• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

Where would you live?

Runner

Cyburbian
OK, you just won the lottery and now money, and so of course a job, are no longer an issue. Where will you choose to live in the US and also what would be your non-US choice?

We did a similar drill like this before under Dan's thread (Top ten places) but this time you have to pick one place in the US and one outside of the US.

My choices:
US = Portland, OR
Non-US = Vancouver, Canada

Incidentally, my international choice has become far less exotic since 9-11...

Ok - taking family out of the equation:

Domestic: Somewhere in the Southern Blue Ridge Mountains - beautiful, great weather, I'd buy a whole mountain with a lake.

Abroad: Costa Rica - tons of kayaking, canoeing and hiking and dirt cheap, plus, in San Jose, it's pretty much 70 degrees all year round. sigh.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
US - San Francisco Bay area.
Non-US - Mosman, New South Wales, Australia.

adaptor

In the US: Asheville, NC -- mild winters, mountain scenery and a cosmopolitan atmosphere in a pocket sized town. (I would have considered Prescott, AZ for similar reasons before the recent wildfires emphasized the water problems in the west.)

Overseas: Sienna, Italy or the Tuscan countryside. Similar reasons to the above choice plus the easy going Italian attitude.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Hate to burst your bubble but Ashville is having water problems as well. All of NC is in serious water shortage.

Notes this becouse she did water and sewer planning in NC

Me
US-Dupont Circle DC
Overseas-San Carlos Panama'

Cardinal

Cyburbian
The US choice is a simple one - a farm somewhere near Cross Plains just west of Madison, Wisconsin. As for abroad, well, that's tough.... Maybe southern France, or closer to home, Vancouver, BC.

Habanero

Cyburbian
Tough choice

I'd have to say Scottdale for US and then perhaps the lake country in Northern Italy for non-US.

el Guapo

Capitalist
USA - A heavily wooded compound in Northern Idaho.

Foreign - Stockholm, near the waterfront. There they have Volvo parts cheap!

Mastiff

Gunfighter
El Guapo wrote:
USA - A heavily wooded compound in Northern Idaho.
---------------------^^^^^^^^-----------------------------------------

I think you misspelt "armed".

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I would live in New York and have vacation homes in Florida and Northern Wisconsin