• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Why don't transit authorities offer Mapquest-style directions?

passdoubt

Cyburbian
I know a lot of people are intimidated by navigating schedules and routes. Why not do the same for public transit that Mapquest did for driving directions? I wouldn't think it'd be too hard to implement. Imagine:

Enter a starting address:
2122 N. Broad
Philadelphia, PA

Enter a destination address:
103 Garrett Rd.
Upper Darby, PA

Directions:

1. Walk 4 blocks south to Cecil B Moore Orange Line Station, 0.2 miles
2. Take Orange Line Inbound to City Hall Station, 3 miles
3. Transfer to Blue Line toward 69th Street, 4 miles
4. Exit 69th Street Terminal and walk east on Market St. toward Garrett Rd, 0.3 miles
5. Turn left onto Garrett Rd. toward 103, 0.2 miles

etc...

Do any cities offer this? I've often thought that Mapquest should do pedestrian directions when figuring how to get from a restaurant to a nearby movie theater and being frustrated that Mapquest's directions will always tell you to take a limited-access expressway or abide by one-way streets.

It sounds like a valid idea but based upon my experience with Mapquest, it tends to give you the longer, less convenient, out-of-the-way directions. :-\

jresta

Cyburbian
passdoubt said:
Oh, well looks like I need to do my research more carefully... seems to be pretty widespread.

I think you're on to something if it's what you meant.

There should be a mapquest for people w/o cars. It should kick back several options ranked by price and time.

simulcra

jresta said:
I think you're on to something if it's what you meant.

There should be a mapquest for people w/o cars. It should kick back several options ranked by price and time.

Actually, I'd like to see actual foldable maps that show clearly where major forms of mass transit are located. Out of the many street maps of chicago i've seen, only one (rand mcnally) clearly indicate all mass transit stops as well as what "color" lines they belong to.

jresta

Cyburbian
ADC Maps here in the mid-atlantic does that. They put out county road maps with all of the rail routes and stops.

Of course http://www.streetwisemaps.com/StreetwiseMapsPage.html
has been making city maps for a while with most bus and rail info.

We also have the handy http://www.phillymap.com that i never leave without anymore. It's a road map with all of the bike/bus/train/trolley info from Trenton to Wilmington and Doylestown to Glassboro

jordanb

Cyburbian
Solipsa said:
Actually, I'd like to see actual foldable maps that show clearly where major forms of mass transit are located. Out of the many street maps of chicago i've seen, only one (rand mcnally) clearly indicate all mass transit stops as well as what "color" lines they belong to.

Something like this: ;-)