• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Who here has a vegetable garden? Hydroponics don't count!

The Irish One

I'm a grower myself. I have a couple of lettuce's growing and kick ass basil plants, squash is coming along. I've recently been figuring out this stuff and find it really useful in the way I eat and it's really cool to see your food growing and waiting to eat it!

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Up until the big D-vorce I always had one. Tomatos and cumumbers, thai hot peppers, onions, radishes, chives, rhubarb, a kick-A white grape vinery for wisconsin standards, green peppers, red peppers, jalepenos, and a few other herbs. Basically heart burn on a stem is what I grew.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
I used to have a vegetable garden, but the earwigs in the lettuce really got to me. Now I grow basil (at least until the frost kills it). I've already got 5 batches of homemade pesto in the freezer to last the winter. I do miss having homegrown tomatoes. Maybe next year.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Was growing some tomaters and peppers this summer, although I think I planted my seed to late this year(insert joke here). Love growing though, beans and cucumbers are my best bet.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Rumpy Tuna said:
Love grwoing though beans and cucumbers are my best bet.
insert second joke here.

You are slipping, my friend.... ;)

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Only about forty different kinds of fruits and vegetables, if that counts as gardening....

Cardinal said:
Only about forty different kinds of fruits and vegetables, if that counts as gardening....
I don't know. I think we need a Poll: Is that "gardening"? Or has that crossed the line to small scale "farming"?

Rem

Cyburbian
I pulled out the last of the chillis last weekend - will replant in a couple of weeks. Otherwise we have basil (Cyburbia favourite), lemon basil, thai basil, chives, parsley, lemon grass, coriander, thyme, rosemary, rocket, tomatoes (seeds only at the moment). We have fruit trees (not as many as Cardinal) - a lemon, two tahitian limes (killer margaritas), a kafir lime, mandarin. A macadamia tree (very productive) and an almond tree (immature but got about a dozen nuts last year). Its Spring here now so I will be doing some planting soon - I have a spot prepared for two avocado trees and maybe we'll put in a pecan.

I think it's great having these things - it amplifies a sense of the seasons and weather.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
We pulled up the last of our veggie garden last weekend. It was out at my parent's house as up until a month ago we were condo-dwellers. We had beans, peas, carrots, onions, garlic (didn't grow), eggplant (didn't grow), cauliflower (stunted), peppers, tomatoes, and rhubarb.

My parents also have an apple tree and a pear tree. The pears were good, the apple tree needs some work to get it back into proper production.

Can't wait 'till next year when the garden will be at our place. In fact, i think we'll be digging up the back lawn this weekend in order to prepare for next year...

Tom R

Cyburbian
vegies

It was a lousy summer for gardens here. Too cool and wet. Here's what I tried to grow this year.

Tomatoes: Better Boy & Yellow
Jalapenos
Super cayannes
Little Thai firecrackers
Big red mild to hot peppers
Red onions
Scallions
Radishes
Cucumbers: two kinds, bush & vine
Broccoli - The only thing that did well. Loves the cool weather.

My neighbor borrowed his brother's 12 gallon crock. So with it and my 5 gal. we put up 95 pounds of sauerkraut. Bought the cabbage at a local farm. I spiked mine with the super cayannes and Thai firecrackers mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm good. Its gonna be a tootin New Years around Akron.

I almost forgot. I planted a Bartlett pear tree. It seems to be doing well.

SGB

Cyburbian
We don't have any fruits or vegetables yet.

Next growing season I need to get a handle on the care and maintenance what we have for landscaping, and perhaps then I'll consider planting more stuff.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
We had rhubarb, but it died out. An apple tree, got infested with who know what disease and took it out...
My dad is hoping to grow some basil this year...

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I'm apartment living now, but can't wait till I have a house with a yard to do some gardening. I tried container gardening, but the only space with enough area in my apartment has north exposure:p

donk

Cyburbian
No garden here, but I help my parent's with theirs.

Cherry Trees - enought for a pie this year
Pear trees - hiome made pickled pears
Apple Trees
Grape vines - the ones growing in donkey doo are doing better then the ones grown in peacock poop (a silly test)
Tomatoes
Raspberries
Gooseberries
Currants
Pumpkins
Watermelons
Chilli Peppers - own strain, based on haberneros and bird peppers

Wild bleberries and blackberries

if my back yard had good top soil and had not been used for a swimming pool for years, I'd probably have a small garden.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
We can't grow anything except weeds, tulips, and pink flamingos. Any suggestions on overcoming gardening ineptitude--like starter plants--would be welcome. Feel as though we should be more domesticated, we've had our house more than 3 years now. Tried a wildflower garden....a few survived dog trampling, flooding rains, and a cold summer.

biscuit

Cyburbian
I'm currently renting part of a zero-lot-line row house so there's no place to put a garden. Even if I were to buy a house soon It's doubtful that I could find any lots here in the city large enough for anything other than herbs and a couple of staked tomato plants.

My parents always kept a small 1 acre (.4047 hector for you internationals) garden at the edge of the yard while I was growing up. I wouldn't have thought so then but I kind of miss shelling peas, shucking corn, picking blueberries and all of that other bucolic b.s.

Last edited:

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
No gardener here. I hate getting dirt under my fingernails. And it distracts me when I'm playing single-team lacrosse.

Jessie-J

Cyburbian
I used to have a wonderful herb garden on my balcony but I went on vacation for 3 weeks and the EX BOYFRIEND (I love saying that) conveniently forgot to water them in the heat of August summer.

nerudite

Cyburbian
I have never had a garden of my own. I'm hoping to maybe do something small scale this year, now that I have my own house. Gardening wasn't conducive to moving once a year, which was my pattern up until I moved to Canada.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Jessie-J said:
I used to have a wonderful herb garden...
Speaking of wonderful herb gardens. I have this killer grow lamp in a hall closet that produces the best dan...Oops, my bad, wrong forum. ;)

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
LMAO biscuit!! :-D

BTW what's wrong with hydroponics? [cliché_phrase]Here In Valdivia[/cliché_phrase] It would be easy to make.. we got water everywhereand it rains a lot :p

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Tomatoes, green peppers, and green beans.

No more pink grapefruit for me. I had to have the tree (very, very old) taken down this year.

JNL

Cyburbian
mendelman said:
I'm apartment living now, but can't wait till I have a house with a yard to do some gardening.
Me too, can't wait to get back to it. Was really enjoying getting into organic gardening when I had a house and yard (and protested when the school we shared a border with wanted to spray weedkiller!! NIMBY!!!!). Had tomatoes, lettuce, beans, potatoes, pumpkins, feijoas, lemon and grapefruit trees, apple trees...

Damn, why did I let the ex keep the house??

tsc

Cyburbian
I used to have really good gardens.... now it is a challenge...living on the north slope ...lotsa trees... and a gazillion deer... but I manage to plant:
tomatoes, basil, lettuce, beans, hot peppers, green peppers, snap peas..

was a terrible year with all the rain we had.

iamme

Cyburbian
This year I just have my potted herbs that I use mostly for cooking. However, I'm getting together an area at my sister's house that she's letting me plant as a garden.(Only drawback to apartment living)

Rem

Cyburbian
Community Gardens

With all the sad stories of planners living gardenless due to their housing choice, I was wondering whether community gardens were popular in your neck of the woods.

We formally established a community garden in one of our suburbs about 18 months ago, though there are a lot of informal cooperative gardens on community land around the place.

I haven't followed the success or failure of the formalised venture but one thing that was a little odd about it was that it was initiated by the community in an area of very low density housing. There would not be a single house within 5 kilometres of the garden that didn't have space for at least a modest domestic garden. The intention of the community garden was as a life skills training/community development activity so maybe the irony was irrelevant.

The Irish One

Rem the community garden in my town is pathetic but, a lot of people use it and there is never an empty space. They need to expand!!!

DA Monkey

Cyburbian
not a vege garden or a herb garden

I had to tear up all the gardens in my yard, we're in the middle of landscaping a pool area. But I used to have mango's, passionfruit, mulberries, manderins, lemons a peach tree (that produced no peaches) and paw-paw's.

Im going to re-establish the lot again in a more suitable area of the yard as well as try my hand at strawberries.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
The Irish One said:
Yeah Cardinal we're not talking commercial ops here, ok
Well, I got the last half-bushel of apples off the tree, so I am done for the year. The garden is only about a quarter-acre. I may grow a large variety, but not many plants. The rest of the fruit trees and berries are scattered about other parts of the yard.

BiteMeElmo

Cyburbian
Re: basil

Tom R said:
I tried planting basil,
but it was fawlty.
Too bad no one else got the joke. Fawlty Towers was an awesome show.

I'm not sure if fungus falls into the category of fruit or veggie. You see, I have this thing on my foot.... ;)

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Re: Re: basil

BiteMeElmo said:
I didn't realize there was a requirement to reply if you get a joke!;-)

Tom R

Cyburbian

BiteMeElmo said:

I'm not sure if fungus falls into the category of fruit or veggie. You see, I have this thing on my foot.... ;)
Mushroom count...but not very high....unless....well, nevermind.

Tom R

Cyburbian

BiteMeElmo said:

I used to love the way they would rearrange the "Fawlty Towers" sign in the beginning. "Farty Towels" was one of my favorites.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Re: Re: Re: basil

Tom R said:
I used to love the way they would rearrange the "Fawlty Towers" sign in the beginning. "Farty Towels" was one of my favorites.
"Flowery Twats" was the best one!

otterpop

Cyburbian
I haven't gardened in a few years, though the place we are renting has raspberry bushes. Raspberries are okay but a little goes a long, long way. Would love to have a place where we could garden - Oregon sugar peas, strawberries, corn, green peppers, and squash. Of course the Holy Grail is watermelon, but in Montana, that is an optimist's gamble. You plant and hope the summer will be long enough and warm enough to get a few melons. Works about one out of every three or four years.