• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

WHERE does this plan belong??

ursus

Cyburbian, raised by Cyburbians
Small Area Plans, Station Area Plans, Neighborhood Revitalization Plans.....

Our city recently completed a Small Area Plan for a transit station. We did not view it as an amendment to the General (Comprehensive) Plan. It's up for adoption by the City Council soon (tomorrow night) and the City Attorney is now freaking out because he is not sure "where it fits". We've said simply that it seems normal for cities to have long-range planning documents to inform decision making that may not be part of the General Plan. In fact, we hope to have more. I'm seeing both patterns in looking at cities. What does your town do, and are there drawbacks I'm missing in not including a plan like this as an amendment to the General Plan?

usus out.

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
In my experience, the METHOD of adoption is more important than where it actually resides. I would suggest adopting it consistent with the method for your General Plan (adopted by ordinance, hearings, etc.) regardless of whether it is an amendment or stand-alone.

What can help is to include language in the General Plan that specifically states that the City may adopt separate plans, and that such plans carry the weight and value equivalent to the General Plan.

Like you, I've seen cities do it both ways. It is important to note the consistency of those plans with the General Plan when possible. For example, the idea behind transit stations/multimodalism is probably found in your General Plan. You should reference it in the adoption of the Transit Center Small Area Plan.

ursus

Cyburbian, raised by Cyburbians
That's actually very helpful. Thank you. The method of adoption is actually off (Council is scheduled to adopt by resolution, not by ordinance as they did with the General Plan) and it looks like we will remedy that by re-noticing and moving it back.