• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Why did I get myself into this :)

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I am new to these boards, but I find them both helpful and entertaining. I am a Planner for an inner-ring Milwaukee suburb. I do all kinds of stuff including neighborhood plans, plan review, signs, architectural review, zoning complaints, and contemplate why I chose this profession.

In general I like the planning profession. It is just a conflict over my beliefs that the government should stay the heck out of peoples lives as much as necessary and my job, which basically is advocating the polar opposite.

In my free time I like to bike, ski (xc and downhill), play softball, listen to all kinds of music (punk, indie, britpop, etc), and travel.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
we all like the punishment

...and again, welcome to Cyburbia. As you can tell, we all come here to blow off steam, in addition to exchanging ideas.

from the link you posted about the church-home, I figured which burb you're at. Did you take over Mike's position when he left?
Just wondering.

I'm in the Milwaukee area too so I'm sure we'll bump into each other at a WAPA function or two...

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Its a long story...I worked here for 1.5 years...went to R/M...and came back when Mike left. I have met you at the R/M open house and in my days as an intern in the crazed world of New Berlin.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Yeah I knew I recognized the name, just didnt put a face to it until now...

Decay B

Hey -

I come back to this board once in a great while and check out who is saying hello.

Do you really think of your work as interfering with people's lives?

- decay b

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
I think some locations overly interfere. Some burbs have no real planning challenges other than to maintain a perceived middle class social status. I could not work for such a place.