• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Why she is going to hell

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Usually it is the other way around. Click here.

Below are her two booking photos for each jurisdiction of the violation.

Last edited:

otterpop

Cyburbian
When I was a teenager, the teachers wanted to have sex with me too. But then I did go to a school run by the Christian Brothers! :-#

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
A 23-year-old middle-school teacher was charged with having sex with a 14-year-old...in a vehicle while the teen's 15-year-old cousin drove.
I'm surprised that the 15-year-old cousin didn't wreck the vehicle. ;-)

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Now, if you were a hormone-filled 14 year old guy ... would you hit that?

opps sorry Dan, I hit the wrong button

Last edited by a moderator:

michaelskis

Cyburbian
giff57 said:
I'd still hit it ;-)

None of my teachers looked like that. Who is pressing charges... because you know it is not the 14 year old kid, and if it is, what is he thinking?

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
As found on the AP Wire, June 30, 2004:

Study: Sex Abuse Prevalent in Schools
By BEN FELLER; AP Education Writer

WASHINGTON -- More than 4.5 million children are forced to endure sexual misconduct by school employees, from inappropriate comments to physical abuse, according to an exhaustive review of research that reads like a parent's worst nightmare.

The best estimate is that almost one in 10 children, sometime between kindergarten and 12th grade, are targets of behavior ranging from unprofessional to criminal, says the report for Congress by Charol Shakeshaft, a professor at Hofstra University's School of Education.

"Most people just don't think this can really happen," said Shakeshaft, hired by the Education Department to study the prevalence of sexual abuse in schools. "We imagine that all teachers are like most teachers, in that they've gone into teaching to help children. Most do, but not all. We need to acknowledge that's the case and do something to stop it."

The report, required under the No Child Left Behind law and delivered to Congress on Wednesday, is the first to analyze the field of research about sexual misconduct at school.

Some educators immediately took issue with its approach, mainly the combining of sexual abuse with other behavior, such as gestures or notes, into one broad misconduct category.

But another prominent researcher supported the findings, suggesting, as Shakeshaft did, that they may even understate the problem. And the American Association of University Women, whose surveys of students were at the core of the new report, stood by its research.

There have been no nationally financed data collections of how common sexual misconduct is in school, one of many areas Shakeshaft suggests must be addressed. Her analysis covered almost 900 documents and reviews that have dealt with the topic in some way, from private research and newspaper stories to reports for government agencies.

The most accurate estimate of misconduct came from surveys in 2000 of students in grades eight to 11, Shakeshaft said. That research, commissioned by the AAUW Educational Foundation, found nearly 9.6 percent of students had been sexually harassed or abused by workers during their school lives. Shakeshaft reanalyzed the data and said it could be applied fairly to the broader school population, meaning more than 4.5 million students are affected.

What she described portrays a problem that, no matter how uncommon, united groups of teachers, superintendents, parents and education leaders in concern -- and disgust.

The report describes schools as places where abusers come to prey, targeting vulnerable and marginal students who are afraid to complain or unlikely to be believed if they did. It describes adults who trap, lie and isolate children, making them subject to unwanted behavior in hallways, offices, buses or even right in front of other students in class. And the offenders work hard to keep kids from telling, threatening to fail or humiliate them.

Misconduct is defined in the report as physical, verbal or visual behavior, from sexually related jokes or pictures of sex to fondling of breasts and forced sex. Shakeshaft did not limit her review to sexual abuse because, she says, that would exclude other unacceptable adult behaviors that can drive kids from school and harm them for years.

Yet spokesman Michael Pons of the National Education Association, a union of 2.7 million education workers, said: "Lumping harassment together with serious sexual misconduct does more harm than good by creating unjustified alarm and undermining confidence in public schools. Statistically, public schools remain one of the safest places for children to be."

The NEA, he added, takes any sexually inappropriate behavior seriously, training teachers and working with the Education Department on rules banning harassment in schools.

The other large teachers union, the American Federation of Teachers, also found fault with the report's description of misconduct, and Eugene Hickok, the deputy education secretary, said the findings were so broad they may be viewed as "insufficiently focused." But those officials, too, did nothing to downplay the importance of the problem.

"Clearly, sexual predators have no place in public schools," said John Mitchell, deputy director of educational issues at the AFT. "We support background checks, and when someone has gotten through, they need to be removed. And other inappropriate behaviors must be attended to, also, we just really need to have an effort to separate the two."

The report found teachers are the most common offenders, followed by coaches, substitute teachers, bus drivers and teacher aides. Among students, 56 percent of those targeted are girls, and 44 percent are boys, a smaller gap than commonly expected, Shakeshaft said.

Robert Shoop, a Kansas State University professor of education law and expert on sexual exploitation in schools, said the estimate of one in 10 children affected is not high. The actual number may be larger, he said, because of historical underreporting of the problem.

On the Net:
Educator Sexual Misconduct report:
http://www.ed.gov/rschstat/research/pubs/misconductreview/index.html

nerudite

Cyburbian
michaelskis said:
None of my teachers looked like that. Who is pressing charges... because you know it is not the 14 year old kid, and if it is, what is he thinking?
That was pretty much what Jimmy Kimmel said last night too. :-D

SlaveToTheGrind said:
Usually it is the other way around.
I am not sure what you mean by that. If you mean "usually, it is some grown man taking advantage of some young girl"... I don't know that it is true. I think that when it is a grown man and teenaged girl, it is more villified. A teenaged boy and grown woman is a situation more likely to be interpretted as a "studly" accomplishment on his part. It is generally assumed that the male is the agressor (the person who "asks" or pursues the relationship), regardless of age.

I also think men who are abused are less likely to talk about it when they get older. I don't think we can assume we have good data on which to base a meaningful comparison.

And if you meant something else, please enlighten me. :)

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Michele Zone said:
I am not sure what you mean by that. If you mean "usually, it is some grown man taking advantage of some young girl"... I don't know that it is true.
Yes, that is what I meant. I think it is fair to say more male teachers than female teachers are the ones who commit this type of crime. Look at the statistics for sexual abuse in general. Men commit this much more often than women.

SlaveToTheGrind said:
Yes, that is what I meant. I think it is fair to say more male teachers than female teachers are the ones who commit this type of crime. Look at the statistics for sexual abuse in general. Men commit this much more often than women.
Or they get caught much more often. Most likely, it is some of both.

But statistics can only show what gets uncovered. Men are less likely to admit to being the victim. Women can admit it and get sympathy. Men are seen as emasculated. To be male is to be powerful. To be female is to be caring. Being the victim does not slander one's ability to care. It does slander one's ability to be powerful. So I think that men who have suffered this are much less likely to speak of it. A woman who has suffered it can cry on someone's shoulder and there is no shame. Men who admit to such a thing may be a laughing stock.

However, men who were abused when they were boys are fairly likely to have been abused by a man. I can't think of any examples of women who were molested by women. And there are other statistics that support the idea that men are far more likely to do something like this than women are. But I think you will see more parity in such things as women become more 'liberated' and empowered. I am not sure I can explain my position on that right this moment. So I will leave at that.

cololi

Cyburbian
My experience from high school was that the young female teachers were much more flirtatious with the teenage boys. I was an aide for one of them my senior year, and she definetly let it be known to me that she was available. I've seen her at a few bars and parties around town since. The rumors were that she slept with several students. I asked her about it a few years later when I ran into her at a club, and she told me that she never did when they were students, but admitted to hooking up with former students (I spit my drink out at that point).

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
Anyone else read that the event took place in an SUV? Why am I not suprised. Maybe all those toxic fumes (5 X more than allowed for cars) messed up her brain.

Budgie

Cyburbian
When we were in Junior High, I witnessed a buddy of mine scam my little brother's math teachers yam. My buddy was 15 and it was a highlight of his young life to get it on with a woman of 28 years old. I wouldn't say he was abused. For him it was just the best piece he'd had up until that point. She also bought the beer, so that was pretty cool.

Dan said:
Let me repost:

1) Michelle stole my thoughts! I mentioned the double standard in the post, before it was accidentally edited. Word.

2) Imagine you were a 14 year old boy.

http://www.mjmorningshow.com/timages/page/DebraMMMagazineMJ1.jpg

Yes ... that's the teacher in question.

http://mjmorningshow.com/timages/photo/WFLZ-FM_25431_2.jpg

Could be an Abercrombie and Fitch ad.
1) I did not steal anything. They are my original thoughts. :-D
2) Your links do not work for me. |-)

Budgie said:
When we were in Junior High, I witnessed a buddy of mine scam my little brother's math teachers yam. My buddy was 15 and it was a highlight of his young life to get it on with a woman of 28 years old. I wouldn't say he was abused. For him it was just the best piece he'd had up until that point. She also bought the beer, so that was pretty cool.
When I was 14, I had a 21 year old boyfriend. My parents forbade us from continuing to see each other and threatened to throw him in jail if he ever showed up again. I had the highest SAT scores in my graduating class. Few high school boys could even hold a meaningful conversation with me. The guy was a senior in college. He was NOT victimizing me. But it WAS villified.

And I have spoken to men who were abused as kids. I know of one man who was sexually abused by two older women. People who have known him ...er..intimately... for many years do not know. He won't tell them.

There is gender bias in how such things are viewed and there is reporting bias because of it.

But I have said before: sexual morality is a very complex topic. It is one I have thought on deeply for many years. I do not think you can always use "age" per se as the criteria for whether someone was abused or not. Certainly, with a large age difference, there is much potential for subtle manipulation to occur. (And children below a certain age are not capable of fending off someone's expression of interest. The inability to say 'no' means that 'yes' is meaningless: no real consent can occur.) But equally certainly, many relationship with a large age difference are initiated by the younger party. In the last year or so, I have had guys as young as 19 hit on me. (I have no idea what is up with that. If anyone can explain it, I would love to hear it.)

Last edited:

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Dan said:
Let me repost:
Imagine you were a 14 year old boy.

http://www.mjmorningshow.com/timages/page/DebraMMMagazineMJ1.jpg

Yes ... that's the teacher in question.

http://mjmorningshow.com/timages/photo/WFLZ-FM_25431_2.jpg

Could be an Abercrombie and Fitch ad.
Links did not work - I got

You are not authorized to view this page
You might not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials you supplied.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you believe you should be able to view this directory or page, please try to contact the Web site by using any e-mail address or phone number that may be listed on the www.mjmorningshow.com home page.

The link in warning message worked
but
then got only the little box with a x

Last edited:

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Dan said:
Let me repost:

1) Michelle stole my thoughts! I mentioned the double standard in the post, before it was accidentally edited. Word.

:-$ .................................................

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Budgie said:
When we were in Junior High, I witnessed a buddy of mine scam my little brother's math teachers yam. My buddy was 15 and it was a highlight of his young life to get it on with a woman of 28 years old.
Scammed the yam happened at BOCES during high school with the graphic design teacher.

Hmmmm, her hair pulled back looks much better...........

;)

Habanero

Cyburbian
ludes98 said:
If you go to http://www.mjmorningshow.com scroll down and you can see alot of photos. She is an attractive young lady. If I were in high school and she responded to my advances, game on!
anattracitve young woman that should be celebrating her frist year of marriage this year.. 8-!

ludes98

Cyburbian
Habanero said:
anattracitve young woman that should be celebrating her frist year of marriage this year.. 8-!
No doubt! Fidelity must not be her forte. ;-)

Seabishop

Cyburbian
I don't think she should be let off the hook because she's attractive and therefore doing teenage boys a favor by sleeping with them. If she were ugly everyone would be calling for her to rot in jail.

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
Seabishop said:
I don't think she should be let off the hook because she's attractive and therefore doing teenage boys a favor by sleeping with them. If she were ugly everyone would be calling for her to rot in jail.
EXACTLY!!!!!

Her husband is pretty cute (and age appropriate too), she's a nutjob.

cololi

Cyburbian
Seabishop said:
I just think everyone would make fun of the kid. :-D

Duke Of Dystopia said:
Yeah, but I bet thats what would make her so fun in the sack!

The whak jobs are ALWAYS more fun! :-D
Yeah... until the police show up.... Or you get the doctor's report informing you that you have AIDS.... Or she turns up pregnant and doesn't know who the daddy is... Or her fiancee shows up at your house with a shotgun....

What Fun! :-c :-#

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Michele Zone said:
Yeah... until the police show up.... Or you get the doctor's report informing you that you have AIDS.... Or she turns up pregnant and doesn't know who the daddy is... Or her fiancee shows up at your house with a shotgun....

What Fun! :-c :-#
Thats part of the charm, you just never know what to expect around the corner so life stays interesting! :-D

Duke Of Dystopia said:
Of that I have not doubt, but having a boring life is not one of them! :-D
Well, while I was out doing laundry (fitting, somehow), it occured to me: aren't you the same guy who was saying (in another thread) how terrible it would be to get involved with a bisexual scandinavian and come home to see her in bed with your wife?

If so:
A) me thinks thou art a hypocrit
and B) me thinks thou art merely taking pleasure in jerking people's chains :-D :p

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Michele Zone said:
Well, while I was out doing laundry (fitting, somehow), it occured to me: aren't you the same guy who was saying (in another thread) how terrible it would be to get involved with a bisexual scandinavian and come home to see her in bed with your wife?

If so:
A) me thinks thou art a hypocrit
and B) me thinks thou art merely taking pleasure in jerking people's chains :-D :p
Nope, no hypocrisy. In my distant memory, I remember this happening to somebody I know. They had the normal male attraction to lesbian sex but they were not so thrilled with the result in reality. Classic case of watching what you should wish for! :)

Personally, I think it matters more on weather you are planning on keeping the girlfriend/wife, or if they are just playthings. If they are time killers, by all means, let the Roman festivities commence! :d:

Not a good idea in a long term serious relationship! 8-!

Duke Of Dystopia said:
Nope, no hypocrisy. In my distant memory, I remember this happening to somebody I know. They had the normal male attraction to lesbian sex but they were not so thrilled with the result in reality. Classic case of watching what you should wish for! :)

Personally, I think it matters more on weather you are planning on keeping the girlfriend/wife, or if they are just playthings. If they are time killers, by all means, let the Roman festivities commence! :d:

Not a good idea in a long term serious relationship! 8-!
I also know/knew someone that came home to the wife in bed with a gal. The gal moved in and they had a threesome for like 5 years.

I think it depends a lot on the folks involved. But, generally speaking, no, such things are not a good idea. Research shows that such habits tend to destroy relationships.

God, we have gotten waaaay off topic, I think. :-}

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Michele Zone said:
I also know/knew someone that came home to the wife in bed with a gal. The gal moved in and they had a threesome for like 5 years.
I remember those years so fondly...

Doitnow

Cyburbian
Duke Of Dystopia said:
Thats part of the charm, you just never know what to expect around the corner so life stays interesting! :-D
Theres no fun after the fun is over. And then again you want to have more after a gap. It keeps happening again and again. But hey! , IF the fun leads you into jail and I'm sure you will find better ways to have it. :)

No offence you see( post not directed to you but to what you wrote into it), am just observing and reflecting :-}

ANd to look at it seriously:
1.The teacher may have enjoyed it.
2. The 14 year old may think that he enjoyed it but only time will tell.
3. Its very rare to find female rapists( if she was that) thats what makes this story different). Maybe such incidents are never reported. Adn that brings me to my last question. I think I missed " How this story got out" and who complained. There msut be more to it?? B-)

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Doitnow!! said:
Theres no fun after the fun is over. And then again you want to have more after a gap. It keeps happening again and again. But hey! , IF the fun leads you into jail and I'm sure you will find better ways to have it. :)

No offence you see( post not directed to you but to what you wrote into it), am just observing and reflecting :-}

ANd to look at it seriously:
1.The teacher may have enjoyed it.
2. The 14 year old may think that he enjoyed it but only time will tell.
3. Its very rare to find female rapists( if she was that) thats what makes this story different). Maybe such incidents are never reported. Adn that brings me to my last question. I think I missed " How this story got out" and who complained. There msut be more to it?? B-)
1) I am sure she enjoyed it.
2) Studies show that early sexual relations with women enhance male status and bequeth onto said male power postions within thier pere groups (oposite of women).
3) The boys were talking, of course its going to leak out. Boys that age aren't going to stay quite. The urge to say "Guess who I banged yesterday" is just to good to pass up.

No offense taken, I do know that I won't do anything that lands me in jail. Maybe a misdemeanor or a fine...... :d:

bmoore81

Michele Zone said:
1) Certainly, with a large age difference, there is much potential for subtle manipulation to occur. (And children below a certain age are not capable of fending off someone's expression of interest. The inability to say 'no' means that 'yes' is meaningless: no real consent can occur.) But equally certainly, many relationship with a large age difference are initiated by the younger party. In the last year or so, I have had guys as young as 19 hit on me. (I have no idea what is up with that. If anyone can explain it, I would love to hear it.)
Im in a long term relationship with a woman 20 years my senior and a different race... I dunno, I never met ANYONE my age who interested me (conversationally, could handle being wacky or strange, was interested in a variety of things, self possesed, etc.), and it also is not a mother complex, although it is probably connected to how my mother behaves. She acts very immature, self centered, and "younger" than she is... she often asks me for advice |-) My GF-> wife is quite mature, as am I, however I did not "hit" on here when we met, it was through mutual friends and it was practically love at first site.... who knew :-D

junkoplenty said:
Im in a long term relationship with a woman 20 years my senior
<SNIP>

it was practically love at first site.... who knew :-D
Well, I do not know your age or other important details (which is not to say I would question your judgment, :) ). I do think that past a certain age, it matters a whole lot less. When I say "with a large age difference", I am partly thinking of the kind of situation that started this thread: a teenager or very young adult with someone substantially older. If you were definitely an adult when you met the lady, age difference would matter a lot less in the context of the private interactions. And age alone does not determine whether or not you are "an adult".

I, personally, have a long history of having a lot of close friends who are older than I am. Many of my friends are between 6 and 17 years older than me. It just so happens that my father was 40 when I was born and my mother was 28. I am younger than my two siblings by 4 1/2 and 6 1/2 years. And when I talk to my friends, it turns out that one or both of their parents are similar in age to one or both or my parents. People my age usually have parents younger than mine and I often cannot relate to the values they live by.

I actually married a man who is a few days younger than I am and we graduated high school together. I like to think that "age" does not really matter to me, that what matters is the personal connection you make. You have to follow your gut and check to see if you feel like something is off kilter or not. My sister is married to a man 5 years younger and they rarely mention it. People "forget" that she married a younger man. A few years back, a friend of hers was married to a younger man and she made a big deal out of it every chance she could. You got the impression he was a "trophy" husband or something. They are now divorced. If the age difference is a Big Deal, I think that is a problem. If it is not, it is just a detail.

I think the telling clue in the article is the comment that the 23 year old teacher wanted him BECAUSE he was "forbidden". She was not attracted to HIM, she was attracted to doing something "bad", breaking the rules -- and the consequences be damned. This was not a case of "star struck lovers" and "society is getting in the way of True Love". She is dangerous becuase of the motives behind her actions. Additionally, a 15 year old cannot have a driver's license. They couldn't have PARKED somewhere to do it in the SUV?? She is hooked on danger and "being bad". Someone like that should not be in charge of kids at school. She chose the wrong profession -- unless, like so many child molester's, she chose it to put her in close proximity with her "drug of choice", so to speak.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Michele Zone said:
Well, I do not know your age or other important details (which is not to say I would question your judgment, :) ). I do think that past a certain age, it matters a whole lot less. When I say "with a large age difference", I am partly thinking of the kind of situation that started this thread: a teenager or very young adult with someone substantially older. If you were definitely an adult when you met the lady, age difference would matter a lot less in the context of the private interactions. And age alone does not determine whether or not you are "an adult".

I, personally, have a long history of having a lot of close friends who are older than I am. Many of my friends are between 6 and 17 years older than me. It just so happens that my father was 40 when I was born and my mother was 28. I am younger than my two siblings by 4 1/2 and 6 1/2 years. And when I talk to my friends, it turns out that one or both of their parents are similar in age to one or both or my parents. People my age usually have parents younger than mine and I often cannot relate to the values they live by.

I actually married a man who is a few days younger than I am and we graduated high school together. I like to think that "age" does not really matter to me, that what matters is the personal connection you make. You have to follow your gut and check to see if you feel like something is off kilter or not. My sister is married to a man 5 years younger and they rarely mention it. People "forget" that she married a younger man. A few years back, a friend of hers was married to a younger man and she made a big deal out of it every chance she could. You got the impression he was a "trophy" husband or something. They are now divorced. If the age difference is a Big Deal, I think that is a problem. If it is not, it is just a detail.

I think the telling clue in the article is the comment that the 23 year old teacher wanted him BECAUSE he was "forbidden". She was not attracted to HIM, she was attracted to doing something "bad", breaking the rules -- and the consequences be damned. This was not a case of "star struck lovers" and "society is getting in the way of True Love". She is dangerous becuase of the motives behind her actions. Additionally, a 15 year old cannot have a driver's license. They couldn't have PARKED somewhere to do it in the SUV?? She is hooked on danger and "being bad". Someone like that should not be in charge of kids at school. She chose the wrong profession -- unless, like so many child molester's, she chose it to put her in close proximity with her "drug of choice", so to speak.
I usually don’t agree with MZ, but I will agree with the fact that this woman had sex with this boy because it was ‘verboten.’ She probably felt unloved, or at least unappreciated, in her marriage. And who is going to fill her heart?,,, A man (boy) who doesn’t question her desires or motives. I get the feeling that she wanted a relationship where she was the one in control. And being a married man, I can say that her husband was not giving her the ’love’ (both figurative and literal) that she needed. All in all it’s a sad situation.

Last edited:
biscuit said:
I usually don’t agree with MZ, but I will agree with the fact that this woman had sex with this boy because it was ‘verboten’ She probably felt unloved, or at least unappreciated, in her marriage. And who is going to fill her heart?,,, A man (boy) who doesn’t question her desires or motives. I get the feeling that she wanted a relationship where she was the one in control. And being a married man, I can say that her husband was not giving her the ’love’ (both figurative and literal) that she needed. All in all it’s a sad situation.
Funny, I don't recall particularly arguing with you. :)

The thing that your comments remind me of is the fact that drug dealers often prefer really young girls -- 14 or YOUNGER. Now, the interesting thing is this: As a parent of two teenaged boys (14 and 17 years old) and homeschooling mom and someone who took intro to psych and got the overview of brain development, I know that the human brain is not physically capable of adult judgment and responsibility until the age of 12. And then it takes a year or two of practicing this new-found ability for them to begin really thinking and acting in anything resembling an adult fashion. I think it is not mere coincidence that many traditional cultures have rites of manhood at age 13 or 14 (such as Bar Mitzvah, as I understand it -- I am not Jewish, forgive me if I am butchering what Bar Mitzvah is, :) ).

Anyway, a 14 year old may or may not be capable of really deciding something like this for themselves. But 14 is the earliest point at which I would give any credence to the idea that the minor had any real say in the matter. Some 14 year olds really do know what they want and have the strength of personality to deal with a young adult as an equal (especially if the 14 year old is unusually intelligent). But others of that age are still just kids, especially if their parents have not done the best job raising them or they aren't really all that well educated. Because adult thought processes have this peculiarity: they have TWO prerequisites, the first being a healthy brain of more than 12 years of age. The second is some form of advanced education. If a person is not adequately educated, they never do develop the higher forms of logic that distinguish responsible, informed decision-making from the childish "I want it" kind of decision-making (the kind that seems to have driven the teacher).

So, in my opinion, sex with a 14 year old is iffy and requires a careful judgment call as to whether he really "consented" in the manner in which "consent" is legally (and morally) defined. Anyone younger than that -- well, the person is flat out a child molester, no other explanation. And people who do it with kids are people incapable of coping with other adults. They feel powerless and they seek comfort and pleasure from someone who cannot say "no" or require anything of them. She could have done MANY 'verboten' things to get her kicks that did not involve a minor FROM HER SCHOOL. That is the second thing that makes me think this is one sick puppy: regardless of whether he was in her class or not, she is an authority figure with a moral obligation (etc) and in a position of social and psychological power over him.

In the military, if an officer has sex with the wife of a lower ranking individual in his unit, the legal assumption is that she was "raped" because of the enormous power that this officer has over her husband's life and career and thus over her. She is presumed to be incapable of saying "no" and, thus, incapable of genuinely giving consent -- and her testimony is irrellevant and it matters not what she might say about the situation. She can protest that it is "true love", etc -- it is assumed that she is still being pressured by the officer in question and her testimony is meaningless and basically "inadmissable". The teacher in the article did not have to apply any kind of obvious pressure. She has so much power over a student at her school that I believe this case should also be handled with a presumption that the boy was simply unable to say "no".

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Rumpy Tunanator said:
I'll throw this wrench into the equation.............................. what's the big deal?
In our society, teenagers do not have sex. They wait until they are 21, graduate college, get married, and then copulate only for the purpose of procreation. ;)