shopping at Food Basics, Loblaws, No Frills, and another chain whose name that I cannot remember - maybe some Canadian grocery shoppers would know the store I'm talking about; it's the Loeb stores that have been converted to a "Price Chopper" wannabe kind of stores.

Now that I've been relocated, I shop at SuperStore, No Frills, and sometimes Food Basics. For bakery goods, I like to go to the Open Window Bakery, which is a local chain of stores - I like their fabulous egg bread!!!

jmello

Cyburbian
Shaws Supermarket Morrissey Boulevard, Dorchester(every week): staples and general American food items (lunch meat, produce, frozen items, etc.)

Super 88 Asian Market South Bay Center, Dorchester (every other week): Asian food stuffs, fish and most meat (really cheap prices)

Trader Joes Memorial Drive, Cambridge (every month): hors d'oeuvres, cheese, frozen meats and fish, snacks

View attachment shopping.zip

Seabishop said:
I've heard a rumor that Trader Joe's is coming to town. I hope so because I find it very hard to find produce that doesn't look fit for the dumpster.

Sorry to disappoint, but produce is not one of Trader Joes' strong suits. The selection is scant and most of it is in bulk shrink-wrapped packages.

Last edited by a moderator:

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Publix and Sam's Club for groceries. Albertson's or Winn-Dixie for liquor.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
There's a plethora of grocery options available along Randall Rd. near me. They include:

Jewel-Osco (owned by Albertson's) - they always have what you need and have the best quality, but they are getting a little too pricey

Dominick's (owned by Safeway) - the most expensive of them all, the company is having problems staying alive

Cub Foods - excellent for canned goods/box goods and the like. Produce/Deli/Meat sucks.

Meijer - the Michigan-based mega-store; it has a lot of stuff, but it is similar to Cub Foods in the deli/produce area and doesn't always have everything you're looking for

Super Target - very limited selection, but very clean

Wal-Mart - they're supposed to convert it to a supercenter someday

Aldi - good for party runs and very cheap, but it's not a place to do your regular shopping

Woodman's Market - a Wisconsin-based grocer. great liquor selection, great food selection, cheap prices, but watch out on the expiration dates of some items. our current choice of shopping.

CostCo - never been there

Joseph's Marketplace - actually in Crystal Lake...but the best place to find your produce items; very popular and crowded in the summer

The local butcher - located in a neighborhood convenince plaza, he has awesome meats and a good selection of speicalty snack food items; a local favorite

The local bakery - great for cakes, desserts, and donuts!

Trader Joe's - opening in December!

We've been to all these places and almost all of them have been favorites, but recently we've been leaning towards the cheap places for bulk items (right now, it's Woodman's), and shopping around at the produce place, butcher, and bakery for more high quality items in those areas.

zman

Cyburbian
I will go to King Soopers (owned by Kroger) and Whole Foods. Sam's Club sometimes (we are waiting for a Costco, but none up here yet).

The others we have up here are Safeway (all suck, I do not know why) and Albertsons (which I think is losing lots of business in CO and moving out soon).

In the town I live (about 3-4 thousand folks) we are supposedly getting a small, locally owned store, which would be great! But we'll see...

DetroitPlanner

Cyburbian Emeritus
illinoisplanner said:
There's a plethora of grocery options available along Randall Rd. near me. They include:

Jewel-Osco (owned by Albertson's) - they always have what you need and have the best quality, but they are getting a little too pricey

Dominick's (owned by Safeway) - the most expensive of them all, the company is having problems staying alive

Cub Foods - excellent for canned goods/box goods and the like. Produce/Deli/Meat sucks.

Meijer - the Michigan-based mega-store; it has a lot of stuff, but it is similar to Cub Foods in the deli/produce area and doesn't always have everything you're looking for

Super Target - very limited selection, but very clean

Wal-Mart - they're supposed to convert it to a supercenter someday

Aldi - good for party runs and very cheap, but it's not a place to do your regular shopping

Woodman's Market - a Wisconsin-based grocer. great liquor selection, great food selection, cheap prices, but watch out on the expiration dates of some items. our current choice of shopping.

CostCo - never been there

Joseph's Marketplace - actually in Crystal Lake...but the best place to find your produce items; very popular and crowded in the summer

The local butcher - located in a neighborhood convenince plaza, he has awesome meats and a good selection of speicalty snack food items; a local favorite

The local bakery - great for cakes, desserts, and donuts!

Trader Joe's - opening in December!

We've been to all these places and almost all of them have been favorites, but recently we've been leaning towards the cheap places for bulk items (right now, it's Woodman's), and shopping around at the produce place, butcher, and bakery for more high quality items in those areas.
Say hi to my sis, she don't go to the KMart in Crystal Lake either.

chukky

Cyburbian
The ubiquitous Coles.

Or, The Gap Family Market.

Which is amazing. And not even much more $ then the Coles.

A goodly amount is local produce--well, there is no produce grown around here any more, but all the chutneys and relishs etc are either local or imported.

AND the worlds best yoghurt. Last Christmas got the invite up to my aunts for the holiday--Oh, and could you just bring some of that yoghurt with you?

Edit: AND you get free lettuce on saturdays.