• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Why Congress is going to hell #1

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
This guy should be recalled

Now lets not turn this into an NRA deabte, but post 9-11 this was totally insensitve, STOOOPID, and cause for alarm. If this guy is fit to be one of the elite LEADERS of the free world, why on earth would he simply "forget" he was carrying a loaded firearm to the AIRPORT??!! I would imagine that if he were black, had changed his name to Assif, and wore a robe he'd be it Gitmo right now.

EDIT: And his spokesman covers by saying "he hunts alot of things" with a 9mm Glock??? Oh C'mon El Guapo, even you don't beleive that do you??

Please, you don't, do you?

freewaytincan

Cyburbian
Going?

Oh yeah, and I doubt that they'd ship him off to Cuba for that, no matter who he is. Especially considering the crap I've been hearing about lately, the "let's not offend anyone" kind of scanning.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
[heh heh] NOT my Representative [/heh heh]

Unfortunately, in his home district, this will probably been seen as a case of "Well, it coulda happened to anyone. Why just last week I found my AR-15 under the front seat of my F-150. Hadn't seen it since deer season and guess I just kinda forgot about it..." 8-!

Seabishop

Cyburbian
I can just imagine him yelling "Don't you know who I am? I'm a CONGRESSMAN!!!" at airport security.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Thank-you Gedunker
for not pointing out which Congressional District a certain cyburbian lives in :-$

The loaded gun in an airport issue put aside;
More importantly why was he flying out of Louisville, KY
Not out of the commercial airport in his own district that is served by US Air ?

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I still cannot believe that any person who has access to a TV, newspaper, or common sense could ever "forget" that they have a gun in the bag. The fact that it is a congressman makes me think that this guy is really arrogant or too dumb to hold office.

I think they need stiffer penalties for people who are so stupid that they forget they have a gun or actually think they can bring a gun into an airport and not get in trouble. I would support mandatory 30 days in jail for this and a huge fine.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Unfortunatly, that is not the dumbest thing I have heard of a legislator doing.

otterpop

Cyburbian
I can't believe his excuse was "I forgot I had the gun." Makes me think that he is so used to "packing" that he can't remember when he isn't. Believe me, when I have a gun with me, I am very aware of it and so should he.

Another thing, the report says he had a Glock. You would think a Congressman would at least buy American. What is wrong with a good-old S&W? It is good enough for me and my father and his father!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Man did that pee me off when I read that :-@ !!!!
I just HATE that mentality that is pervasive in certain political circles....you know, it's Ok if one of "us" violates procedure or rules cuz we're the good guys - procedure is intended to address "them"....what do you mean which group is which? If you have to ask, you're obviously one of "them"
There is no doubt in my mind that if someone of middle eastern descent had "suffered a memory lapse" and walked into an airport with a loaded Glock he'd be dining in Gitmo the next 3 years without charges....

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Maister said:
Man did that pee me off when I read that :-@ !!!!
I just HATE that mentality that is pervasive in certain political circles.....
He was interviewed over the phone last night and stammered (and I mean quite literally stammered) about how, well, I didn't actually get into the secure area you know, the security stopped me before I got anywhere, I mean, I was in the lobby.

Congress ought to censure him.