• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Why Ilinois is going to hell #2 - What is wrong with this picture?

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Here is the view from my hotel room this past week. Can anybody tell what the problem is? From a distance it does look very nice. Even up close, the architecture is good, the businesses are successful and the streets are clean - except for the trash. Out one night walking just 4-5 blocks to the nearest Starbucks, I had four bums ask me for money.

"Got any spare change?"

No. I am paying $225 a night to stay in a nice hotel. Dinner cost me $70 for french onion soup, steak, twice-baked potatoe, and wine. Now I am spending another $5 for coffee and a brownie. I am not about to give anything to a cigarette- and alchohol-smelling person who can't be bothered to work.

That said, from a distance, it is a great view.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Here's a shot I took at night. I didn't have a tripod, so it is a bit blurry. Still, you can see the effect of having the Wrigley Building lit up at night.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Looks like almost the identical view I had out my hotel room for the APA Conference last year! :)

3wrigleybldg-med.jpg

jordanb

Cyburbian
So why is it going to hell? Because of some bums? I don't think I quite understand this thread.

Nice pictures though. I intend to get a tripod soon so I can go get some night pictures of the city.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Michael Stumpf said:
Now I am spending another $5 for coffee and a brownie.
Mike, that's actually not bad for java and an underage hooker.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
jordanb said:
So why is it going to hell? Because of some bums? I don't think I quite understand this thread.
I couldn't have surmised your intellect any better myself. Do you wear a t-shirt that says "Im With Stupid" with the arrow pointing up?

Tourism brings millions of dollars a year to Chicago. But it wont continue at its current pace if people feel its 'dirty' or 'seedy'. Look at what happened to Florida tourism in the early 90's when news was rampant about tourists were being assaulted and sometimes killed. The again, you were what, five years old? Fact was, crime stats didnt really change, but media coverage and public perception did.

The ecomonic impact devastated many. It could happen to Chicago too.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
People wasting their lives (I won't say homeless, as many homeless are not so through their own fault) are not found only in Chicago. Many other places have done something to address the issue, however. In liberal Madison, the laws against aggressive panhandling are strictly enforced. Say 'no' and they back off.

Chet summed it up pretty well. Tourists won't like it. Either will employees working downtown, or people deciding where to live. Physically, I am not a small guy. They were an annoyance to me, and if they had tried anything, I would have quickly thrown them into the Chicago River. Other people might find their behaviour intimidating, and it will affect at least their perception, if not visitation to the city.