• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Why Philly is Going to Hell #2

Jeff

Cyburbian
.....and why I'm now jumping on the "white flight" bandwagon within the next year or so.

Corrupt Mayor Re-Elected

No this isn't DC either.....it breaks my heart to do it, but I'm pretty sure we are now moving out of the city :( The city is just not going in the direction I want to see it go.

I'm really sad today.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
The Irish One said:
Ouch. How about Telford?
Dang you struck a raw nerve there. Old GF was from Souderton/Telford area. You'd a thunk after she left me in college I'd have learned, but no, I had to let her back into my heart (from a long distance, too) so she could rip it out and stomp on it a second time!

Don't go to Telford. Or Souderton. I'm thinking Blue Belle.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
I can't believe they're still talking about "Bush and the Republicans" in this election.

I can't believe a mayor would be so quick to shout "racism," adding racial tension to a city of over 1 million because the FBI is investigating his allegedly corrupt administration. Providence's former mayor's Whiteness didn't prevent him from being brought down by the FBI.

Most of all, I can't believe he won using those rediculous arguments.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Yours may be corrupt, mine are just drowning in ignorance.

H

Cyburbian
Show me a place where the local gov’t isn’t allegedly corrupt. Seriously. There might be a few, but I don’t know about them. Every one is scratching someone’s back, some just a little more than others, and who loses, … the citizens. It is a shame. :(

There needs to be more interest, press, and openness in local govt. The power of the watching public eyes is the only way to end corruption. Unfortunately, most people would rather watch Joe Trillionaire than a local gov’t news report.

Jeff

Cyburbian
The Irish One said:
Ouch. How about Telford?
Too many hills.

We're looking somewhere basically across the street from Philly. All the amenities, none of the taxes or problems.

I really believe the city got the mayor it deserves. Incompetent, corrupt, ignorant, and happy with the status quo.

jordanb

Cyburbian
Just because he's corrupt dosen't mean he's a bad mayor. We've had a long history of corrupt but good mayors (including the Royal Family) yet by far our least corrupt mayor, Harold Washington, wasn't very good.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Seabishop said:
I can't believe a mayor would be so quick to shout "racism," adding racial tension to a city of over 1 million because the FBI is investigating his allegedly corrupt administration. Providence's former mayor's Whiteness didn't prevent him from being brought down by the FBI.

Most of all, I can't believe he won using those rediculous arguments.
Thats what happens when life long politicians do when their job is on the cutting block. We just ousted the Common Council President Pitts from becoming comptroller. After the council downsizing was approved and his job was cut begining 2004, he screamed the race card and said people should rise and take to the streets (ok lets start a riot you idiot). So thankfully he didn't get elected to comptroller. To top it off his wife is white and he goes on the record saying this city is the most racist in the country. Hey people are just sick of the politicians who get nothing done, thats why you lost your job buddy.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Chet said:
Yours may be corrupt, mine are just drowning in ignorance.
Ditto's, Chet.

Poor leadership seems to afflict many communities in our area.

Jordan - I'll disagree with you on your assessment of Chicago mayors. Yes, they all tend to be surrounded by corruption, if not corrupt themselves. However, the Daleys are largely regarded as being clean, personally. The first one simply turned a blind eye to the corruption around him. The second operates in an environment that is much cleaner than city halls of hte past. Harold Washington was one of the more corrupt mayors Chicago has had.