• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Why Florida is going to hell...

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
If Yankees weren't moving down here to run over people in farmers markets, we wouldn't need so many lawyers...

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Ok... this is the same state that had problems with Ballots, now they are all Lawyers? Is this a good idea?

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
I'm considering looking for work in Florida. What's the job market like down there and any objections to a left coast planner joining the ranks? Winters up here suck big time.

H

Cyburbian
I just forwarded this to my brother, who in is law school at FSU :(

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
RichmondJake said:
I'm considering looking for work in Florida. What's the job market like down there and any objections to a left coast planner joining the ranks? Winters up here suck big time.
The job market seems to be good. Just don't forget about hurricanes and alligators...

Try the FLA APA website for some listings. Sorry, don't have the address.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
RichmondJake said:
There's always a disproportionate amount of vacancies in Florida for current planning jobs, compared to most other states. Salaries seem to leave something to be desired, though; they're not insulting like those in Pennsylvania or Louisiana, but they're notthing to get excited about, either.

The state Department of Community Affairs (DCA) is deeply involved in local planning issues, for better or worse. Many rezoning, comp plan amendment and annexation proposals need state approval, and the process can be quite confusing.

green lizard

Dan said:
The state Department of Community Affairs (DCA) is deeply involved in local planning issues, for better or worse. Many rezoning, comp plan amendment and annexation proposals need state approval, and the process can be quite confusing.
You forgot about the impending death of the DCA.
Comprehensive planning as it lives in Florida
will change drastically. No more real oversight. No
real penalties for outdated EARs.

These and other great inovations are afoot.

H

Cyburbian
green lizard said:
You forgot about the impending death of the DCA.
Comprehensive planning as it lives in Florida
will change drastically. No more real oversight. No
real penalties for outdated EARs.

These and other great inovations are afoot.
Yes, DCA is being changed greatly, we will see what happens...

H

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
Depending on where you live. I am sure housing is much cheaper in Sanford than in Miami or Orlando.
True. I have friends in Ocala, and the real estate market is a fraction of South Florida.

But I have a brother in Orlando and another in Tally and they pay a pretty penny.