• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Who went to your college?

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I am not sure if this question has been asked before, but it seems like every college has famous people who have graduated from there and have gone on to do great things, or not so great things...

There have been a few from Northern Michigan University, but I would say that the one that stands out in my mind is this guy...

"THIS GUY"

The funny thing is NMU just got their first store the year after I graduated, and few people ever know that he went to school there. I have a friend who’s dad was in classes with the guy. (My friends dad owns a small, rundown looking motor cycle shop and is stuck in the 1970’s. I am glad to see that this guy moved on.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Former Isreali Prime Minister Golda Meir
Llate NASCAR racer Alan Kulwicki
Alberto Fujimori exiled controversial persident of Peru.
Frank Caliendo - Known for dead-on John Madden Impersonations and taunting the guys on Fox's NFL Pregame Show. Had an English class with him called "Stand Up Comedy and The Other" Which analized stand up comedians. I guess he studied more than I.
Speech, lead singer of Arrested Development was in the dorms at the same time as me.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
University of Michigan (it's a large and relatively old school.....so)

Let's see:
These are some that graduated

-The entire flight crew for the Apollo 15 Moon mission
-Mayo, William J., MD1883 - cofounder, Mayo Clinic
-Walgreen, Charles, '58 - founder, Walgreens drugstores
-Ford, Gerald, '35, HLLD'74 - president of the United States 1974-77
-Kasdan, Lawrence, '70, MA'72 - screenwriter/director: The Big Chill, Body Heat, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Return of the Jedi, Silverado
-Miller, Arthur, '38 playwright - stage/films/TV: Death of a Salesman, The Crucible, The Misfits, Playing For Time
-Blair, Selma, '95 - TV: Zoe Films: Cruel Intentions, Down to You
-Grier, David Allen, '78 TV: In Living Color, DAG Stage: Dream Girls, A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum Films
-Davis, Ann B., '48 - TV: The Brady Bunch Stage, Films
-Jones, James Earl, '65, HLHD'70 - Films: Field of Dreams, voice of Darth Vader in Star Wars series, A Clear and Present Danger Stage: The Great White Hope, Fences TV
-Liu, Lucy, '90 - TV: Ally McBeal, NYPD Blue, ER Films: Charlie's Angels Payback, True Crime
-Me - current planner for a third-ring former exurb within the Chicago Metropolitan Area ;-)

Those that didn't graduate(I'm pretty sure):
-Iggy Pop
-Madonna
-Una-Bomber

Last edited:

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
I'm sure there are more but

Tim Allen

Went to my College Western Michgian Unitversity, and got kicked out (I think) for posession of Coke, and not the the soft drink.

otterpop

Cyburbian
I also went to USM. Not yet mentioned was Kathleen Koch, CNN correspondent and a classmate of mine. Newsman Chuck Scarborough, too. He also worked for the local TV station WDAM.

I also attended the University of Montana, whose distinguished alumni include Carroll O'Connor, and Senator Mike Mansfield.

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
A few LSU notables include:

- Shaquille O'Neal
- "Pistol" Pete Maravich
- Hubert Humphrey, Vice President of the United States (1965 - 1969)
- Carlos Roberto Flores, President of Honduras (1997 - )
- Max Faget, Director of NASA Engineering & Development
- Rex Reed, New York author & movie critic

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Mount Holyoke College:

Emily Dickinson, poet
Carol Higgins Clark, writer
Virginia Apgar, Apgar score for newborns
Ella Grasso, Conn. governor
Wendy Wasserstein, playwright
Frances Perkins, first woman in Cabinet, under FDR
Glenda Hatchett (Judge Hatchett on courtroom t.v. series)

In case you hadn't noticed from the above, it's a women's college.

boiker

Cyburbian
These are the famous grads of Northern Illinois University:

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/9857/robert_zemeckis.jpg
ROBERT ZEMEKIS
Academy Award Winning Director
Some of his more famous films include; Tales From the Crypt, Back to the Future trilogy, Romancing the Stone, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Forrest Gump, What Lies Beneath, and Cast Away.

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/9857/hastert.jpg
DENNIS HASTERT
Speaker of the House of Representatives

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/9857/233f1be0.jpg
DAN CASTELLATO
Voice of Homer Simpson

Last edited by a moderator:

Elisabeth

Cyburbian
Catholic University

For a relatively small school, we have some notable alums...

-Susan Sarandon
-Jon Voight
-The co-creator of Blues Clues (for the parents out there)
-Maureen Dowd (political columnist for the New York Times)
-Martin O'Malley (mayor of Baltimore)
-Terry McAulffie (Democratic Party National Chairman)
-Ed Gillespie (Republican Party National Chairman)
-Sen Tom Harkin, Iowa
-Ed McMahon
-Helen Hayes
-Brian Williams, NBC News
-Miss District of Columbia 2003--hehe (it's true!)
-Brian Cashman, GM of the Yankees
-the GM of the Carolina Panthers (can't remember his name)

nerudite

Cyburbian
Move along... nobody famous here

From the Cal Aggie Alum website:

Famous faces who call Davis their alma mater include U.S. Secretary of Agriculture Ann Veneman; Steve Robinson and Tracy Caldwell, NASA astronauts; Jackie Speier, California state senator; Lucy Spelman, director of the Smithsonian Institution's National Zoo; and Tim Mondavi, vice chair and winegrower for Robert Mondavi Winery.
Uh... okay. Only Budgie will be impressed by this: one of my best friends was featured in a Primus video, and he went to my alma mater. :)

I can only remember athletes and coaches from the Unversity of Kansas.

Wilt Chamberlin
Dr. James Naismith, invented the game of basketball. He also taught and coached there.
Phog Allen, a protege of Dr. Naismith
Dean Smith, a protege of Allen's. Played for and coached under Allen.
Gale Sayers, HOF running back for the Chicago Bears (He's from Omaha! :-D )

michaelskis

Cyburbian
PlannerByDay said:

Tim Allen

Went to my College Western Michgian Unitversity, and got kicked out (I think) for posession of Coke, and not the the soft drink.
It was Pot...

Other NMU grads include Steve Mariuci (Lions Head Coach) and Tom Izzo (MSU Mens Basketball Coach)

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
No, I didn't go to acting school... :-\

- Wesley Snipes
- Stanley Tucci (Big Night)
- Parker Posey
- Sherry Stringfield ("ER")
- Steven Weber ("Wings")
- Edie Falco ("The Sopranos")

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Merlin Olsen, Logan
All-America defensive tackle at Utah State. Was original member of the Los Angeles Rams "Fearsome Foursome." Played defensive tackle for Los Angeles Rams of the National Football League, 1962-1976. Best known for playing Michael Landon's close friend "Jonathan Garvey" on "Little House on the Prairie (1977-1981)

Rulon Jones
Utah State star was UPI's 1986 AFC Defensive Player of the Year with Broncos, setting team record with 13 1/2 sacks.

Jay Don Blake
1980 NCAA golf champion and '81 collegiate player of the year at Utah State; has one win, five runners-up in 13 seasons on PGA Tour.

Lt. Col Chase J. Nielsen attended Utah State University and graduated in 1939.
"Doolittle Tokyo Raid." spent 40 months as a Prisoner of War.

RICHARD "DICK" STILLMAN, 1921- 1988
1995 Colorado Ski Hall of Fame He served in the US Army 10th Mountain Division from 1943-46, trained at Camp Hale and saw action in Italy. He graduated from Utah State University in 1950. Was one of the top avalanche authorities in the United States.

Last edited:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Actor and comedian Tim Allen
Mayor of Detroit Dennis Archer
ESPN/ABC sports analyst John Saunders
President of Detroit Tigers Dave Dombrowski

Elisabeth

Cyburbian
GeogPlanner said:
um...hmmm...you know, i have no idea. guess that's what i guess going to a state university...
Lest you forget, GeogPlanner, The University of Albany boasts the quintessential 80s actor, Steve Guttenberg, of the famed Police Academy movies, Cocoon, and Three Men and a Baby as an alum. Actor/Director Ed Burns attended Albany for a little while too, but transferred to Hunter. Binghamton has a lot of famous alums for a SUNY too--several of the Baldwins, Tony Kornheiser, Paul Reiser, to name a few.

ChevyChaseDC

Cyburbian
PlannerByDay said:

Tim Allen

And yet he received an honorary doctorate on "Home Improvement"

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
michaelskis said:
It was Pot...
Actually, Tim Allen was busted for cocaine posession in 1978.

As the cops were hauling him off I said "Fellow WMU alumnus, what are you doing to yourself?" I happened to be holding a power tool in my hand at the time which I gestured with and said "You need to rebuild your life. Show the world your Bronco spirit" The rest is, of course, history and now Tim sends my family a fruitcake every year as a show of gratitude for the message of hope I gave to him on that day. Hallmark is making a movie about it now where Mr. Allen will play himself and I will be played by Brad Pitt.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
the north omaha star said:

Wilt Chamberlin
Dr. James Naismith, invented the game of basketball. He also taught and coached there.
Phog Allen, a protege of Dr. Naismith
Dean Smith, a protege of Allen's. Played for and coached under Allen.
Gale Sayers, HOF running back for the Chicago Bears (He's from Omaha! :-D )
My school was small and I can't think of anyone truly famous, but I couldn't let my favorite player of all time not get mentioned from Kansas: the great John Riggins!

Floridays

Cyburbian
the north omaha star said:
Ditto...we're from the same neck of the woods so I guess it's to be expected. :-D

The University of Oklahoma has produced some v. well-known coaches (ie Barry Switzer) and athletes (Brian Bosworth, Selmon brothers, Uwe Von Shoman, Bud Wilkinson) -- don't look at my spelling!

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
You know Maister, if you ever need a second job or career, you could probably be a pretty successful fiction author. I'd probably buy one of your books ;-)

Holding a power tool as Tim's led off in cuffs. LOL

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
Elisabeth said:
Lest you forget, GeogPlanner, The University of Albany boasts the quintessential 80s actor, Steve Guttenberg, of the famed Police Academy movies, Cocoon, and Three Men and a Baby as an alum. Actor/Director Ed Burns attended Albany for a little while too, but transferred to Hunter. Binghamton has a lot of famous alums for a SUNY too--several of the Baldwins, Tony Kornheiser, Paul Reiser, to name a few.
well i'll be a monkey's uncle...i'm a bit ashamed to know very little in terms of famed alumni. guess i have some work to do with the alumni association board of directors.

although...Jimmy Fallon did attend the College of St. Rose down the road in Albany.

Rumpy Tunanator said:
This guy went to my elementary school.
http://www.undercover.com.au/pics/michaeljacksonmadisonsquaregarden.jpg

Actually other than a few local tv/radio personalities, I can't think of any famous alumni other than Rumpy Tunanator (keep telling yourself that buddy).
...he still wishes he was there, too.

Last edited by a moderator: