• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Who's Online

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Just asking, but why has the Who's online feature been disabled for us regular users? It appears now as restricted access.
I doubt it's because of security issues, because IP addresses were not shown for regular users.
Mabye you don't know that this feature is quite usefull for the low traffic hours in which anybody can see since when have other users been active.

Well that's just my question, hope you admins can answer it. :)

Budgie

Cyburbian
Yeah, I was wondering about that yesterday. I just figured I'd been neglected the feature for some reason. Please, open it up again.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I can still see it :) I'm not sure what happened to it - as far as I know, there was no concious decision made to get rid of it...

Jeff

Cyburbian
I see it too....maybe the stuff's starting to kick in ...

biscuit

Cyburbian
Nope, not working for me either.

It says that I don't have access, that I'm not special enough...

el Guapo

Capitalist
I looked. I can not fix it. We can get along with out it for a while, I suspect.

Jeff

Cyburbian
el Guapo said:
I looked. I can not fix it. We can get along with out it for a while, I suspect.
Speak for yourself dammit! We NEED to know! NEED to know who is out there man!

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Mike D. said:
Speak for yourself dammit! We NEED to know! NEED to know who is out there man!
Why? Most of you are invisible anyway....well invisible to most. ;)

Rem

Cyburbian
If you are referring to the listat the bottom of the "Thread Home" page - I can still see it.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Rem said:
If you are referring to the listat the bottom of the "Thread Home" page - I can still see it.
I'm refering to This.
It SHOULD take you to a page that shows (more or less in somewhat detail) what other online users are doing and at what hour they were last active.
It wouldn't be strange that it only affects normal users, and mods, supermods, and admins can see it...
AFAIK On other forums if you're a mod you can also see the users IP addresses.
Anyways, thanks to EG for having the will to look at it :)

el Guapo

Capitalist
Can anyone other than a moderator see the IP's? If so please reply.

Thanks

Rem

Cyburbian
Thanks SkeL I see what everyone is talking about now. I've never been there before B-).

eG sorry for the confusion - I see nothing at the place SkeL defined.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I tried to access Skel's link and I am now a bad person: I do not have the authority to access that link. Waaaahh!

What was it, anyway??

JNL

Cyburbian
A useful feature

I can't access it any more either. I found it quite useful when I was waiting for a response to a thread, because you can see if anyone is replying to that thread - so sometimes I'd wait around a bit longer to read their response before logging out.

Basically it allowed you to see what everyone was doing - what threads they were reading, or maybe using the PM system, creating a new thread etc etc.

But you can only see those people who elect to be 'visible' while logged in - otherwise they show up as guests.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Ok, I take it back then, I can't see a darn thing in here. Thought we were referring to the bottom of the Forums home page. But it could just be all the early eggnog I've had this weekend......

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I'll return the feature ... if you aren't concerned with feeling that your privacy might be compromised by havig others know what you're doing while you're online.

I cut the feature off for regular users because of privacy issues (most vBulletin sites have the feature disabled for regular users), and because accessing it strains MySQL with more queries, which could slow down the site a little bit.

Rem

Cyburbian
Dan said:
I'll return the feature ... if you aren't concerned with feeling that your privacy might be compromised...
What is this privacy of which you speak? ;)