• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Why are some towns so dumb?

Jeff

Cyburbian
*Hypothetical Situation*

I'm working on the design for a development in this township and going through their ordinances I realize that they have no natural resource protection standards.

So now instead of building what they want. I'm going to build what I want and there is nothing they can do about it.

Why are some townships still using ordinances like this? And why hasn't the county planning commission picked up on this blatant flaw in the ordinance.

I would really rather someone tell me what kind of design they prefer to see rather than have to make it up as I go along.

Rant over....

Mike - are you talking about things like watercourse protection? Or site design guidelines?

I think some communities are just so desperate for development, they'll compromise, well, just about everything, to get it.

donk

Cyburbian
Try living and working in a province where anything is allowed to go any where, except within the first 30 metres of the watercourse, excluding tidal waters, and then it is allowed if a special permit is issued.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Well there are NO natural resource protection standards. However, waters and wetlands are protected by the feds.

Actually I'm looking at steep slopes and trees...which are going to be a parking lot now.