• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Environment Where do you fit in?

How many of us can the earth handle?

• Plenty more, technology is our saviour!

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Some more.....maybe if we conserve our resources.

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Right about where we are now, 7 billion souls.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • We passed the ideal number back in.....?

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Why do you hate 'merica so much?

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The One

Cyburbian
We are approaching 7 BILLION people! Find out where you fit into that number with this handy site:

Here are my numbers, what are yours?

When The One was born, you were the:
3,725,133,543rd
person alive on Earth
77,878,242,752nd
person to have lived since history began

Oh and How many people do you think the earth can possibly hold? (basic food, water and just surviving?)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-15391515

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
When RJ was born, he was the:
2,847,778,567 person alive on Earth
76,324,696,580 person to have lived since history began

Vancity

Cyburbian
Born in the early 5 billions. Somewhere in the 80 billions for humanity.

otterpop

Cyburbian
When I was the 2,879,324,094th person living on Earth, and I was the 76,386,503,850th person to have lived on Earth.

Brocktoon

Cyburbian
We have plenty of room...not for everyone to live like a Westerner and eat meat for every meal but plenty of room for billions to live in terrible poverty surviving off less than a dollar a day.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
When you were born, you were the:4,749,347,497th person alive on Earth
79,511,989,222nd person to have lived since history began

I was under 5 and 80 billion. Boom!

I look forward to telling my kids that... when I was born there were less than 5 billion people on earth...

Personally, I think that our population problem deals more with efficiency of space than actual lack of resources. We do need to invest in more renewable energy sources, which will only get more efficient and pervasive over time, to allow energy production for the long term, but food and water will be around for a long time. More people means more opportunity for the one person who figures out the worlds problems to be born.

I like the idea of knowing that everyday a kid that might cure cancer is born. Or the one that stabilizes nuclear fusion. Or that creates a weight loss pill that allows me to not exercise, eat what I want, and not gain a pound! (Okay fine maybe not the last one....)

HomerJ

Cyburbian
5,074,603,297th
person alive on Earth

80,019,334,720th

Cool site...

our population problem deals more with efficiency of space than actual lack of resources. We do need to invest in more renewable energy sources, which will only get more efficient and pervasive over time, to allow energy production for the long term, but food and water will be around for a long time.
I generally agree, at least in the sense that I am more concerned about the gap between rich and poor than the availability of resources. When you think about how many people can be sustained by the amount of resources the wealthiest population spends, I think there is plenty available for more people in the world. The issue is being fair and efficient with those resources.

Certainly doesn't hurt for people to actively reduce their consumption, most don't have much of a choice. One good thing to take away from the U.S.'s economic situation is the realization that we can do a lot more with less.

DVD

Cyburbian
When you were born, you were the:3,958,865,971st person alive on Earth
78,256,025,550th person to have lived since history began

I think the right technology will get us off our coal dependance and into something more sustainable, but it will be a hard battle to get there. At the same time I would vote for why do you hate 'Merica so much since we all know this climate change and limited resources thing is just a hoax from the left wing Obama loving liberal nazi communists, or at least that's what the radio told me this morning.

Vancity

Cyburbian
I think the right technology will get us off our coal dependance and into something more sustainable, but it will be a hard battle to get there. At the same time I would vote for why do you hate 'Merica so much since we all know this climate change and limited resources thing is just a hoax from the left wing Obama loving liberal nazi communists, or at least that's what the radio told me this morning.
Even if it were a hoax, its good practice not to abuse the planet anyway.

I definitely think a lot of the problem lies in the structure of the world's economy.

Rygor

Cyburbian
When you were born, you were the:
4,237,759,511th
person alive on Earth
78,702,560,829th

I personally think we passed the ideal number long ago. To me, ideal would be about half a billion people. Enough for civilzations to exist but no so much as to despoil most of the environment and put pressure on limited land, water, and earth resources.

rcgplanner

Cyburbian
4,765,878,993rd
person alive on Earth
79,537,469,422nd

While I think technology has helped Spaceship Earth accept more passengers, eventually we are going to have to think smarter about how we grow. There is a whole crop of countries (China, India, Brazil, etc.) that have seen how the U.S. have lived for the last 50 years and crave the same opportunity to live like Americans. If the entire world lived like the US we would need a lot more resources than we have now. Now this is a simplified idea because some resources can be replenished, you can always raise more animals up to a certain point. But it is a sobering thought. I am not of the idea that we should cull the earth's population, but I think we would better off as a planet if there was 3 or 4 billion, instead of 7 billion. http://persquaremile.com/2012/08/08/if-the-worlds-population-lived-like/

The real question is how do we as a planet prepare for another 1 to 3 billion people in the next 40 years? This is a topic that doesn't get much discussion as we all have our own countries problems to deal with. For nearly all people, they couldn't care less what the population growth is in the city or state over, let alone another country.

Otis

Cyburbian
Otis was the
2,551,879,689th person alive on earth
75,728,512,616th person to have lived since history began

I think the world was better off three or four billion people ago. Technology will not be our savior. Malthus will solve the problem, though. It will be painful for a while.

Vancity

Cyburbian
Otis was the
2,551,879,689th person alive on earth
75,728,512,616th person to have lived since history began

I think the world was better off three or four billion people ago. Technology will not be our savior. Malthus will solve the problem, though. It will be painful for a while.
At what point do you believe that will begin Otis?

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member

4,555,385,909th person alive on Earth

79,206,923,762nd person to have lived since history began

I believe some areas of the world will suffer Malthusian corrections, but it will not be universal or affect 1st world countries in a significant way unless they choose to involve themselves. In the first world, any issue with resource scarcity will be resolved through conservation, technological advancement and/or changes in cultural values (eg. modifications to the "American Dream")

3rd world & even some 2nd world countries are more susceptible. There you will see violence between nations over scarcity of resources.

Of the advanced countries, I worry most about India and China.

Top Bottom