• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Where does a crematory belong?

Vlaude

Cyburbian
I've been looking into the placement of a crematory. I've come to the conclusion that the best solution would be a special use, permitted in a commercial and light industrial zoning? Anyone have any input on good, bad, and the ugly? And where is this type of use allowed in the city you live/work in? Any help is very much appreciated...

THANKS!

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I'm not familiar with the "externalities" of the use. Are there any...ummmm... emmissions?

Glomer

Aren't the emissions taken away???

Would it depend on how large the city is.....in other words how much service are we going to be talking about? What exactly do they do? How much smoke?? What does a crematory look like?

donk

Cyburbian
The North American Industrial Classification System (NAICS) codes Crematoria as 8122. This class of business is grouped with other commercial and light industrial businesses and occupations.

http://www.statcan.ca/english/Subjects/Standard/81.htm

8122 Funeral Services
This industry group comprises establishments primarily engaged in preparing the dead for burial or interment, conducting funerals, operating sites or structures reserved for the interment of human or animal remains, and cremating the dead. Examples of establishments in this industry group are funeral homes, cemeteries and crematoria.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
81221 Funeral Homes
This industry comprises establishments primarily engaged in preparing the dead for burial or interment and conducting funerals.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
812210 Funeral Homes
See industry description for 81221, above.

81222 Cemeteries and Crematoria
This industry comprises establishments primarily engaged in operating sites or structures reserved for the interment of human or animal remains, and cremating the dead.

Cemetery Mausoleum
Crematoria Memorial gardens (burial place)
Pet cemetaries

812220 Cemeteries and Crematoria
See industry description for 81222, above.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I would think that a place where they essentially burn bodies would be more of a special use in a heavy industrial district, not a light industrial/commercial district. It is definitly not something you would want near shopping. Our code doesn't address these types of uses. However, the code does prohibit "incerneration" uses, which this may fall under.

Hopefully some other people will have more experience with this type of business.

Another place you don't to put a crematorium is in Georgia...

www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2002/02/19/crematory.htm

Vlaude

Cyburbian
Minimal if done correctly... or so the EPA says...

Table 1 - Crematory Stack Test Results*

Particulate (gr/DSCF @ 7% O2) 0.026
Carbon Monoxide (ppm @ 7% O2) 18.9
Nitrogen Oxides (ppm) 30.1
Volatile Organic Compounds (ppm) 0.5
Hydrochloric Acid (lbs/hr) 0.0235

All in the safe levels... Again I stress by the EPA. I'm not an expert... These levels are for a crematory, not for medical waste, which can include metals, etc. The HCL comes from the containers the bodies are burned in...

Well hope that helps, its my understanding that people live by them and don't know, its not like there is thick black smoke billowing out of the stacks.... I think its just a touchy issue, due to the nature of most people... I just need to know where they are typically placed, I tend to think special use permit Commercial or Light Industrial type zoning...

Glomer

Did you see the celestial journey to space in the last website????

People will do the weirdest things to make a buck.

I would like to be cremated, put in a brick....and used to revitalize our post office downtown so I can watch everyones coming and goings.

Vlaude

Cyburbian
Yeah thanks...

Actually, I did check that site out along with a few others... I am really interested in zoning placement. WHERE DO THEY BELONG??? LOL, I mean should they be a permitted use by Micky Deez, so you can see Joe Blow go up as you top off your Hi C orange drink... Or should they be a special use permit in a light industrial type area... I lean towards the later of the two... Just curious what other cities do...

Thanks for the info and any additional info would be GREAT!!!

nerudite

Cyburbian
Many municipal codes allow them only as accessory uses to a cemetery, animal clinic, or other pertinent use in zones that the primary uses are allowed.

Those that are "stand alone" crematories are often permitted or conditional uses in Industrial Zones and some commercial zones. Also, I have seen them in special Institutional zones (like Bellevue, WA). Often special conditions may apply, such as:

Excerpt from Clackamas County (OR) Code:
808 CEMETERIES, CREMATORIES
808.01 CONDITIONAL STANDARDS
Crematories shall be located a minimum of five hundred (500) feet from any existing dwelling other than a dwelling on the site.
Minimum Lot Area for Cemetery: Fifty (50) acres
Minimum Lot Area for Crematory: Five (5) acres
Graves shall be located a minimum of thirty (30) feet from any public right of way.
Points of access must be approved in writing by the County Engineer and, if on a state highway, by the District State Highway Engineer.
A plat of the cemetery must be filed in the official county records.
No cemetery lots shall be offered for sale until an adequate water supply for irrigation has been developed and approved by the County and the appropriate water district.
Notwithstanding the above regulations, all cemeteries and related uses must comply with all State regulations pertaining to these uses.

Or Davis, CA Zoning Ordinance:
Chapter 40 ZONING*
40.26.060 Cemeteries, crematories, etc.
Cemeteries, crematories, mausoleums and columbariums shall provide entrances on a major or secondary thoroughfare with ingress and egress so designed as to minimize traffic congestion, and shall provide off-street parking spaces, and shall provide a minimum six foot high wall or minimum three foot thick and six foot high evergreen hedge or provide a minimum of twenty feet of permanently maintained landscaped strip on all property lines abutting any R district or street in an R district. (Ord. No. 296, § 24.6.)

lowlyplanner

Cyburbian
I'm not sure how relevant this is, but...

I lived down the street from a funeral home that had a crematory attached for two years. This was in downtown Gainesville, FL.

It may have been a non-conforming use, as the funeral home had been there forever. You may want to inquire as to how much use it'll get - this one would only smoke occasionally. Aside from the fact that it was kind of depressing to walk by, I never noticed any ill effects.

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
We just went through this a year ago. Someone actually wanted to put one in and our ordinance didn't address it at all. After much research, we decided to allow it in our light and heavy industrial districts as a special use.

BTW, the guy decided not to go ahead with the project. Interesting tidbit....his last name was Burns. You don't want to know how many jokes were going on about that :)

el Guapo

Capitalist
Right here - Right now.

Yikes!

My current office is located in the old funeral home/creamatory. Really!

Spooky!