• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Why Flordia (& this country) need Dr. Kevorkian

Should euthanization be legal (here we go!!)?

• Yes, if I want to die then get out of my way!

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Sure if Dr. Kevorkian is presiding.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not sure about this.

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Keep 'em on the plug.

• No!! thats not the lord's way!!

• Let nature take its course, pull the plug already!

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • I can't die, I'm Immortal, now give my liver a beer!

Votes: 4 18.2%

• Total voters

The Irish One

Kill me, I need to make a will and clearly state that I want to die if I'm brain dead or mildly retarded and unable to feed myself or wipe myself. I worked with the DD population and I don't want to go there!

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
I'm going out Timothy Leary style, After my party and I realize I'm not dead, I'm driving off a cliff, Thelma & Louise style!

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I will NOT let that happen to me. Im getting a living will. Maybe tommorrow. Then again Im young maybe next year. DAMN. I just see this happening to me because of pointless procrastination. Either that or I'll ignore a growing third nut until the prognonsis is death, and then be all like DAMN.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
If 'living' in a vegetative or comatose state is called "living" I would prefer to die....

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Chet said:
I Either that or I'll ignore a growing third nut until the prognonsis is death, and then be all like DAMN.
-WTF, this reminds me of a movie where the guy grew a 3rd arm on his back. I can't remember the name of it though.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
I'm in the "Euthanasia is a Slippery Slope" camp. I don't trust people enough to make it any more legal. Living wills made by mentally competant individuals are one thing, but I wouldn't want to see self centered kids deciding that its time for Mom to go because she's outlived her usefullness and is now a burden. I also wouldn't want to see HMO's deciding that Grandma no longer warrants care.

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Seabishop said:
......I wouldn't want to see self centered kids deciding that its time for Mom to go because she's outlived her usefullness and is now a burden. I also wouldn't want to see HMO's deciding that Grandma no longer warrants care.
This is not a case of Monty Pythons "bring out your dead" skit from the Holly Grail

Were talking about a persistant vegetative state lasting many years. Yeah, I agree the decision would suck, COMPLETLY. But I would rather go than live that life.

plannerkat

Cyburbian
Chet said:
I will NOT let that happen to me. Im getting a living will. Maybe tommorrow. Then again Im young maybe next year. DAMN.
Keep in mind that this woman was in her late 20s when she had the heart attack that led to her coma. Being sure that all family members are aware of your wished is critical regardless of your age. Jeb is an embarrassment to the state of Florida, though that does seem to be a family trait. DOWN WITH THE BUSHES!!!

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Don't pull my plug. I want to linger as long as possible to inflict punishment on those I leave behind.

martini

Cyburbian
My wife have an agreement to NOT do this to eachother. If something like this happens to us, its pull the plug and burn baby burn. Then spread teh ashes on our chosen spots. Mine happens to be on a trail in Colorado. Hers is simply amonst oaks. This is just verbal for now, we really should get it in writing, but like Chet, we rock at procrastination. Who knows when it'll be done. Should do it before the mini-me is born though.

ludes98

Cyburbian
I'm with Chet on this one. I need a living will. I couldn't imagine burdening my family with something that horrible. Now if I can just find my attorney's number...oh hell I will call him tomorrow.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Pulling the plug would be better, since you can donate your organs without more wear and tear than when you got in a coma...

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Ive had to pull the plug on my mom its not an easy choice even WITH a living will (she had one)

but damn dont let me get ahold of Gov Bush's ear-hed get his head chewed off. Let the woman go already.

El Feo

Cyburbian
You may be surprised that I agree with the concept of "right-to-die." You will probably not be surprised that I don't think that's what this case is about at all. I agree with this e-mail from a liberal reader that I read at National Review online. It sums up my feelings on "right-to-die" in general and this case in particular pretty well (sorry for the length):

"I've been listening to the BBC and NPR today -- I confess, I'm basically a liberal but mostly I'm a political junkie and enjoy reading opinion from all over the spectrum.

In any case, what has struck me with the BBC and NPR is that there has been no mention, zilch, about the actual disputes in this case: the fact that there are some clear conflicts of interest surrounding Shaivo's husband, that the only evidence of her wishes regarding life support come from him, and that there is medical disagreement about Terri's condition and prospects, with her husband having virtually prevented examination by any but his own doctors and from attempting any rehabilitation. I've heard a bit of discussion about the debate about her status, but quite literally zero mention of the conflict of interest situation -- the "fiancee", the money at stake, multiple affidavits attesting to Shciavo talking about what he'll buy with the money, etc.

Overall, I'm in the "right to die" camp; I've voted for Oregon's assisted suicide law twice.

But in this case it seems that debate isn't over rights, but facts: what were Terri's wishes and what is her condition? It seems to me extremely dangerous to establish a precedent that the next of kin alone can not only make all decisions, supposedly based on a patient's wishes and their medical status, but, then also giving the next of kin sole right to announce what those wishes were and to determine how the patient's condition will be determined. Given the obvious conflicts of interest that can arise over inheritance, etc., such a system invites abuse.

While I usually think you conservatives are whining about "liberal bias", given how important the context is to understanding this case and given how easy that information is to find, I can't help suspecting that the fact that this case came to national attention due to lobbying by the religious right means that the "elite media" have automatically come down against it (even though the "money grubbing husband wants to kill wife" theme would normally have appeal)."