• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Why Florida is Going to Hell # ... oh, another in an infinite series

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
From the Melbourne Herald-Sun - and not the Melbourne in Florida.

US village bans Aussie flag
Anna C0ck, New York
07apr04

FOR more than 40 years, Louise Hogberg has proudly flown the Australian flag from a succession of homes in Italy, California and the US east coast.

But in the Florida community of Windermere, the 65-year-old former Sydneysider faces a legal battle to keep it flying.

In what Mrs Hogberg describes as a "very, very bizarre" form of discrimination, she has been refused permission to display the Australian flag.
Alternative title: Why HOAs are Going to Hell

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
The article says Windermere is north of Tampa. If this is the same Windermere I know, my brother lives there, it is part of Orlando. And yes, ZG is right.

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
Did Ms. C0ck give any indication as to the reason why in her article? Here, the Irish flag is a close second to the US Flag, beating out the state flag I am sure.

Rem

Cyburbian
I saw this story on a TV news service (it came on just before the pet story that seems to conclude every news bulletin now) and the President of the HOA, in an interview, said they didn't want the area to look like the United Nations.

Fair enough.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
bet ya nobody would complain if they flew a marine corp flag or would they ?
or
why do you see many more marine corp flags than the other services, if at all ?

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
It used to be that many of the FL invaders (sorry, invaders) simply hung the license plate from their previous home on their new mailbox. Most HOAs banned those, so they went to flags, which are now generally banned with the exception of a US flag mounted on the home (no flagpoles, of course!).

The license plate on the mailbox thing is still pretty common in trailer parks, though.