• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Where is our Chilean Ambassador?

JNL

Cyburbian
SkeLeton's last post was Jan 17 and I haven't seen him here since then which is VERY unusual for our Chilean friend.

Any ideas on what is keeping him away?

Rem

Cyburbian
Didn't he tell us he was trying to get into University and would be travelling up to look at courses and accommodation? Maybe he has started that already?

JNL

Cyburbian
Ah yes I have a vague recollection of him telling us that.

SkeL I look forward to hearing where and what you will be studying.

The Irish One

Actually Skeleton renounced his Chilean citizenship to join the Boliviano National Unity Party of Che Guevara. He plans on a reconquista of the Pacific coast from Chilean war pig imperialist, Go Skeleton!!!!

Hey, I don't know about South America, but don't folks in the land of Oz have summer vacation while we are doing "christmas break"? I think an Aussie friend of mine told me they take off 6 weeks or something for parts of December and January, because it is summer Down Under at this time of year. Couldn't he just be off Partying Hardy like a Proper Teenager should during summer vacation? "Checking out colleges" -- that's like a "cover story" for the parents, right?;)

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Geee, thanks for worrying! :)
Yes, I was the whole week away in the gigantic blob called Santiago... Just got back today in the early morning!
Sadly no pics to show.. (dummy forgot the camera!)
Good thing is that now that I'll be living in Santiago... donuts are closer 8-! and Starbucks is closer too (Now they've opened like 3 other stores more in the high class malls)
So I got into the best university here that has a Geography course, and I got a nice place to stay (though like half an hour away from the campus by subway), so that's what took me a week... :p
Well, I'll probably be frequent again until the end of February ('cause classes start in early march)

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Way to go, SkeL! Hope you enjoy this new phase of your life. How far away from home will you be? Are any of your friends also heading to Santiago to university? Best of luck from another geographer!

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Congrats on your acceptance and finding a place to live.
I think there are plenty of geographers here, including myself, that would offer advice on classes.

H

Cyburbian
SkeLeton said:
I got into the best university here that has a Geography course
Which one? I have a friend at the University of Santiago (but studying art, not geo).

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
H, it's the Catholic Univeristy... the best of the 4 (yes, that's right 4 universities have a geography course!) in Chile.
Zoning Goddess, I'll be about 500 miles north from home... :-\
PBD, no roommate... just some old lady and a maid (that I hope will cook good enough for me to eat well ;))

donk

Cyburbian
SkeLeton said:
H, PBD, no roommate... just some old lady and a maid (that I hope will cook good enough for me to eat well ;))
What no frat for SkeLeton? Sounds like you are roughing it.

My maid in first year was the the dorm janitor that our floor bought him 60 of vodka once a semester. He'd sweep and wash the "lovely" tile flooring in everyones room.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Our maid was a 300 pound hairy "tator". Nothing got cleaned and all of our food disapeared. At least the coachroaches saw my other roomate and myself's plight, and left us alone. Seemed like everybody else in the building had them except us.