• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Who has Good Friday off ?

JNL

Cyburbian
Doesn't everyone? 8-! Friday and Monday are public holidays here so lots of people are going away. I'm just going to stay home and catch up on sleeping, reading, and other stuff. And the obligatory visit to my family (an hour away) to exchange Easter eggs.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
I wish we did. It is really strange, we have to work that day but when I tried scheduling a meeting on a religous holiday later in the year, which I did not realize, I was told that no one would come since it was a holdiay.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
JNL said:
Doesn't everyone? 8-!
Good Friday isn't a public holiday in the US. However, not much work gets done. Often, though, local and state government offices will let most employees go home on on Friday afternoon. A secretary or receptionist may stay behind; they'll get four hours of comp time to use later on.

Traffic on the Cyburbia Forums usually slows down quite a bit on Good Friday afternoon.

Monday a public holiday in NZ? [cheektowaga]Youse guys der get dat der Dyngus Day der off der? I tinnk I move to dat der Newzealant place der. Youse guys have dat der good fish fry der and volunteer fire department der?[/cheektowaga]

el Guapo

Capitalist
I got it off. Plus half a day on Earth Day! Woo hoo - Thanks Pope Greggory and all the Tree Huggers!

Rem

Cyburbian
Friday is a Public Holiday in Australia and so is Monday. Good Friday is one of the two most serious PH's in Australia, with Xmas Day. Until recently newspapers weren't published and absolutely everything was closed. These days things are loosening up.

sisterceleste

Cyburbian
I'm going to take the day off cause my husband and daughter both have the day off and I want to sleep late if everyone else in the household is!!!!!!!!

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
After today, I'm off the rest of the week using up comp time. Friday I'll be in Florida golfing.

tsc

Cyburbian
I have off... but not because a holiday but it is my flex day....love every other Friday off!! :-D

Budgie

Cyburbian
Not me .... The period between MLK and Memorial Day is excruciatingly long and with the recent job change, I have no vacation time.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
We have the day off. You dont Trail Nazi? Wow!

I think last year we got half a day but there was like 6 people in the building and traffic was a nightmare getting home (yes I was one of the 6)

This year I am going with a friend for more tests before his first round of chemo next week. His gf needs a day off of going to the hospital to study for exams.

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
I'll be working on Good Friday.

I work for a private firm so we only get a few days off. Let's see I think I get 6-7 paid holidays off a year. It kinda sucks.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
We're closed on Good Friday. But Catholic School is open until 1:00, then Mass at 2:00.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
All three places I've worked in the public sector have Good Friday off. I do know of other local governments that took away Good Friday as a holiday but gave the employees an additional personal day.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Like Australia, Good Friday is one of the major public hols up here (though its significance is declining). Easter Monday is a holiday just for government stiffs like me - I think even the banks are open now whereas they used to close too.

I'm taking a few days off after Easter Monday to do some more renovations...

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
We're open friday, but I'm not here because I took the day off.

We are going to Michigan to be with family for the holiday, but on Friday we will probably go hangout in Ann Arbor for a little on our way to the 'rents.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Half day here, although I'll probally go to school to work on the project. I'm starting to have some really wacky dreams now. 20 days left till detenation.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Not here. Working both Friday and Monday.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Yep, The city is shut down here on Good Friday. I'm also taking Monday off so the fiancee and I can head down to South Carolina to see the 'rents, eat some of that good down home cooking and hunt Easter eggs with the extended family... you're never too old to hunt Easter eggs, especially those plastic ones with the money inside. :-D

My sister is also having us a wedding shower on Saturday, so I'm trying my best to get the future Mrs. to pack lightly (no small task there) so we'll have space in the car for all the booty. I tell you what, this getting presents stuff is pretty fun... I should get engaged more often. ;-)

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
We get a half day time off for good Friday, but this Holiday falls under what our human resources policy classifies as an 'elective' holiday - meaning that you can take the 4 hours holiday time any day of the year; if you want to take it on Good Friday that's your business.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Yup, we're off here, too. :-D Probably going to work on the house, maybe take the dogs to the park, general errands and chores that I never have time for in a normal week.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
I am working. I am leaving a couple of hours early to run the kid to the ex's. Then we have tickets to Howie Mandell Friday night.

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
My office is closed this Friday. I will spend the day sleeping later in the morning, going to mass at noon with Planderella to see the kids perform the Stations of the Cross and then enjoying the rest of the day and evening with her. :-D

boiker

Cyburbian
I have good friday off. Truely, it will be a "good" friday. The only way to make it gooder is to have a paycheck on that friday as well.

I'm going to my apartment that day and packing, hopefully, everything else that needs to be packed.

On April 15, I get my new house!

Dragon

Cyburbian
I don't have Friday off, but wish that I did because I have things I would perfer to be doing.

Floridays

Cyburbian
When I worked in the private sector, it was a holiday. But not with our local government! :(

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
Gedunker said:
We're closed on Good Friday. But Catholic School is open until 1:00, then Mass at 2:00.
Wow, your kids are still in school on Good Friday morning? Our parish school lets out tomorrow and the kids also have the entire week off following Easter for Spring Break.

We're closed on Friday; this is the only place that I have worked for (all in the public sector) that has listed Good Friday as an official holiday. All the others allowed employees to use a "floating" holiday.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Maister said:
We get a half day time off for good Friday, but this Holiday falls under what our human resources policy classifies as an 'elective' holiday - meaning that you can take the 4 hours holiday time any day of the year; if you want to take it on Good Friday that's your business.

What he said

Repo Man

Cyburbian
We have off!! I am thinking of going to the Brewers home opener. That would guarantee a "Good Friday" for me!! A victory over the Astros would make it a Great Friday!

sisterceleste

Cyburbian
Repo Man said:
We have off!! I am thinking of going to the Brewers home opener. That would guarantee a "Good Friday" for me!! A victory over the Astros would make it a Great Friday!
I want to go too...I hate the Astros... being a big Dodger fan.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
We are open for normal business all day, but I am only working a half day so I can attend the Milwaukee Brewers home opener and enjoy a tailgate party.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Bumpy

I have next Friday off. Three-day weekend, baby!!! Not bad for a heathen.

(When I originally responded to this thread, I was traveling here for an interview. :D )

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
We have it off, but it's pretty common around here. Spring break for the K-12 schools "floats" and generally corresponds with Holy Week. On the Left Coast, spring break was always the 3rd week in March and it did not matter when Easter fell.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
I work in the private sector. So no Good Friday holiday for me. However, in addition to the designated holidays (New Years, Memorial, Independence, Labor, Thanksgiving, Black Friday, Christmas Eve, and Christmas), we are given a "floating holiday", which I typically use sometime in the spring.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
No Good Friday off for us here with my employer. It has never bothered me though as I am not the religious type. We also don't get Monday as an Easter holiday like some of the local offices do. That one doesn't bother me either. I like coming to work on that Monday because I know my phone will almost never ring because those that normally call me are off of work.

btrage

Cyburbian
I have it off, which I think is more of a reflection of the union presence.

At my previous employer, a conservative West Michigan community with no unions, we only got a 1/2 day on Good Friday.

Planit

Cyburbian
We're off here and I hope to be on the golf course (should the weather cooperate).

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
At my previous employer, a conservative West Michigan community with no unions, we only got a 1/2 day on Good Friday.
(razz'n frazz'n) At my current employer......

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Not a formal holiday for me, but took it off for the Holiday.

kms

Cyburbian
I usually take Good Friday off, but I'm working this year. I'll be out of the office a lot in the next couple of weeks.

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
Not only do I have Good Friday off as previously noted but I also took today off so I'm looking forward to a tough 3 day week.