• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

Where do you buy your groceries?

BKM

Cyburbian
I grow all of my own food and fibre in a rooftop organic farm located atop the row of townhouses I live in. We all cooperate in this project, which includes recycling gray water for irrigation and our own off-the-grid "fertilizer" system. Our clothing is homespun from the condo complex sheep, which graze in a nearby vacant lot.

TOP THAT!

Just kidding.

Almost 90%: Nugget Market-small regional semi-gourmet chain.

Whole Paycheck when visiting the Bay Area,

the nearby-within walking distance, almost-Albertsons' for quick and dirty shopping.

Am a member-"owner" of a coop so can buy things in Davis and Sacramento.

Never go to Safeway-expensive, sterile, too far away.

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
Rumpy needs to pull out that priest garb for this one...

Forgive me father for I have sinned...

My groceries tend to come from Walmart. :-c It's not that I want to shop there, because I don't. The fact is, the local grocery store near me has had some SERIOUS health issues and I am no longer comfortable going there. Walmart or HEB are my only two options in the nearby town next door and the Walmart is easier to drive to.

If it's any consolation, we consolidate our trips when we do go grocery shopping at Walmart with going to church and visiting Grandma at the retirement home.

I buy some groceries at Sam's as well.

If I could shop elsewhere, I would. Unfortunately, I don't have other options.

zman

Cyburbian
Suburb Repairman said:
Rumpy needs to pull out that priest garb for this one...

Forgive me father for I have sinned...

My groceries tend to come from Walmart. :-c It's not that I want to shop there, because I don't. The fact is, the local grocery store near me has had some SERIOUS health issues and I am no longer comfortable going there. Walmart or HEB are my only two options in the nearby town next door and the Walmart is easier to drive to.

If it's any consolation, we consolidate our trips when we do go grocery shopping at Walmart with going to church and visiting Grandma at the retirement home.

I buy some groceries at Sam's as well.

If I could shop elsewhere, I would. Unfortunately, I don't have other options.

Along similar lines....

If the Girlfriend shops, she'll go to Wal Mart. She doesn't have the same opinion of them that I do. :-@ But I am trying...
Of course she also gets the WalMart generic brand...:victory: so I am happy to do most of the shopping. I have a higher standard for my food.

Oh, and Twinsy (BurbMechanic), if there are health issues at your WalMart alternative then your sins are forgivin. Your penance is a case of Lone Star :b:. :-c

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
DetroitPlanner said:
Say hi to my sis, she don't go to the KMart in Crystal Lake either.

Hahaha...who would go to K-Mart anyway?? So, I imagine she chooses from these stores.

Additionally, there used to be a Piggly Wiggly on the east side of Algonquin, but it has since closed. A 2nd Jewel Osco is going across the street from the Pig.

LorenzoRoyal

Cyburbian
No Wal-Marts here. Strictly Albertsons or Vons. On occassion, when I get home to California, some home grown vegetables.

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
zmanPLAN said:
Oh, and Twinsy (BurbMechanic), if there are health issues at your WalMart alternative then your sins are forgivin. Your penance is a case of Lone Star :b:. :-c

Nooooooo!!!!! Please, not Texas Crap Beer!!!! :-c Wait, this is supposed to be punishment...:-$