• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Why Facebook is bad

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I am seriously contemplating quitting Facebook for good. There are a variety of reasons for this but they tend to fall under two major headings: 1) potential negative impacts on personal life and 2) privacy issues.

Social media in general is deceptive because you would think it would be drawing people closer through easier contact, but that doesn't seem to be how it works. In fact, it seems to promote online interaction at the expense of real time interpersonal communication. Folks online are trying hard to project a positive image of what's going on with their lives, but end up feeling more isolated than ever when they're left with the impression that everyone else has got their shit together but you don't.

I also think Facebook wouldn't be a thing if more people knew and understood what the company does with their data. You are ostensibly using their service, but in reality it's you the user who is the product.

Planit

Cyburbian
My cousin has wanted me to join for years and I have repeatedly refused. With our public jobs, I don't need anyone poking around trying to find out something about me. Also I know if I commented on something, a few of our fine citizens would have trolled it.

LinkedIn is as far as I want on social media.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
I quit Facebook two weeks ago and am halfway through the 30-day period before they really truly start to delete your account.

For me, the utility has just gone way down in the last year- few friends post anything of substance anymore, and their lax attitude toward privacy and especially their role in foreign election interference finally tipped it for me.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I am certain that the dramatic increase in adolescent suicide from bullying, and school related violence (shootings, stabbings, etc.) are directly tied to social media, with Facebook being a primary cause. Kids used to be able to escape the constant bullying at home and get some sort of reprieve from it, but now it's always there.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
I am certain that the dramatic increase in adolescent suicide from bullying, and school related violence (shootings, stabbings, etc.) are directly tied to social media, with Facebook being a primary cause. Kids used to be able to escape the constant bullying at home and get some sort of reprieve from it, but now it's always there.

Agreed- I just talked with a panel of high school seniors about this- there's an "always on" element to teenage social interactions that just was not present when I was a kid. You'd go home from school, no phone, no email, no interaction between your peers really happening in the hours outside of school, at least not at the scale it does today. You had a sense that home life was as much or more your reality, where today these kids live in a reality largely shaped and created by their own peers. Several kids talked about the pressure just to keep up with "liking" each other's social media posts. That sounds awful.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I give it up for Lent and shut it down - unfortunately I have so many photos on there that it will take a while before I could leave completely. I do post more at Twitter than I do on Facebook.

my daughter left Facebook a few years back to keep away from a dangerous situation and she doesn't miss it at all

DVD

Cyburbian
I think I have a The Facebook account, but I never really use it.Like Faust said, no one really posts anything of interest and most of what I'm getting is the sister-in-law posting crap about what Obama did wrong or what Hillary did wrong. Even if it were timely I just don't care.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
My cousin has wanted me to join for years and I have repeatedly refused. With our public jobs, I don't need anyone poking around trying to find out something about me. Also I know if I commented on something, a few of our fine citizens would have trolled it.

LinkedIn is as far as I want on social media.
I'm on it for several reason. Have friends, and a very few classmates from HS and college and family that are scattered. I used use it for de facto PSAs. Finally, some of what is posted is funny or strikes a chord in me. I also firmly believe that in this day and age, privacy is an illusion.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Junior recently got punished for getting on mom's phone and disabling the parental controls. Consequently, he lost the use of the phone for several weeks. He accepted his punishment stoically, but now that the phone has been returned, I am noticing how it seems like he was more pleasant to be around when he didn't have access to the phone (which he used primarily for social media). This is true both qualitatively AND quantitatively. When he has the phone he gets home from school, scurries to his bedroom, shuts the door, disappears until dinner, scarfs his meal down quickly and vanishes up to his room again immediately afterwards. When he didn't have the phone he'd hang around downstairs and actually talk to us or watch tv together.

Now if we would just take his phone away permanently and affix an ankle monitor to him, life would be grand!:daydream:

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I have never had a FB account and I think I'm better off for it. From my observations the kids are on FB anyway, it's all about "let me get your Snap".

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I have never had a FB account and I think I'm better off for it. From my observations the kids are on FB anyway, it's all about "let me get your Snap".
I didn't mean to limit the discussion only to Facebook. Instagram, Facebook, Snapchat....whatever, are all manifestations of the same concept.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
I have a FB account mainly to entertain myself with other people's memes, funny photos, and the birthday reminders. I deleted the app off my phone (along with most social media apps/youtube, etc) so I can only use it at home. I do not have an Instagram nor Snapchat, and my twitter hasn't been used in so long I don't know if it's even still "active".

I stopped posting original content a while back, except for photos from trips (after I get back!) and the occasional sharing of an interesting event (wine tastings, craft fairs, etc).

I set my security settings so that you have to be connected to a friend in order to find me. I am planning to purge some friends soon - there are a few that have gone quiet themselves.

Overall, I'm keeping my account, but I've made a conscious effort to limit its effect on my life.

I have more LinkedIn connections than FB. And it will stay that way.

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
I have a relative who still takes those quizes about the color of their generosity... I don't think this person has ever heard of Cambridge Analytica!

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have one. I post a couple times a day, generally a news article or PSA or a funny ancedote but I don't spend a ton of time on it either. My family and friends are scattered across the globe so it's a central way to keep up.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I keep my FB account active mainly for watching other people, a couple very good professional related groups and posting nonsense, esoterica and non sequiturs.

And memes about Babu Frik, of course.

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
Anyone tried the new Wiki based social media site?

I am with you on FB. I keep it for work. I have unfollowed nearly everyone

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I have one and I enjoy it. However I have some personal rules about how I use it, which is mostly entertainment and to share photos of the kids so distant family can keep in touch.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
I agree that Facebook has its flaws. However, I find it useful for communicating with people through Messenger and in groups. It's especially a nice way to communicate with someone when you don't know them well enough to have their email or phone number, but you can verify they are likely who they say they are. And it helps to communicate with several people all at once (if you don't have all of their phone numbers for a group text). It also helps me know about events going on in town that I am sometimes interested in, or to create an event invitation of my own. I'm also part of a few topic-specific groups that I've learned a lot from (or are funny stress-relievers). So it's still worth it to me.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I agree that Facebook has its flaws. However, I find it useful for communicating with people through Messenger and in groups. It's especially a nice way to communicate with someone when you don't know them well enough to have their email or phone number, but you can verify they are likely who they say they are. And it helps to communicate with several people all at once (if you don't have all of their phone numbers for a group text). It also helps me know about events going on in town that I am sometimes interested in, or to create an event invitation of my own. I'm also part of a few topic-specific groups that I've learned a lot from (or are funny stress-relievers). So it's still worth it to me.
This frames the other half of the quandry. Can it be used to good purpose? Certainly. Is it used for good? By users; sometimes yes and sometimes no. By the company? No, they want to monetize you and your information. Preferably without your knowledge.

This is why I'm on the fence.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
This frames the other half of the quandry. Can it be used to good purpose? Certainly. Is it used for good? By users; sometimes yes and sometimes no. By the company? No, they want to monetize you and your information. Preferably without your knowledge.

This is why I'm on the fence.
And I'm fully aware that a lot of the things I find useful about Facebook, are things they've developed/fostered to keep users from quitting. I've tried (and sometimes use) other social media and messaging apps but sometimes FB is just easier. I'm complicit in my own destruction. :shrug:

Last edited:

kms

Cyburbian
My Facebook page is for my own enjoyment. If someone gets too nasty or opinionated, I stop interacting with them.

I love that I can stay in touch with distant friends and family.

Most of my coworkers and anyone else I encounter through work are blocked. My blocked list could be longer than my friends list.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
I think what kicked me over the edge is knowing there is this constant location tracking going on almost no matter what you try to do to turn it off on your phone, and that they even create "shadow profiles" for people who don't have accounts. Honestly it all went off the rails before the 2016 election and I've just been hanging on since then- when I really looked at who and what I was only connected to via FB, it was a very small list of people and groups.

Now of course, every time I open instagram on my phone, it starts up with that little "by Facebook" thing, which means that's the next one that's going to have to go. More of a bummer there since the content /fluff ratio is so much better in my experience.

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
I hate fb! I use it, mind you, but I hate it.

While it was once useful to keep up with family and friends from around the globe, I now use it more for marketplace than anything else. I like Salmissra's idea of deleting it from my phone though and only using it on the computer. I think that would help me to use my time wiser than just looking for stuff to clutter up my home.

Planit

Cyburbian
I was told again today that I should join Facebook & Instagram. I expressed my concerns to this person who replied, "just join, you don't have to post anything, but that's how I get all my info on stuff happening."

I will say that is a small compelling reason, but I'm still going to resist for now.

TOFB

Cyburbian
I look at FB multiple times a day, but rarely post anything. And don't tag me when I interact in your trite life. Nobody cares.