• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Uses Who uses the NAICS in their land use matrix ?

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
If you used the NAICS code in your use matrix - how many digits do you use to list/describe uses ?

example:
Commercial
Retail
441 Motor Vehicle and Parts Dealers
4411 Automobile Dealers
4413 Automotive Parts, Accessories, and Tire Stores

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
We use it.

I think in our allowed uses table, we rarely describe what's allowed with more than the first three digits, but sometimes we might do a two digit with exceptions, like allowing all of 62, Health Care and Social assistance, but not 62XXXX, methadone clinics (made up example)

Honestly I wish we could get away from NAICS- it offers a false sense of precision and there are things that make sense to group in an economic analysis that are really different when ti comes to land use.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Honestly I wish we could get away from NAICS- it offers a false sense of precision and there are things that make sense to group in an economic analysis that are really different when ti comes to land use.
Agreed. It's not been used in any of the 5 munis I've worked for so far and is a crutch.

Land uses are not hard to categorize unless you want to be overly specific and/or target a specific variation for objective or subjective reasons - like 'Secondhand Store' as a specified subset of just 'Retail'. I have never witnessed a objective land use impact reason to make such a differentiation other than for cultural/socioeconomic reasons.

This is analogous to simply relying on ITE parking demands for parking requirements. We all know the issues with that.

Last edited:

DVD

Cyburbian
Surprisingly we only have a couple of the telegraph office type uses. Telegraph being one of them It's more like what do you call an auto body shop. Which one is it under:
- Auto or Automobile
- Car
- Vehicle
- Garage

Then we add the cumulative ordinance thing so is the use listed under industrial 1 or 2 maybe it was already allowed in commercial 3, 2, 1? Just go hunting until you find the first reference.

Then we add in the uses that could be listed with other things. Instead of saying retail uses in general we have things like Nut Shop. Instead of listing a general factory type use we have Tortilla factory. Some things are oddly specific.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Then we add in the uses that could be listed with other things. Instead of saying retail uses in general we have things like Nut Shop. Instead of listing a general factory type use we have Tortilla factory. Some things are oddly specific.
These are the type of use lists that annoy me.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Well what I don't like is just straight alphabetic listing like

Car Wash
Cemetery
Community Center

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
This. I've said this so many times, I probably need to have some cut-and-paste text whenever NAICS is brought up. The system is intended for industry classification, not land use or environmental impact. A few examples:

4539 Other Miscellaneous Store Retailers
453920 Art Dealers
453930 Manufactured (Mobile) Home Dealers

3118 Bakeries and Tortilla Manufacturing
311811 Retail Bakeries
311812 Commercial Bakeries

3259 Other Chemical Product and Preparation Manufacturing
325910 Printing Ink Manufacturing
325920 Explosives Manufacturing

8129 Other Personal Services
812910 Pet Care (except Veterinary) Services
812921 Photofinishing Laboratories (except One-Hour)
812922 One-Hour Photofinishing
812930 Parking Lots and Garages
812990 All Other Personal Services

Not really mutually compatible uses. If you really want to use NAICS, though, use all the digits. Yeah, it's granual as hell, and the legislative result would be something out of the 1950s, but it avoids the problems of having uses with wildly different impacts under two to four digit subgroups.

The APA LCBS is better, but it's not really meant for land use regulation. Uses are classified in three different ways -- activity, function, and structure -- but not mutual compatibility. The APA LCBS is useful for zoning code interpretation, especially if you're trying figure out if or where a use that's not listed in your zoning code would fit in.

Here's how I broke down land uses in the FBC I've been working on. Uses are broad in many cases, but more granular for certain aspects of a broader use. (Example - adult uses could be seen as general retail, but singling it out excludes it from the broader use.) It's missing a lot, but consider development will be in an urban context. For example, there's no reason to single out auto dealers or whatever, because the building type and site development standards wouldn't allow the kind of facility they want.

Residential
A Dwelling unit
B Live-work dwelling unit
C Collective living
D Residential care facility

Lodging
A Bed and breakfast inn
B Hotel
C Short term rental

Retail / service /office
A Adult use
B Commercial recreation: indoor
C Day care center
D Funeral services
E Professional office
F Restaurant / cafe / bar
G Retail and service: general

Vehicular
A Vehicle fueling
B Vehicle repair: light

Industrial and semi-industrial
A Artisan
B Industrial use: low impact
C Research / laboratory

Civic
A Community workshop
B Cultural facility
C Farmers market (permanent site)
D Park / preserve area
E Place of assembly
F Private club / lodge
G Public safety
H School: primary / secondary
J School: college / university / vocational

Utility and communications
A Utility substation
B Wireless facility

Semi-mobile
A Food truck
B Food truck court

Accessory uses and single-purpose structures
A Antenna: radio hobbyist
B Day care: home
C Donation collection box
D Drive-through facility
E Farmers market (recurrent or one time)
F Farm stand
G Home occupation
H Housing: accessory unit
J Solar energy system

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
@Dan I hope to work my municipality's code into something like this.

I have to be "creative" with my use determinations far too often- for example mini-storage, if I recall, falls under rental and leasing (like the use is more the sales office than the actual storage) so when you want to allow mini-storage in your industrial district, but not offices of retailers, you have to "interpret" that mini storage is "warehousing" which you do allow.

A wiser man than me once said "just zone for the few things you really don't want in the district, and then be broad about the things you'll allow."

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
A wiser man than me once said "just zone for the few things you really don't want in the district, and then be broad about the things you'll allow."
Shouldn't that really just be the fundamental point of land use regulation?

We've all got these giant long land use tables/lists that regulate 100% of the people because of 10% of the bad actors.

It just got out of hand because of political processes/people and/or staff that was too literal.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
Shouldn't that really just be the fundamental point of land use regulation?

We've all got these giant long land use tables/lists that regulate 100% of the people because of 10% of the bad actors.

It just got out of hand because of political processes/people and/or staff that was too literal.
Not just staff being too literal- an overly-complicated use list also opens approvals up to spurious appeals from neighbors who want to throw sand in the gears.