• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

While We're on the Subject

jazzmstr

Does anyone know of any good sources regarding the history of the "sustainable development" movement. A lot of people believe the modern movement originated from the Mono Lake case. Any ideas?

Jazzmstr

jazzmstr

Sorry Planasaurus

I apologize for the late response to your question about Mono Lake. In a nutshell, in response to pumping ground water which feeds Mono Lake in the Sierras (California) and diverting it to fill swimming pools in LA (that's New England sarcasm speaking) a group of environmentalists staged the biggest and eventually most successful environmental campaign at the time to quash most of the operation. THey were able to get LA to cut back substantially on the amount of water diverted and restored a lot of the damaged ecology. In many ways, the Friends of Mono Lake ( I think that's the name of the group) was the grandaddy of the modern environmental movement. They started in the mid 70's. THere are scores of websites related to Mono Lake. Sorry about this rushed explanation----but I'm sooooo busy.

TED

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
The City in History, by Lewis Mumford. Read the last three chapters. He used the word sprawl in 1961, and perhaps earlier.