• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Who's Getting Wet?

The mighty Ohio River seems to be behaving itself for now, even though it has poured down rain every day for a week or so here. My backyard is developing all sorts of neat water features. (note to TranPlanner: check your drainage!)

My former home, Fort Wayne, Indiana is getting completely flooded out, as is every other town, village, and beanfield in northeastern Indiana.

Anyone else suffering through the Great Midwest Soak of 2003? How up-to-date are your community flood regulations and emergency plans? Has your jackass neighbor planted shrubs in the drainage swale?

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Andy Dobson said:
(note to TranPlanner: check your drainage!)
The last time my area of the City was under water was 10,000 years ago, when Lake Iroquois existed...

I may have a blocked downspout connection to the sewer line - I'll have to disconnect it and run it out onto the lawn.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
We had to unwire the electric meter to one of our wells yesterday. It was about 1 inch from going under. The water has receded now though.

Re: Re: Who's Getting Wet?

Tranplanner said:
The last time my area of the City was under water was 10,000 years ago, when Lake Iroquois existed...

I may have a blocked downspout connection to the sewer line - I'll have to disconnect it and run it out onto the lawn.
Ahh, the mortgage company will still probably hook you for flood insurance, because you never know--the glaciers might come back!

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
We've had seven days of rain too, but the concentration hasn't been too bad. Everthing is saturated but the run off rates are slow enough that the systems are handling it.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Chet said:
We've had seven days of rain too, but the concentration hasn't been too bad. Everthing is saturated but the run off rates are slow enough that the systems are handling it.
About the same here. There has been some flash flooding in some of the suburban creeks during those heavy afternoon thunderstorms and a couple of small bank give-ways but that's just about it.

Jeff

Cyburbian
I think Stonehenge is getting wet.....calm down girl. Good girl.

mike gurnee said:
We just issued a "Water Warning" today due to no rain and lawn watering.
Ahh...what I'd do for a little drought. At least long enough to clean out my gutters and cut the grass.

More sun out my window to the west, and a strange blue coloration to the sky poking out from the grey.

JNL

Cyburbian
We've had a lot of heavy rain here in the last week. My car aquaplaned on the way to work yesterday! It was fun (but only because I survived). Hit this big puddle in the fast lane with no warning and skidded right across the top - 1 second never seemed so long...

Cardinal

Cyburbian
During June we had almost a 3" rain deficit. I won't complain about getting a few good showers now.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Back in the early 1970's my Grandmother lived in the Point Place section of Toledo. Her big house overlooked Lake Erie. In fact the lake was about 30-feet from her front door. (Houses on lakes tend to have the front facing the lake.)

It wasn't an unusual monsoon season that changed her world those few days. Strong (gale-force) northeast winds blew shallow Lake Erie into Point Place, creating the same scenes you see today in floods. Her 2-story house flooded up to the 2nd-story. The National Guard was called out to help evacuate the area. National news....the whole bit.

Well, Gramma didn't speak much English. About the only words she could say were "Here's a quarter, Michael" or "Here's a dime, Terry", etc. (Isn't that the way with most Grams?)

When the National Guard arrived she thought, since she grew up in Poland-Russia-Lithuania during the turn of the Century, that they were soldiers and they wanted her house. She started to hit these poor guys with a broom handle. Luckily, my older brother was there to come to "their" rescue and save the world from the wrath of a "mad gramm-mama".

A few years earlier my son was born on a day that it rained eleven (11) inches in Toledo.

Now when the news focuses on heavy rains somewhere or the devastation of floods.....I think about my son and my grandmother.

Even on a rainy day, it's all in the family.

P.S. Most of this rain swerved around Toledo.

Bear

BKM

Cyburbian
Andy: My hometown is Fort Wayne, also! (I'm a Snider High School and IU_PU Fort Wayne Alumni)

My mother luckily does not live near the Maumee or the Saint Mary's Rivers, and Weather.com didn't mention any flooding near the Saint Joseph River.

I guess I shouldn't complain about 98 degree heat here in California. :(

BKM said:
Andy: My hometown is Fort Wayne, also! (I'm a Snider High School and IU_PU Fort Wayne Alumni)

My mother luckily does not live near the Maumee or the Saint Mary's Rivers, and Weather.com didn't mention any flooding near the Saint Joseph River.

I guess I shouldn't complain about 98 degree heat here in California. :(
Sheesh. Small world. I lived there for seven years, and graduated with an MPA from IPFW in '99. They just called me last night and chiseled an alumni contribution out of me.

My old neighborhood (Southwood Park) is getting socked with water. I hope the sump pump I installed in the old house is holding up!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
It's been very hot and dry here lately. There was a spooky thunderstorm yesterday, with "Jesus is coming now!" type thunder and sky-brightening lightning, but the storm passed in a couple of hours.

Runner

Cyburbian
It's been raining a lot here too and it's real green around here. Unfortunately, that means I have a damn lawn to mow :(