• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Who is celebrating tonight? (AKA: The 2004 NHL Playoffs Thread)

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
The Tranplanner household is on full alert - Leafs Jersey has been laundered, snacks have been stockpiled. Just need to get some beer and I'm all set.

This will be my first playoffs without cable (I'll get Leafs/Sens, Habs/Bruins, and Flames/Canucks on CBC in the first round). Wish me luck!

Habanero

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
The Tranplanner household is on full alert - Leafs Jersey has been laundered, snacks have been stockpiled. Just need to get some beer and I'm all set.

This will be my first playoffs without cable (I'll get Leafs/Sens, Habs/Bruins, and Flames/Canucks on CBC in the first round). Wish me luck!
Oooo, we're worried because we're not sure if the cable company we have to switch to offers the hockey package. I think I'll cry if I can't see Stars games. Oh, and NHL Tonight on ESPN is also rumored to be done, so I can't watch that or Hockey Night.

We've got beer, snacks, and jerseys waiting.. I've just got to go home and hang the Stars Flag!

nerudite

Cyburbian
I'm totally psyched this year... I have a feeling the Leafs will be doing well. The last two shutout games gives me greater confidence in Belfour. Toronto has put Ottawa away in previous years, so I think it will be a good round to watch on t.v.

I'll be rooting for the Leafs first, then all the other Canadian teams second (except Vancouver). I'll also root for anyone that plays against the Red Wings or Philly. :-D

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
BOOOOOOOOO!

NO GOAL! NO GOAL!

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
<<<<<<<<< :d: :-D

'nuff said?

Oh, by the way all you canuckistanians: I thought it was a sweater not a jersey. Or are you guys secretly with me ;-)

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
If I wasn't at a Planning Board meeting tonight, I'd be glued to the B's - Habs game.....I love this rivalry almost as much as Sox - Yankees.

Go B's!!

Key to the series:

boiker

Cyburbian
blah.. hockey

Hockey's great and all but, 'tis baseball season.

Go White Sox! :)

jmf

Cyburbian
I actually celebrated last night as the Canadians won the Women's World Hockey Championship....again. No NHL for me.

nerudite

Cyburbian
jmf said:
I actually celebrated last night as the Canadians won the Women's World Hockey Championship....again. No NHL for me.

Heh... don't even get me started in on this. ;) I'm VERY peeved at the bad officiating. One of the Canadian team's goals was questionable, and one of the American team's goals was definitely in, but then determined to be a no-goal. Grrrrrr! I don't mind losing to the Canadians, but on such a key game you would think they would at least *try* to keep it fair and square!

jmf

Cyburbian
I only listened to the game on the radio so I didn't see the goals, or not-goals, but I definitely agree that the US goal at the end should have been counted. All three commentators on radio were sure it was a goal plus they saw the video replay - which, for whatever strange reason, the referee and goal judge did not.

It sounded like the refereeing is very subjective - depending on the quality, experience, size and fitness of the teams playing. It is very strange.

nerudite

Cyburbian
jmf said:
It sounded like the refereeing is very subjective - depending on the quality, experience, size and fitness of the teams playing. It is very strange.
[OT]
Yeah, I agree. I'm not as familiar with international hockey or its officiating, so that's probably why I get extra frustrated. I'm actually glad the Canadians won... the country is so proud of their winning teams. If the US won, they'd be lucky to get a small blurb on some inside page of the sports section in the US. I wish that as much attention is paid to women's sports in the States as they are up here.
[/OT]

Habanero

Cyburbian
NHPlanner said:
If I wasn't at a Planning Board meeting tonight...
I got stuck at our Planning Board meeting until 9 p.m. but it doesn't look like I missed much of a game.

NHPlanner

Staff member
Habanero said:
I got stuck at our Planning Board meeting until 9 p.m. but it doesn't look like I missed much of a game.
No, you didn't. Watched the first 2 periods of the Avs - Stars game before I went to bed (mostly to catch any B's - Habs highlights). So far soo good for Raycroft! Wish I could have watched the game.

Budgie

Cyburbian
I've been celebrating the beginning of baseball season all week. I just hope my Royals can win the AL Central this year. And the Tigers are 3-0. Ah, hope springs eternal.

Last edited:

nerudite

Cyburbian
NHPlanner said:
No, you didn't. Watched the first 2 periods of the Avs - Stars game before I went to bed (mostly to catch any B's - Habs highlights). So far soo good for Raycroft! Wish I could have watched the game.
Raycroft was amazing! But watching the Avs game was similar... Abischer (sp?) was amazing as well. I love playoff hockey. Now if someone could just kick Detroit and Vancouver around the block, then I'll be a really happy puppy. Can't wait for the Leafs game tonight...

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I only made it through the first period of the Flames-Canucks last night. Looked like a good game (except for the score), but it was 11:30p.m., and I was done in.

NHPlanner

Staff member
Had to revive this thread after watching a GREAT 2ot thriller between the B's and Habs last night....

Raycroft continues to amaze me with his poise under pressure....and the Habs got exactly what they deserved on the game winning goal after the whole fake injury by Ribiero the other night.....WTF was Kovalev thinking whining about a slash (which if you watch the replay, never connected to his hands he was so frantically waving in "pain"), running into his own teammate, and leaving the puck laying right there for Murray?

Late night, but sooooooo worth it! :D

Go B's!

nerudite

Cyburbian
I don't think Raycroft has been that amazing since the first game. He has some good ones for the highlight reel from time to time, but overall he let in some softies last night too.

I'm totally surprised by Belfour, however. I'm not his hugest fan, but he's converting me slowly... too bad I have a night meeting tonight during the game. :(

NHPlanner

Staff member
nerudite said:
I don't think Raycroft has been that amazing since the first game. He has some good ones for the highlight reel from time to time, but overall he let in some softies last night too.

I'm totally surprised by Belfour, however. I'm not his hugest fan, but he's converting me slowly... too bad I have a night meeting tonight during the game. :(
Yeah...he's let in some soft goals.....but he's doing this year exactly what Theodore did to the Bruins 2 years ago in the first round....big late in games, stealing the series (in which MTL has outplayed the Bruins for the most part).

Habanero

Cyburbian
I didn't watch much last night, but did anyone see the winning goal Young made on Monday night? It was in OT, about 3-4 minutes in. I screamed so loud, I'm sure our neighbors thought I was crazy.

If the Stars don't pick up the pace though, I don't think they'll make it much further. It's depressing, they can be such a great team and sometimes it's like the play like they don't care.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Loads of fun going down 0-2 to Philthydelphia. Have to even it up tonight. It'll be a battle for sure.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Gedunker said:
Loads of fun going down 0-2 to Philthydelphia. Have to even it up tonight. It'll be a battle for sure.
The refs got one back for you!

LET'S GO FLYERS!

Oh, and you have some nerve calling anything "filthy"... swamp rat.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Mastiff said:
The refs got one back for you!
Well, that happens some times. Great teams overcome bad calls ;-)

Mastiff said:
Oh, and you have some nerve calling anything "filthy"... swamp rat.
Hey, swamps are great things -- cleaning the water, providing haven for all manner of wildlife. Not that Broad Street is devoid of its share of rats...

DEVILS!!!

Jeff

Cyburbian
Whats that smell?

Oh the wind must be blowing in from Jersey. Go Flyers!

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
nerudite said:
Couldn't have happened to a nicer team... well, unless that team was the Red Wings. ;)
So you don't like the neutral-zone trap? :-0

nerudite

Cyburbian
Gedunker said:
So you don't like the neutral-zone trap? :-0
I'm not a big fan of the trap. Makes games slow and boring in my opinion.

I actually started disliking NJ after I went to a playoff game at the Meadowlands during the last NYC APA conference. I got tickets the day of the game and it wasn't even sold out. That's just crappy fans... they don't deserve to win the cup with turnout like that!

NHPlanner

Staff member
nerudite said:
I'm not a big fan of the trap. Makes games slow and boring in my opinion.
Amen!

There were parts of the OT's in the B's-Habs game the other night that reminded me of college hockey games, the pace was frenetic, and had the announcers out of breath trying to keep up. That's the kind of hockey I like to see, mixed with good grinding and forechecking.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I am starting to get nervious. Who cares who's in goal. The wings need to score more than one goal in 6 periods of play. :-\

nerudite

Cyburbian
michaelskis said:
I am starting to get nervious. Who cares who's in goal. The wings need to score more than one goal in 6 periods of play. :-\
LOL... and now you'll have CuJo in goal... suckers! When I heard that this morning on the radio, I just laughed... Legace was fine, CuJo isn't even as good as he is. Silly coach.

Mark

Cyburbian
Best time of the year

This is one of the few times of the year I participate. Looks like almost everyone hates the Wings. But it's where I grew up and I do remember the original six. The Wings could recover or flop tonight against the Nashville. The Wings should win.

My family's second favourite team, Edmonton, didn't make it. We love to watch CBC and see the Oiler's end to end rushes.

Were lucky in the Detroit area, we have the Fox Sport Net, ESPN's and CBC out of Windsor.

I was surprised that someone else actually cared about womens hockey. My daughter's Honeybaked 16 U team lost to the Syracuse Stars in the USA Hockey National Championship game two weeks ago. Any other geeks in Brampton over Easter for the womens/girls tournament, largest in the North America. I have two boys and two girls in hockey, it consumes your life.

NH Planner, I assume you like the Bruins. Is LaPointe worth the $. I use to watch Sergie Samsonov when he played for the Detroit Vipers in the IHL.

NHPlanner

Staff member
Mark said:
NH Planner, I assume you like the Bruins. Is LaPointe worth the $. I use to watch Sergie Samsonov when he played for the Detroit Vipers in the IHL.
Lapointe is definitely an integral part of the B's....but they also definitely overpaid for him. More of a guy serving as "glue keeping the team together" than as an offensive weapon or a defensive guy. But take him off the team, and they're not the same.

Samsanov really is a treat to watch on a regular basis....when healthy....which has been a problem for him over the past couple of years. Pairing him up with Patrice Bergeron and Nylander has made that second line dynomite though!

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Gedunker said:
Well, that happens some times. Great teams overcome bad calls ;-)
Like last night? How many powershutoutplays did you have?

Gedunker said:
Hey, swamps are great things -- cleaning the water, providing haven for all manner of wildlife. Not that Broad Street is devoid of its share of rats...
Cleaning the water?! With toxic waste? And what haven for wildlife... those eight legged frogs, two headed turtles, and three-eyed fish? At least the rats on Broad Street look like rats! (Even if they are bigger than poodles...)

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Mastiff said:
Cleaning the water?! With toxic waste? And what haven for wildlife... those eight legged frogs, two headed turtles, and three-eyed fish? At least the rats on Broad Street look like rats! (Even if they are bigger than poodles...)
Hmmm, I don't recall ever mentioning anything about Three Mile Island in this thread. :-D

You still have to win one more to get past us. Yeah, yeah, I know something about the "Fat Lady" clearing her throat. May the best team win.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Gedunker said:
Hmmm, I don't recall ever mentioning anything about Three Mile Island in this thread. :-D

You still have to win one more to get past us. Yeah, yeah, I know something about the "Fat Lady" clearing her throat. May the best team win.

TMI?! Sheesh... what a reach. Harrisburg is only sixty miles closer to Philly than East Rutherford! And the fat lady is at the mic...

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Mastiff said:
TMI?! Sheesh... what a reach. Harrisburg is only sixty miles closer to Philly than East Rutherford! And the fat lady is at the mic...
Had to go TMI: even this Jersey boy wouldn't go to south Philly ;-)

NHPlanner

Staff member
Mastiff said:
Nor the Boston-Habs matchup! ;)
Never said it was.....I don't think the B's or the Habs are complete enough a team to win it all....I still like either Toronto or Tampa to survive the Eastern Conference....though I'd love to see the Bruins make it, and play havoc with the Democratic National Convention. ;-)

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Gedunker said:
Had to go TMI: even this Jersey boy wouldn't go to south Philly ;-)
They beat up Debbie fans, I don't blame you.

We used to love to take the train to MSG to watch the Flyers-Ranger games. About 20 of us... what wonderful scraps those were!

nerudite

Cyburbian
NHPlanner said:
Never said it was.....I don't think the B's or the Habs are complete enough a team to win it all....I still like either Toronto or Tampa to survive the Eastern Conference....though I'd love to see the Bruins make it, and play havoc with the Democratic National Convention. ;-)
Well, with Sundin and Niewendyk out, who knows how far Toronto will go. My guess is not very :(

Mastiff

Gunfighter
nerudite said:
Well, with Sundin and Niewendyk out, who knows how far Toronto will go. My guess is not very :(
The Flyers are pretty deep, I'm just wondering how good the Bolts really are...