• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

Working ✍️ Where else can a Planning degree take me?

flaaenja

Background: I have bachelors degrees in geography and history. I have a master's in City and Regional Planning and AICP certification. I have been a current planner for almost 12 years, including 9 at a senior level with cities around 80,000 people.

I need some help/advice. I work in a planning office doing mainly current planning and historic preservation. I've grown increasingly frustrated, disinterested and indifferent with my current position. I used to think that I couldn't keep working where I'm working because of politics, same people/problems/issues and continued repetition of the mundane. Now I am beginning to think that I don't know if I can continue doing what I'm doing at all because the same issues will likely be there if/when I begin work in another community. I'll still be doing the same monotony, just having to learn a new ordinance to implement. My drive used to be to be a director, but I don't know if even that will solve my lack of enthusiasm for the profession.

But I still love the development process and have tried to look for work for private companies and developers. Not planning consultants, but actual companies seeking in-house experts to assist in their growth efforts. These companies have turned me down because of lack of experience/education with architecture, civil engineering, construction, building codes, etc. I don't know if I have the will (much less the $$) to go back to school to complete a new degree. And relocation is not an option.

So my question is, what are other people doing with a planning degree outside of the traditional roles? What are some ideas I can consider as I scroll through the job boards? TIA.

macagg

This will be only me second post here ever because I feel inspired. I have a similar background to you: History BA and a MCRP. I practiced for three years before being laid off in 2010. That was a blessing because even that short time I felt that it planning wasn't for me and I developed issues with the profession in general and from the APA.

Long story short, I have worked in right of way and site acquisition for over ten years now. I have worked for oil and gas companies and have down work for the State DOT. Do I use my planning degree? It is a tossup. In my O&G work, I tend to get assigned to any stakeholders that are governmental when it comes to acquisitions or non-environmental permits. At the very least I know how to talk the people at the front desk or the local politicians who need to feel respected.