• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Why one Ball Stater is going to hell.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
There's worse. I read recently about a mother who shaved her daughter's head and convinced her she was dying of cancer, just to get sympathy and $$$.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
There's worse. I read recently about a mother who shaved her daughter's head and convinced her she was dying of cancer, just to get sympathy and $$$.

I think that happened in ohio.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Alma Mater

I wonder if it was fake testicular cancer at ol' Testicle Tech?

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Muncie's boring, but not that bad. Jeez. She should have just gone to the Heorot instead.

Note: The Heorot is a very cool bar with over 30 beers on tap and many, many more in bottles. It's a highlight of most Ball Stater's education.

Last edited:

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
Damn, that's bad! I guess giving blood and/or stripping aren't chic enough for college students to get cash these days. ;-)

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Plannerbabs said:
Note: The Heorot is a very cool bar with over 30 beers on tap and many, many more in bottles. It's a highlight of most Ball Stater's education.

Where is this Heorot of which you speak? It must be fairly new, because it wasn't there the last time I was in town, about '94 or thereabouts.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
The Heorot is downtown, opposite the shiny black glass bank building (can't remember name). It's been there a while, but perhaps not since 1994...

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Gedunker said:
Where is this Heorot of which you speak? It must be fairly new, because it wasn't there the last time I was in town, about '94 or thereabouts.

1996 (my second to last year at BSU) marked the opening of ther Heorot. I never really strayed that far though...I stuck with the Chug for the most part. ;)

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
The Chug is now (mostly) closed. It was open only intermittently while I was there. We all lived downtown, so the Heorot was w/in staggering distance.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
NHPlanner said:
I stuck with the Chug for the most part. ;)

Ah, the Chug. I wish I had the money now I spent in that joint then. I had the misfortune of being there one night when it was raided and ended up missing a night class when the liquor control folks barricaded us inside.

I take it Heorot is in the Village or is it downtown?

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Gedunker said:
Ah, the Chug. I wish I had the money now I spent in that joint then. I had the misfortune of being there one night when it was raided and ended up missing a night class when the liquor control folks barricaded us inside.

I take it Heorot is in the Village or is it downtown?

Downtown.

And I'll echo the sentiments about money spent at the Chug. Never barricaded in there though. :)

Bullwinkle

Cyburbian
NHPlanner said:
1996 (my second to last year at BSU) marked the opening of ther Heorot. I never really strayed that far though...I stuck with the Chug for the most part. ;)

Is that the place downtown with only candlelight and kind of a Norse-Viking decor? I graduated in 1993 and it was there then, if it's the same place. The place I'm thinking of opened in '91 or '92. I didn't go there much, though.

My hangout was Mugleys. That place was great, until it was sold and the new owner called it "Scotties". What a pansie name! Sorry, pansies. I spent a lot of time in Headliners, too. Another in the long list of storied bars in the Village that have closed.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Yep, that's the one. There's also a dragon coming out of the wall, but we always went for the beer. And because most of the places in the Village you mention had either Yupped out or closed by the time we got there.