• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Where's the "God forsaken zone" in your state or province?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Is it my imagination, or does every state have a "God forsaken" zone, an area that is ... well, a dominant collective belief is "it's as if we don't exist." Not necessarily poor, or redneck, or rural ... just like a region doesn't feel "included" as part of the jurisdiction where it's located. A few examples, based on personal experience and conversations with others.

• Parts of New Mexico south of metro Albuquerque.
  • Parts of Colorado outside the Front Range metros and the mountains.
  • West Texas.
  • Parts of Illinois outside of Chicagoland.
  • Northwestern Indiana - Lake and Porter Counties, "Da' Region."
  • Northern Louisiana.
  • Parts of New York State more than 100 km from centerline of the Hudson River. "Our taxes are so high, because we're paying for New York City's subway/roads/bridges/city college/downtown rebuilding/welfare mothers. Why are all the prisons Upstate, when the prisoners come from NYC?"
  • Northern Michigan and the Upper Peninsula
  • Ontario outside of the Golden Horseshoe region.

Any more? Are complaints about "forgotten regions" reality?

BKM

Cyburbian
Far Northern California (The State of "Lincoln"), Solano County (from the Bay Area perspective :)) The Inland Empire (Riverside and San Bernardino Counties), the entire State of Nevada

Cardinal

Cyburbian
At a smaller scale, my city does not feel a part of the county we are mostly located within. Psychologically as well as economically, we are oriented more to the west, to Madison and Janesville, while the rest of the county is oriented to the east. We are the largest city in the county (13,500 vs. a county population of 80,000) but we are in the northwest corner, and the Kettle Moraine (i.e., midwestern mountain range) divides us from the rest of the county.

nerudite

Cyburbian
I think most of Canada feels lost and swept under the rug compared to the rest of Toronto. As an American, and huge Leafs fan, I was *very* suprised to hear all of the anti-Ontario, but more specifically anti-Toronto, sentiments since I've been here in Alberta. Since the legislature is in Ottawa, I think that there's a general feeling of being forgotten once you leave the Ontario border.

As a former Californian, I would have to say the most "forgotten" counties are in the northeast corner (Modoc especially)... but then their claim to fa... well not fame I guess... is a bunch of lava tubes. For the rest of the Pac NW, anything to the east of the Cascades is pretty much forgotten... which is a shame, because that's about 2/3 of the land area of Oregon and Washington.

pete-rock

Cyburbian
Dan said:

[*] Northwestern Indiana - Lake and Porter Counties, "Da' Region."
[*] Northern Michigan and the Upper Peninsula
Dan, you hit the nail on the head with these two.

Northwest Indiana is the poor stepchild of Chicagoland. If there were no state boundary, Northwest Indiana would be considered part of the Greater South Side of Chicago -- it has a similar industrial base, similar development patterns, similar demographics. But the state line is truly a consciousness barrier to Illinoisans, who consider Northwest Indiana a separate animal.

In Indiana, few places are physically as far from the state capital (Indianapolis) as Northwest Indiana. Hoosiers (I spent seven years in Muncie, IN) look at Gary, Hammond and East Chicago as extensions of the "big bad city," Chicago.

Northern Michigan and the U.P. are slightly different. To Michiganians, the northern Lower Peninsula is "Up North," the summer playland with cottages, lakes, good fishing and good times. The U.P. would really classify as "god-forsaken" because it's so completely undeveloped. The U.P. has less than 300,000 people in an area that's a little bigger than New Jersey.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Yeah, the rest of Canada pretty much hates us here in Toronto. When I moved to Sudbury a few years back, I felt like I had dropped off the face of the planet.

But now, I'm back in the centre of the universe, where I belong :)

I'm pretty sure that there are those in north Louisiana that feel that southeast LA, namely New Orleans, is god-forsaken. LOL

pete-rock

Cyburbian
Does anyone out there know about eastern Washington state and eastern Oregon? My gut feeling is that those regions might wear the "God-forsaken" tag. They're dry (almost desert) compared to their far-wetter brethren in Seattle and Portland. Mountains physically separate them from the coast. And they're sparsely populated.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Not far from the truth...

pete-rock said:
Does anyone out there know about eastern Washington state and eastern Oregon? My gut feeling is that those regions might wear the "God-forsaken" tag. They're dry (almost desert) compared to their far-wetter brethren in Seattle and Portland. Mountains physically separate them from the coast. And they're sparsely populated.
I've been through both, and water is a problem. However, the lanscape to me is very pretty, and looks more like the mountain ranges around Reno-Tahoe than desert lands.

Of course, a small community out there voted 3:1 in favor of a) not allowing the U.N. into the town, and b) to cut trees on National Forest no matter how the NFS feels about it...

Washington is a bit more bland than Oregon on the eastern sides, too. Washington State U. is kind of smack in the middle of it.

Lenze

In Alberta, it's anywhere outside the dumb-bell or dog-bone (Calgary - Red Deer - Edmonton corridor)

Jeff

Cyburbian
In PA it's Potter County....out in the Allegheny National Forest. The welcome sign along the road actually says "God's Country."

Cardinal

Cyburbian
To Michiganians, the northern Lower Penninsula is "Up North"
I was just up there and heard a couple refer to Traverse City (3/4 up the west coast of the lower penninsula) as "upper penninsula." What does that make the real Upper Penninsula, North Wisconsin?

Kwame K

It may be "Godforsaken", but I love Michigan's UP. Crossing the bridge is like stepping into another world. People have different accents (they sound like stereotypical Canadians), they have chain stores and restaurants found nowhere else (lunch at the Beef-a-roo, anybody?), and people outside of the cities walk around with rifles scouting for deer, whether it's hunting season or not. Most refreshing is that the natives, although they experience incredible snowfalls each winter, see no need to drive SUVs.

The UP is great.

TGlass

The UP is great. It's a slice of Alaska or Washington state close to home. And anything north of Flint is "up north" as far as Detroiters are concerned.

Door County is actually a really popular vacation area. I've never heard of it being God-Forsaken. And Green Bay is right up there as well. That's the state's third-largest city. The God-Forsaken area in Wisconsin is the northern area. While also a popular vacation spot, they're often complaining that all their taxes go to Madison and Milwaukee in the southern half of the state. Once, Northern Wisconsin and the UP were considering ceceeding (sp?) from WI and MI and forming the 51st state.

Lee Nellis

Cyburbian
Having lived in Spokane for a while, I can assure you that there is no doubt that people in eastern Washington and Oregon feel politically isolated and underprivileged relative to the folks who live on the wet side of the Cascades.

Don't forgetArizona outside Maricopa County on this list. Or Nebraska outside Omaha and Lincoln and their 'burbs.