• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Who's the Goat?

Who's the Goat?

• Option A - Two sisters enjoying the Cubbies on a Tuesday evening

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Option B - Excited boys looking for an autograph from Sammy Sosa

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Option C - Single middle-aged unemlpoyed freak who has never been laid

Votes: 18 78.3%

• Total voters

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
It's not that poor guy's fault the Cubs lost the game.

He messed up one play.

He didn't pitch in the 8th inning. He didn't bobble an apparently easy infield grounder.

But he is pretty dorky looking though, and I know from dorky.

El Goato:
It was those damn sisters. They freaked out Prior. ;-)

Last edited:

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Option a) did not load on my page, but, I would say the "Billy GOAT Curse" belongs to Dusty Baker. Why didn't he yank Prior prior to wearing out. (Baker has a history of staying with starters too long, IMO.)

Most sports sites I've looked at today say the dork didn't reach into the field of play and that a "player enters the stands at his own risk". Still, you'd think a real Small Bears fan would know better.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Oh, those loveable losers. And you're right, Gedunker about Dusty screwing up. He did the same thing last season with the Giants' pitching staff in the World Series.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
My new avatar sums up my feeling. Being at numerous games at Wrigley and having them invade Miller Park every year, I can honestly say that I can't stand a lot of the Cubs fans and this makes me so happy!!

Although I think that the biggest goat is Alex Gonzalez who dropped a sure double play that would have ended the inning.

gkmo62u

Cyburbian
Looks a little like Ben Stiller?

The curse for both the red sox and cubs will not end this year.

The place sounded so quiet it was actually uncomfortable watching on TV.

Can't really blame the guy, the ball was in the stands and people react to a ball coming at them.

Prior was left in to long
Gonzalez made the error
Bull pen put gas on the fire

Yanks sweep Marlins in 4.

there were about 8 people reaching out for that ball - if it hadn't been him, it would have been someone else. that said, all those people were a bunch of morons.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
gkmo62u said:
The curse for both the red sox and cubs will not end this year.
I'm not giving up yet! (although if Nomar hits another first pitch pop up, I might!)

Bounce back day today for both the sox and cubs......

jordanb

Cyburbian
I was so pissed at that guy I wished I was there to punch him when it happened, but it was not his fault.

The ball was clearly over the wall, there was no way for him to see Alou running up to the wall, even if he had, he couldn't have known Alou would have been able to stick his glove into the stands and catch the ball. There were at least three other people reaching for it, none of them realized what was happening ether. One of the guys who reached for it was interviewed and said he would have pushed him out of the way if he realized what was happening, but there just wasn't any way to know. I doubt there's anyone here who would have done differently in that circumstance.

Also, Prior was in for too long, but they should have left him in to finish up the eighth. Farnsworth walked out onto a field that was heavily stacked against him, and he just wasn't good enough to get out of it. At least Prior has shown himself able to get out of those situations.

NHPlanner said:
I'm not giving up yet! (although if Nomar hits another first pitch pop up, I might!)

Bounce back day today for both the sox and cubs......
Absolutely. Wood is pitching tonight, and he's almost been doing better than Prior in this series. The Cubs are going to kick some ass.

el Guapo

Capitalist
I'm sort of aware of the hubbub that is going on with this baseball incident because we have TV on in the house on occasion. But I don't understand the anger some of you seem to feel towards these poor goofy bastards. The concept of a clueless fan grabbing at a baseball seems to me to be possible and very foreseeable. It is part of the design of the field. Check out Robot Wars for fan-proof playing filed designs. Otherwise chalk it up to an act of nature. It happened - why the hate? Why the need to make this guy pay for the rest of his life? It’s a FREAKING GAME played by pampered assholes with mega-salaries and bad taste in clothes.

There, I have intruded into a thread, with little knowledge about the incident, where my opinion was not wanted and spouted off in an irritating and confrontational manner. Wouldn't you say that was typical sports fan behavior. Thank you. Goodnight. ;)

Seabishop

Cyburbian
I hope the pitching matchup isn't as bad for the Red Sox as it seems on paper. I don't ever remember the Sox hitting well against Pettitte so I don't think they're going to come alive tonight. We'll just have to take him out with a well timed brawl. ;)

Who would've thought we'd be longing for Wakefield to pitch everyday?

I am pessimistic and I've got 8 hours to come up with a good coping mechanism. :(

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Lack of Sartorial Splendor

Slightly OT:

el Guapo said:
It’s a FREAKING GAME played by pampered assholes with mega-salaries and bad taste in clothes.
el Guapo may not know it, but he's right about the bad taste in clothes, IMO. What is up with the blue Small Bears jerseys and the black Fish jerseys? Yechh.

Home = White
Visitor = Grey
Ever and always.

NHPlanner

Staff member
Seabishop said:
I hope the pitching matchup isn't as bad for the Red Sox as it seems on paper. I don't ever remember the Sox hitting well against Pettitte so I don't think they're going to come alive tonight. We'll just have to take him out with a well timed brawl. ;)

Who would've thought we'd be longing for Wakefield to pitch everyday?

I am pessimistic and I've got 8 hours to come up with a good coping mechanism. :(
Maybe some mystery muscle ailment (ala Tim Hudson) will strike Pettite tonight. :)

I like the Sox chances tonight, based solely on how well (and how frustratingly painful it has been to watch) they've played in elimination games against the A's. Wakefield will pitch today. Mark my words.

donk

Cyburbian
Seabishop posted
I am pessimistic and I've got 8 hours to come up with a good coping mechanism
There is always old faithful..... beer.

gkmo62u

Cyburbian
NHP you are not kidding about Nomar first pitch swinging. But he is always a first pitch, fastball hitter.

Looks bad when you are slumping.

Having Wakefield pitch scares me. Yanks are bound to figure him out at some point. And if he is in today, means Burkett fared poorly.

H

Cyburbian
I feel terrible for this guy, but if it is any consolation, he his being celebrated here in Miami. If he gets depressed or beat up in Chi town he should hop a plane this way, put on a Fish cap and be the toast of the party!

*for the record, I am rooting for the Cubs tonight.

steveanne

This guy is going to end up dead or dismembered if the Cubs don't win tonight.

The lousy local media jumped on this one and now have released his name, where he works, his neighborhood, his hobbies, and also interviewd his family.

So, if this guy dies in the next few days, you can thank The Sun-Times, The Chicago Tribune, and WBBM, who all gave out this poor guy's personal info. I am rooting for the Cubs too, but come on... This is some guy's life... Even if he does wear a walkman circa 1987.

Joe Iliff

Reformed City Planner
Baseball Rules

1: If a player on your team can field the ball, get out of the way!

If that had been the third out of an inning, Alou probably would have given him the ball for staying out of the way. Regardless of what out it was, you'd be able to say you help a major league ballplayer field a pop fly for an out. He might even remember you and give you something for it (autograph, etc.) later.

If the ball can't be fielded by your team, and it's clearly in the stands, go for it. If it's in the field of play, interfering will just get your team's batter out, or at least taint a win with cries of a missed interference call.

Out of all the people there, you'd think somebody would have pulled everyone else out of the way, or at least called them off.

From now on, players should call fans off if they are approaching the stands. Players should not assume they are going to be given the right-of-way by fans, either in or out of the field of play.

Jeff

Cyburbian
I remember in 1993 when Mitch Williams "lost" the world series for the Phillies. He still gets death threats, etc to this day.

Thais guy is alot more accessible than Mitch is/was. I feel sorry for him. There were alot of people going for that ball. He's just the one the TV cameras decided to focus in on and lay blame to.

The Irish One

Well the cubs game starts in less than an hour and I can't help wonder if the Chicago police dept. has a presence in the neighborhood of this unfortunate soul. In case of a loss, I hope so!

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
The baby bears lost it on thier own. 3 runs in the first ening. That guy will be just more highlight reels the NEXT time the cubs get into the playoffs. Oh well, I was rooting for them but my life and happiness didn't center on them. Better luck next time guys! :)

michaelskis

Cyburbian
So I am thinking that the guy might now be looking for a place in Florda. It might be the only safe place for him to be.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Seabishop said:
Seabishop I'm glad to say you are a faithless idiot. (Can you write ad hominem attacks about yourself?) The beer was for celebration not depression. If the Sox make the World Series they should purposely lose the first 3 games.

NHPlanner

Staff member
Seabishop said:
Seabishop I'm glad to say you are a faithless idiot. (Can you write ad hominem attacks about yourself?) The beer was for celebration not depression. If the Sox make the World Series they should purposely lose the first 3 games.
LOL....I missed the end of the game because of a Planning Board meeting....fortunately, 2 Board members had family calling their cell phones with updates. :p

Game 7 baby....Pedro V. Roger II. Can't wait!

Repo Man

Cyburbian
This guy on the local radio has hit this on the head. He said that the Cubs have poked the Baseball Gods in the eye too many times and that is why they lost:

- Trying to charge the rooftop owners to allow them to watch the games

-Installing a fence to screw these people out of the rooftoop views under the guise of post 9-11 security

- Trying to get the City to close Waveland Avenue and charge 6 bucks for the privlege of standing out there to catch HR balls during the game.

- Sammys corked bat

- Buying up their own tickets then scalping them to their fans, turing a huge profit and screwing MLB out of their shared revenue from ticket sales

- All of these people assuming they would win it when they were up 3-1. Headlines reading "Destiny Delayed" and Ron Santo making preperations to broadcast the World Series from his house.

- Dusty Bakers commments about hispanic and black players and heat.

- "That Guy" from game 6

Jeff

Cyburbian
Repo Man said:

- Buying up their own tickets then scalping them to their fans, turing a huge profit and screwing MLB out of their shared revenue from ticket sales

Please elaborate on this. I haven't heard this before.

pete-rock

Cyburbian
Mike D. said:
Please elaborate on this. I haven't heard this before.
The Cubs set up their own independent ticket brokerage (read: scalping) agency. The agency would buy Cub tix at face value from the Cubs, and then sell them at a way-marked-up value like scalpers would. Earlier this summer it was found out that the employees of the brokerage agency were Cub or Tribune employees, too. The Tribune Co. owns the Cubs.

This was seen as one way of increasing revenue, without having to pay more into the shared revenue pot of the MLB.

pete-rock

Cyburbian
Local news has been all over the Cubs' "new goat". An investigative reporter put his home on TV, and showed that two suburban police cars were parked out front because of death threats.

The guy released a statement yesterday through his brother-in-law, and he never saw Moises Alou, and he never thought Alou had a play on the ball.

I'm a White Sox fan myself. But I've gone from being angry at the guy to being really sorry for him. He may want to consider staying in South Florida, where I'm sure he'd be treated like a king.

Jeff

Cyburbian
michaelskis said:
So I am thinking that the guy might now be looking for a place in Florda. It might be the only safe place for him to be.
Word on the street is Jeb Bush has offered him asylum.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
The Cubs lost the game, not the fan. Although the fans in Chicago will never forget. He'd better move out of town real fast and go to someplace like Coldfoot, Alaska, to lay low for oh, his lifetime.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
I didn't see the game last night -- community meeting for our comp plan update. Did Baker make any blunders with the pitching staff?? And I agree, the fan didn't blow it. Cubs had plenty of other opportunities.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
RichmondJake said:
I didn't see the game last night -- community meeting for our comp plan update. Did Baker make any blunders with the pitching staff?? And I agree, the fan didn't blow it. Cubs had plenty of other opportunities.
No, Baker couldn't screw it up last night. Wood just didn't have his best stuff and the Marlins played loose and stayed loose.

Didn't Baker keep Wood in a game earlier this year when he had a no-no going, then lost it and the Small Bears ended up losing the game (to St. Louis, maybe)? Almost a replay of Game 6.

Budgie

Cyburbian
Can anyone confirm reports that the Chicago PD was letting bystanders deficate and urinate on Steve Bartman's front porch?

jordanb

Cyburbian
Budgie said:
Can anyone confirm reports that the Chicago PD was letting bystanders deficate and urinate on Steve Bartman's front porch?
I think it's pretty likely that the CPD would let that happen, seeing as how he lives in Northbrook and they don't have jurisdiction there.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Well, as it turns out, my ex-wife works with the guy. Or should I say, worked with the guy.

He hasnt been seen in days, reports are his tires have been slashed, he cant go home, and he's a basket case.

Everyone has been told to to say anything about it if he does come back. The penalty: termination.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Chet said:
He hasnt been seen in days, reports are his tires have been slashed, he cant go home, and he's a basket case
-I heard he's frozen in a block of ice next to Jimmy Hoffa.