• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Why Cleveland Radio DJs are Going to Hell #1

donk

Cyburbian
My trick is to spray people's cars with gatorade or other food substitutes. They don't wash off too easily, they also make it easy to identify jerks when you tell the police.

I've done this to cars with open windows when they cut me off. The people inside are usually quite surprised .

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I think a gold old fashioned tire slashing at the radio station is appropriate.

I usually just try and gob a big wad of spit at offending morotists or the one-finger salute. I will have to try the gatorade trick.

I was with some skateboarders once and we had the right of way to cross a street. Some redneck in a big old SUV decides he is making a right turn anyhow, despite the fact that we were crossing. He almost ran over a friend of mine while yelling something at him out the window. My friend then showed him what an SUV looks like when a skateboard is hurled at it. Surprising thing is he never even stopped despite the damage to his vehicle.

BKM

Cyburbian
Amazing. Can we find WMDs in Cleveland and occupy the
place?

There's a certain mentality among the "Town Next Door" kind of folks (and my impression of Cleveland is that it ain't full of chablis-sippin' yuppies) that sees anyone not driving a raised wheelframe dualy-equipped monster truck as worthy of derision-and heaven forbid you slow them down on their way to the tittie bar in the unincorporated industrial strip outside of town. Too many are still in high school.

Out here, the biggest offendors tow gigantic boats at high rates of speed down winding county roads after already finishing off a six pack of "Bud."

What a horrible rant. I am hanging my head in shame.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
There was a story on the news today about a DJ that taped 100s of powerball lottery tickets to his naked body and stood in a boulevard "giving them away".

He got arrested for public nudity when there were 15 tickets left.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Several years ago I was hit by a car while on my bike. I was riding on the edge of the right lane when a woman came up beside me and made a right turn. Idiots. I hope Clear Channel is being flooded with e-mails. They and the FCC at least have one from me.

donk

Cyburbian
On being hit by a car.

If you are ever hit by a vehicle, stay on the ground, don't get up until teh cops or an ambulance come it will attract a crowd and there will be a higher chance of the person who hit you being charged, especially if they leave the scene. Bystanders and witnesses will also more likely stick around if they think you are hurt.

These suggestions come from commuting advocates i know.

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
What a**holes. I think DJs feel invincible since you can't see them. Not that I would want to see a bunch of obnoxious fat asses anyway. I always try to be extra considerate to cyclists and hate it when others aren't.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
The dj's an idiot - this isn't just his normal controversial talk about boobies, people could actually get killed. I think I might prefer the robotically happy top 40 dj's of old then the new "relate to the common @-hole" dj's now popular.

On the other hand, it always amazes me when people go on shows like this or Howard Stern actually thinking their going to have a serious discussion about somthing like bike safety or lactation.

martini

Cyburbian
I've liked picking up the cig butts they trhow out and throwing them back inot the car at the next stop light, telling them "You dropped something back there." Always gets real quizzical looks, and some verbal attacks

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
martini said:
I've liked picking up the cig butts they trhow out and throwing them back inot the car at the next stop light, telling them "You dropped something back there." Always gets real quizzical looks, and some verbal attacks
Love it!!!

People tossing cigarettes (not to mention litter) out car windows is one of my pet peeves. Last time I checked, all cars came with ashtrays installed.

el Guapo

Capitalist
I have been cycling more and more over the last six months. I have even started riding to work on the rare days I don't need my vehicle for work. I have since discovered the mullet owners are my enemy. These idiots truly have a "you get what you deserve" for biking on "their roadways".

Jeff

Cyburbian
I carry MACE with me at all times. I've never used it, but almost did this past weekend, in Cape May, NJ of all places!

While I've never met the motorist who had the balls to get out of the car when I confronted them for their aggressive driving, sooner or later its going to happen.

FYI, I sent an e-mail to the DJ pretending I was some hillbilly with a big truck. Told him that I took what he said to heart, and me and my cousin Skeeter were going out to run down some of them bike guys right now. I'll see if I get a reply ;)

Jeff

Cyburbian
July 10th 2003

Thank you for your e-mail message regarding recent Lanigan & Malone broadcasts on WMJI.

The Lanigan & Malone show has a strong following of listeners that enjoy our tongue-in-cheek approach to humor. Recently, some of our callers and on-air personalities discussed cyclists and road rules. During a lively discussion, comments were made which we felt were humorous in nature, and we think most of our regular listeners understood these comments in context. However, in retrospect, let us be perfectly clear. We do not advocate any harm to cyclists. It was not and is not our intent to provoke violence towards cyclists. In fact WMJI supports cycling events through sponsorships and promotions.

Many responses we have received appear to be from people who did not hear the program and who received an inaccurate account of what was said and the context of the show. We choose not to rebut any misrepresentations. Instead, we simply extend our apologies if you were offended.

Again, we truly regret offending anyone who misunderstood our satirical exchange with callers. Our intent is to offer a public forum for the cares and concerns of our listeners and to entertain through humor. Please feel free to write or phone me in the event I can be of service.

Best regards,

Dave Popovich
Program Director
WMJI/Majic 105.7
216-520-2600

el Guapo

Capitalist
Dear Dave Popovich,
Bull Shit. I hope some you you get canned over this. I'll bet you a transcript of the broadcast would prove you are a lying bastard,

Kind Regards,
EG

Jeff

Cyburbian
A follow Up

IDIOT ALERT - UPDATE
The following is an email from Lois Cowan - Co-owner, Century Cycles

Due to a flood of e-mails, phone calls and letters, Clear Channel
Communications and WMJI-Majic 105 in Cleveland have agreed to help
correct the wrongs that their broadcasts caused last week.

Negotiations are underway and Clear Channel has agreed to a number of
items revolving around:

- Running Public Service Announcements on all six of their stations in
the northern Ohio market.
- Donating a substantial amount of money toward local bicycling causes.
- Helping with programs and events such as Safe Routes to School and
public safety education.
- Supporting and promoting the America Bikes agenda with national and
local politicians.
- Public apologies from those DJs who offended all of us with their
anti-bicycling comments.

AS OF TODAY, FRIDAY JULY 11th, WE CAN STOP E-MAILING COMPLAINTS ABOUT
THEIR REPREHENSIBLE BROADCASTS.

Station management and the DJs understand that what they said was wrong.
They are in the process of making things right, but for them to focus
on turning things around we need to free up their computers.

Thank you for your quick response. It's great to see freedom of speech
used in a positive way.

Please forward this to anyone that you may have sent the original Call
to Action to so that the word gets out. If you are the administrator of
a webpage or see the original Call to Action still posted on a webpage,
please post this update as soon as possible.