• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Why Rhode Island (or at least this guy) is Going to Hell

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Reading the article requieres registration so I've shortened it here.

Crossing guard hit by irate driver in Pawtucket

06/06/2003
BY JOHN CASTELLUCCI
Journal Staff Writer

PAWTUCKET --
A man angered when a school crossing guard stopped to receive thank-you hugs from two elderly women she was helping across the street upbraided her for blocking his way, then drove into her with his pickup truck, the police said.
George A. Nunes, 42, of 659 Hope St., Providence, was ordered held in lieu of $25,000 bail after being charged with assault with a dangerous weapon -- the pickup truck -- and driving while his license was suspended.

Betty Ann Brown, who was knocked to the ground, was taken by ambulance to Miriam Hospital, where she was treated for injuries the police described as serious but not life-threatening, and released.

"It's just a reckless and cowardly act," Mayor James E. Doyle said of the alleged assault. "To do something such as that speaks volumes about what is going on out there. He went right into her."

Capela said he couldn't understand how Nunes could drive into someone just because she had accepted a couple of hugs. "How can you be in that much of a hurry?"

The Rev. Kevin Lynch, pastor of St. Edward's, said the elderly women Brown was helping to cross were among a group of six parishioners, most of them in their 80s, who regularly attend 7:30 a.m. Mass.

The parishioners often stop to give Brown hugs. When that happened after Mass ended around 8 a.m. yesterday, the police said, Nunes jumped out of his pickup truck, came up close to Brown, wagged a finger in her face, criticized her for accepting hugs while standing in the crosswalk and demanded her name.

" 'I'll have your job,' " Nunes said, according to Detective Kevin P. Shea, who is investigating the incident with Officer Jeff Cook of the Patrol Division.

According to Shea, Nunes showed no remorse when he was questioned later at police headquarters. "His quote was, 'If she wants to be a social activist and hug people, she should do it on the sidewalk.' "

Detective Sgt. Bob Tomlinson said Nunes tried to make light of what happened. "He was kind of laughing about it. He said, 'She walked into my truck.' "

Seabishop

Cyburbian
I read in another paper that one of the officers who showed up at the scene was the crossing guard's SON . He should win an award for professionalism for not beating the driver to death.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
What an idiot!

Yeah, I'll admit that there are times when a pedestrian will do something annoying when I am in a hurry and I think to myself "I should just run their ass over." But like most people I have the mental capacity to not act on those thoughts.

The one thing that annoys me the most is when someone tries crossing in front of your car at somewhere other than an intersection or cross walk and they make it look like they are going to run or jog across the street to get out of your way ASAP. Then you stop to let them cross and they slow down to a snail's pace.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I'll be honest, if I saw someone, especially a crossing guard, hugging someone in the street, blocking traffic, I would probably get a little angry myself.

It is not their job to hug people. I don't hug people when they bring in a complete application with all of the required plan submittals.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
I'm with Repo Man...do your job then get the hell out of the way.

pete-rock

Cyburbian
C'mon...

Everyone's right to get angry about a crossing guard hugging two old ladies in the street.

But can't people control their anger? Cursing the crossing guard to yourself is one thing. Plowing her over is another.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
pedestrian revenge

then......

Next time I a car is blocking my sidewalk path I will set it on fire or something. Seems fair. Especially if it this guy's pickup

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Re: pedestrian revenge

mendelman said:
then......

Next time I a car is blocking my sidewalk path I will set it on fire or something. Seems fair. Especially if it this guy's pickup
I agree it goes both ways. When I am biking or walking, I curse cars and the stupid things that drivers do and when I am in a car I curse bicyclists and pedestrians that do stupid things.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Re: C'mon...

pete-rock said:
Cursing the crossing guard to yourself is one thing. Plowing her over is another.
That reminds me of the time Prudence plowed a waitress at The Chancery, but that's totally different.

Re: C'mon...

pete-rock said:
Everyone's right to get angry about a crossing guard hugging two old ladies in the street.

But can't people control their anger? Cursing the crossing guard to yourself is one thing. Plowing her over is another.
I agree Pete. People need to calm their S*** down. No need to get so angry - and I can not understand why people are in such a hurry. Leave two damn minutes earlier.

Prudence - Keep your eyes open for the Folk's Greatest Hits cd I'm sending you in the mail. 80 minutes of Peter Paul and Mary and Kingston Trio should calm you right down. Or give you an anuerism. :)

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Was this a prolonged hug, or just a momentary hug? Ten seconds or two minutes? That makes a difference on whether or not it was appropriate to occur in the crosswalk.

Still, that in no way excuses 1) a person driving with a suspended license, 2) deliberately driving his truck into a person. This is a person who has had repeated driving offenses (suspened license), and has chosen to violate a court order not to drive. He has been given a chance (many, likely) and has not reformed. Send him to jail.

prudence

Cyburbian
Re: Re: C'mon...

Downtown said:
IPeople need to calm their S*** down. No need to get so angry - and I can not understand why people are in such a hurry. Leave two damn minutes earlier.

Prudence - Keep your eyes open for the Folk's Greatest Hits cd I'm sending you in the mail. 80 minutes of Peter Paul and Mary and Kingston Trio should calm you right down. Or give you an anuerism. :)
I just get fed up with people who are unaware of their surroundings...be it drivers, pedestrians, old people, moms with strollers, whatever. Why do I have tolerate the stupidity / ignorance of others? Now, I don't advocate violence or criminal activity, but I will certainly point out the shortcomings of others.

Remember the Golder Rule?!? I live by it. I don't expect anything from anyone that I don't expect of myself.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Too easy... can.. not.. resist... cheap...shot...

prudence said:
Remember the Golder Rule?!? I live by it.
Oh so that's why you hump everything that moves. ;)

donk

Cyburbian
I live by it. I don't expect anything from anyone that I don't expect of myself.
I'm sure chet will have some sexual innuendos for this one.

was not quick enough

Wm.J.Lufred

It is not their job to hug people. I don't hug people when they bring in a complete application with all of the required plan submittals.
Community crossing, like community policing is all about building relationships with those you're being paid to serve.
It's not my doctor's job to warm his hand before checking for signs of testicular cancer (a serious risk by the wat to men under 40) but I really appreciate it when he does.
On the other hand I do hate when people putz across the street when you let them cross.
On the other other hand living in a urban area I'm a big believer in the addage "pedestrians always have the right of way". Besides, have you ever been to Pawtucket? There is nowhere that I would be in that big a hurry to get to--maybe he was trying to get out.

donk

Cyburbian
Maybe the crossing guard was a registered sex offender(elderlyphile) and the driver was just metering out some local justice.

Queen B

Cyburbian
I think this world could use a LOT more civility and patience. Perhaps those people, were following their example of the golden rule. Hugs are a good thing!!! Perhaps those of you so upset about slow pedestrians and hugs need to get a few of those hugs and walk a bit, slow down and enjoy life a bit more.

I always try to greet people as I meet them in the hall or on the street because you just never know when that other person really needs that little human contact.

Life isn't about how fast you get there, but what you do along the way.

prudence

Cyburbian
Queen B said:
Life isn't about how fast you get there, but what you do along the way.
Couldn't help but notice that you said nothing about knowing where you're going...

Queen B

Cyburbian
Prudence,
Have I done something offend you personally?
I thought that people posting on this site had a right to their opinion.
I don't need to know where I am going in this life as long as I enjoy it as much as I can along the way. And this has become an unenjoyable post.

Queen B - I agree about people needing to slow down and appreciate each other more, but you need to ignore prudence. We need to remember when dealing with him, that as much as we love him, he can bring new meaning to misanthrope. unless of course the person has perky t's and a tight a. :)

prudence

Cyburbian
Queen B said:
Prudence,
Have I done something offend you personally?
I thought that people posting on this site had a right to their opinion.
I don't need to know where I am going in this life as long as I enjoy it as much as I can along the way. And this has become an unenjoyable post.
Great...more diveristy training on thehorizon. Now if the judge will place me in a home to help me acclimate...

Though, at what point was it an enjoyable thread. Some moron ran over people in a crosswalk...I don't find that enjoyable. I thought the thread was about the idiocy in the world...

My posts had one point throughout the thread...rage is typically the result of some people thinking only of themselves...cause and effect. Hugs in a roadway were the cause of the rage. Being struck by a vehicle was the resulting effect.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
hmm it seems that the guy was in Carmageddon mode :p

Now that's a complete moron... running over sone crossing guard, just because you're late sure denotes poor impulse and emotional control...

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
prudence said:

My posts had one point throughout the thread...rage is typically the result of some people thinking only of themselves
So is that why your posts sound so angry today...you're only thinking of yourself?

BKM

Cyburbian
I mean, come on, a brief hug in the crosswalk. What a horrible, awful thing to do. What a level of inconvenience. That little neighbor's kid BETTER NOT LET HIS BALL ROLL INTO THE STREET, BECAUSE WHO KNOWS WHAT I MIGHT DO TO PROTEST THE AWFUL INCONVENIENCE CAUSED BY THIS MORONIC KID! I mean, I gotta get to my bar on time, don't yah know?

What kind of tight-assed moron is so overcome with rage.

And, rage is one thing. Rage behind the wheel of a 3,000 pound weapon (which is what a car can be) is another.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Tranplanner said:
So is that why your posts sound so angry today...
HIs new friend Slash sez, "You can take prudence out of the back stage party, but you can't take the back stage party out of prudence..."

prudence

Cyburbian
Society has lost direction becuase it has removed personal accountability from eveery situation. Everything in the world is ALWAYS somebody else's fault...

Little Johnny isn't learning...it must be the teacher's fault.
Old woman spills coffee on her lap...it's McDonald's fault because it's too hot.
People are fat...must be the fault of fast food restaraunts for serving it.

And people think that hugs and whatever are the solution. No!!! Be accountable for your actions. Be accountable to yourself and to others. This world has zero integrity. Stop looking at government and others to solve your problems, or as the cause of your lot in life...look at yourself. Self-reliance does not exist any longer...and I am sick of the happy-clappy people out there who think singing kumbaya is the answer.

Prudence hon, no one is saying that hugs are going to save the world. We're just saying this guy is a raging a$$hole, literally for getting *so* upset about a crosswalk monitor taking a couple extra seconds to hug a pair of little old ladies.

The Irish One

couldn't you just see it.

What the f*ck now they're having a f*cking love fest in the middle of the f*cking street ........... I'll show that f*cking wh*re.

I am constantly cussing at stupid people on the road. I admit I have road rage and I love it. Of course I'm a better driver than anybody.

This guy needs to spend 5 years in ultra hell sensitivity anger managment auto safety classes and seminars. If he has done anything like this in the past, JAIL for a long time.

prudence

Cyburbian
Yes, hitting them is VERY extreme...but nobody has chastised the seniors for stopping in the MIDDLE of the street and aggrevating others by thinking only of themselves.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
This guy is an a-hole and a criminal and he should be punished. He ran over the crossing guard when a simple honk would have given her the message to stop the love fest and get out of the way. There is no justification for what he did and he has shown no remorse whatsoever, which makes him an even bigger a-hole.

While I agree with Prudence on the overall lack of personal responsibility and accountability in society today I don't agree that this lady is in any way responsibe for what happened.

SGB

Cyburbian
prudence said:
Yes, hitting them is VERY extreme...but nobody has chastised the seniors for stopping in the MIDDLE of the street and aggrevating others by thinking only of themselves.
That just might be because the senior was the one that got hit.

The Irish One

I wonder how long it took to hug the 80 year old ladies. In defense of the elders irresponsibility. 80 year old people can often have tunnel vision, bad hearing and general awareness is often shody at best. Stupidity is not my defense of the ladies, it's natural handicap. I know if I see an old lady crossing the street I'm going to have to wait a while and I'm going to have to watch out for anything that can happen, anything.

This guy had a suspended driver's license -I say screw this guy throw him in the slammer and then make him a crosswalker.

nerudite

Cyburbian
I learned how to drive in L.A. ...

and I learned how to vent my anger while in traffic. What a lot of people perceive as "road rage"... getting highly ticked off on a temporary basis, cursing, raising your voice, various hand gestures... it's called venting. There were so many traffic problems in L.A. that I started just cursing under my breath or sometimes shrugging a la WTF???! gestures (two hands in the air looking like someone just scored a field goal)... it got the frustration to the surface and then I felt better.

If I were in this guy's situation and I were in a bad mood and in a hurry, I may have been really pissed too. But as said earlier, the difference is between being angry and cursing to yourself rather than flying into a rage and knowingly hurting some other individual who is unprepared. It's wrong (duh!). He's now going to go jail and will be (hopefully)accountable.

Like Planderella said... "what an a$$hole"!

The Irish One

I think prudence brings up a great point, that whole -it's not my fault attitude. You know this guy is thinking -If they wouldn't have hugged I wouldn't have had a violent tantrum. People are always willing to throw the cause of their behavior at situations and people that surround them. I see this all of the time, it is a real destructive trend in my part of the world, atleast.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Re: Re: Re: C'mon...

prudence said:
I just get fed up with people who are unaware of their surroundings...be it drivers, pedestrians, old people, moms with strollers, whatever. Why do I have tolerate the stupidity / ignorance of others? Now, I don't advocate violence or criminal activity, but I will certainly point out the shortcomings of others.

Remember the Golder Rule?!? I live by it. I don't expect anything from anyone that I don't expect of myself.
Prudence... I totally agree with this (in a less in your face kind of way... but I'm a liberal ;) ). People do need to be accountable. If this guy was cruising along on a blind corner, didn't see the crossing guard and accidentally hit the crossing guard, I probably would have said that she got it for not getting off the street and doing her job. But I don't think in the controlled situation where he was at a stop, that anyone would expect (in a do as I do kind of way) that someone is going to barrel into her. So that's where I derive (in my mind) that this guy was wrong and deserves to be locked away.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
The Irish one said:
I think prudence brings up a great point, that whole -it's not my fault attitude. You know this guy is thinking -If they wouldn't have hugged I wouldn't have had a violent tantrum. People are always willing to throw the cause of their behavior at situations and people that surround them. I see this all of the time, it is a real destructive trend in my part of the world, atleast.
Excellent point Irish - perhaps it's the perp and not the victim that is relying on the "not my fault" routine here...

pete-rock

Cyburbian
prudence said:
OK, the seniors and the crossing guard are at fault for blocking traffic. They were thinking only of themselves.

Wasn't this a$$hole driver thinking only for himself? Pissed off to the point he felt he had to take matters in his own hands?

Maybe he was thinking on behalf of all drivers in Rhode Island and everywhere by saying, "I'm mad as hell and I'm not gonna take it anymore!!!"

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I agree with Prudence when he says people do not take responsibility for their actions, and I agree to that many idiots never seem to realize what is going on around them. I think his anger is misplaced, though when he faults the crossing guard for causing the situation. Here's a few thoughts:

1. We do not know how long a delay it was - a few seconds or a few minutes?

2. The old ladies stopped to hug the crossing guard, she did not stop them for a hug. Should we blame the old ladies instead?

3. The law is clear - a) do not drive with a suspended license, b) wait for the pedestrians and the crossing guard to clear the road before proceeding, and c) do not deliberately drive your car into somebody.

Being polite or kind is not a crime. I pass through a school district every day on my way to work. I sometimes have to stop and wait as the crossing guard helps kids across. I have seen her smile and exchange words with them. Sometimes I wave to the crossing guard and she waves back. Does that "deriliction of duty" in not immediately getting out of the street give me the right to run her down? Probably not.

pete-rock

Cyburbian
Michael Stumpf said:
I agree with Prudence when he says people do not take responsibility for their actions, and I agree to that many idiots never seem to realize what is going on around them. I think his anger is misplaced, though when he faults the crossing guard for causing the situation.
Absolutely, Michael.