• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

why should I support Kerry?

boiker

Cyburbian
taken from http://www.johnkerry.com/issues/energy/

Promoting Smart Growth and Livable Communities

John Kerry recognizes that local communities are struggling with how to address issues of traffic congestion and sprawl. A Kerry Administration will work with states and communities to ensure they have the tools and resources they need to tackle these difficult problems. Kerry will ensure that we have “Clean and Green Communities” throughout America by coordinating federal transportation policies, federal housing incentives, federal employment opportunities and the use of federal dollars to acquire parks and open space.
Did I miss something? Where's the smart growth?

Aquiring parks and open space does nothing to reduce the overall sprawl problems or traffic congestion. I'm a Dean supporter and trying to justify why I can feel fine voting Kerry, and not just "not-Bush".

Granted, this is only one issue, but it struck me as an empty claim.

Last edited:

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Why?

Because, as Dan noted in another thread, Kerry looks like a Kerry Blue Terrier! :p ;-)

Seriously though, I know little about any candidate right now. I bad citizen.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
If he were to actually follow through on what he promises, I would be very happy. Here it is again:

"...coordinating federal transportation policies, federal housing incentives, federal employment opportunities and the use of federal dollars to acquire parks and open space."

As I interpret that, coordinating housing, transportation, and jobs means that we will be investing in placing jobs and housing in proximity, with transportation (transit) to link them. Acquiring parks and green space is a related element in preserving land from development.

Although I support Kerry, I doubt that any president really has the vision or the political will to undertake a truly comprehensive approach to federal programs. If it ever happened, it would be a miracle.

mendelman said:
Seriously though, I know little about any candidate right now. I bad citizen.
[over the top]Candidates? What candidates? What are they running for?[/over the top]

BKM

Cyburbian
How can any planner oppose a president who wants "Clean and Green Communities"? :) I love buzzwords.

jordanb

Cyburbian
Why should you support Kerry?

To help the Democratic Party along through its continuing self-destruction, of course!

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
"This is just business as usual in Washington," said Larry Noble, the former chief lawyer for the Federal Election Commission who now heads the nonpartisan Center for Responsive Politics.
They're all crooks, thats why we need a good third party canidate, like this guy....

biscuit

Cyburbian
Rumpy Tunanator said:
They're all crooks, thats why we need a good third party canidate, like this guy....
Rumpy:
Are you going to be spearheading the Richard Dean Anderson in '04 write in campaign?

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
biscuit said:
Rumpy:
Are you going to be spearheading the Richard Dean Anderson in '04 write in campaign?
-Anybody that can fix something with a rubberband, chewing gum, shoelaces, a lighter and some old newspaper, while stopping a bomb from going off at the last second, surely could turn this country's ship around.

Richard Dean Anderson "04!!!

Now if we can just sweep that past heroin problem, under the carpet....

oulevin

Cyburbian
Old Mac

Yes, he's got the looks, the name, the decency, the ingenuity, and same befuddled "can do"-ism of another president I know...Harrison Ford.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Rumpy Tunanator said:
Now if we can just sweep that past heroin problem, under the carpet....
We’ve put adulterers, alcoholics and even a former cokehead in office; a smack-addicted washed up television actor should have no problem getting elected.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Why???

You shouldn't... He has more sides on issues than all of congress put togeather.

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
boiker said:
Did I miss something? Where's the smart growth?
i don't think that a national policy is the solution but rather giving states and local regions the tools and funding to get working is the first step. smart growth should not be prescriptive or regulated by the feds...but encourage locals to develop thier own strategy.

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
oh and b/c democrats like planning for social well being...that means more planning jobs!