• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Why Iowa is AMSTERDAMNED to Hell #1

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Giff57 - Is that why you spend so much time "shopping"? ;)

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Iowa City/Coralville has always been a drug mecca. I wonder if any of the pot profits went into paying off the TIF for that monstrosity. Biggest mall in Iowa, until they get the new "regional Mall" built west of Des Moines.

el Guapo

Capitalist
"I would think if they’ve got six mature plants, that’s going to be more than just personal use," police Detective Bill Clarahan said.
I love how some non-toking police officers are able to determine that a certain number of plants are obviously "not for personal use." I remember some fellows back in college (not me) that planted-grew-harvested-and consumed more than six plants for personal use. It was a group project. Much was passed out to coeds, but none of it was sold to school kids like Nancy would have you believe. Yet some know-it-all cop is able to tell the local citizens that dope sellers are working in their town. Then his request for a fancy new light bar for his Caprice Classic -Pursuit Edition gets approved at the next town hall meeting.

I am not a user, but I do think we should decriminalize this drug and let the stoners alone to grow within limits, just like home brew.

I know, that was not very Republican of me. I guess the Libertarian jumps out now and then. icon11.gif

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
giff57 said:
Iowa City/Coralville has always been a drug mecca. I wonder if any of the pot profits went into paying off the TIF for that monstrosity. Biggest mall in Iowa, until they get the new "regional Mall" built west of Des Moines.
Giff, I used to live in Clive not far from Valley West Mall. So there is a new "regional mall" in the works? Is Valley West or Merle Hay Mall being demoloished?

BKM

Cyburbian
El Guapo: Do you want to be EXCOMMUNICATED? :) (Although it's usually the left that turns on its own, and I
actually think William F. Buckley would agree with you).

My favorite pot farm story is in Berkeley. There is this fantastic "village" of older apartment units near UC Berkeley built to look like a French medieval town. The landlord sent a notice to his tenants that all of the units would be getting individual electric meters, because SOMEONE was using too much electricity-and the tenants were to pay for these meters. It turns out that the landlord's son had created a pot farm in the basement common room of the complex. :)

Cardinal

Cyburbian
A local landlord told me astory of finding a closet set-up in one unit. To this person's credit, they regularly check up on their student tenants, and these ones were soon evicted.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
SlaveToTheGrind said:
Giff, I used to live in Clive not far from Valley West Mall. So there is a new "regional mall" in the works? Is Valley West or Merle Hay Mall being demoloished?
No, they are building a new huge one out in Dallas county. I am sure it will hurt both of those malls. The owners fought like crazy, but to no avail. They are TIFing all new infrastructure to serve it.

http://www.generalgrowth.com/malls/ndJordan_creek.htm

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
giff57 said:
No, they are building a new huge one out in Dallas county. I am sure it will hurt both of those malls. The owners fought like crazy, but to no avail. They are TIFing all new infrastructure to serve it.

http://www.generalgrowth.com/malls/ndJordan_creek.htm
That should bring some much need life to Adel, Van Meter, Waukee, etc. I guess WDM, Clive, and Urbandale are expanding west enough that the mall will be part of those areas.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
SlaveToTheGrind said:
That should bring some much need life to Adel, Van Meter, Waukee, etc. I guess WDM, Clive, and Urbandale are expanding west enough that the mall will be part of those areas.
It's sprawl hell out that way. You cannot tell where West Des Moines ends and Waukee begins. It will probably be reaching Van Meter soon. The cars going West on 235 are a sight to behold at rush hour these days. I can remember when there was virtually nothing West of I35, now the metro is 5-7 miles West of there.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
giff57 said:
It's sprawl hell out that way. You cannot tell where West Des Moines ends and Waukee begins. It will probably be reaching Van Meter soon. The cars going West on 235 are a sight to behold at rush hour these days. I can remember when there was virtually nothing West of I35, now the metro is 5-7 miles West of there.
I moved there in 1984 when the only west of 35 was farms. I can't belive how much Des Moines has grown. After I moved from DSM, a friend of mine sent me shirt that read on teh front "Is this Heaven?" and on the back it read "Drink enough, you'll forget it's Des Moines." There are some qualities that I miss about that area, though.