• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

    Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Why Texas doesn't want you to go to hell (& wants to stop the kitten killing)

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Messages
4,473
Points
25
Last edited:

Habanero

Cyburbian
Messages
3,241
Points
27
``Her gift for Valentines? Stop looking at pron,'' proclaim billboards put up by NetAccountability, a nonprofit software company that aims to help Christians confront the ``secret sin'' of pornography.

what if she likes looking too- does that mean she should stop or should her gift then be to start looking with her?
 

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
18,601
Points
69
Almost 18 percent of people who called themselves born-again Christians admitted visiting Internet porn sites, according to a 2000 survey of 1,031 adults by the evangelical group Focus on the Family. In a 2002 Pastors.com survey, more than 50 percent of responding pastors reported viewing pornography in the previous year.
What they don't tell you is that, considering the standards of Texas fundies and born-again Christians, MTV, the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition, and the hiphugger pages of the JC Penny catalog are considered "porn." The Super Bowl halftime show would probably have been considered porn by the bighairs in Plano and Richardson.

Internet porn sites? Newbies. Usenet is the way to go for the good stuff, and it's free.
 

freewaytincan

Cyburbian
Messages
125
Points
6
Dan said:
What they don't tell you is that, considering the standards of Texas fundies and born-again Christians, MTV, the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition, and the hiphugger pages of the JC Penny catalog are considered "porn."
This started out somewhat funny, though I was a little concerned, since Texas is often made fun of. And at first, I found this thread mildly humorous, even though I'm a native Texan and did have severe problems with porn, which is addictive, for a number of years. I read the comments above and thought, well, the SI Swimsuit Edition is soft porn, as far as I'm concerned, and so is MTV, but the JC Penny catalog? Now this is just turning into mudslinging. What's wrong with being prude? What's wrong with being a Christian and practicing those values? I subscribe to such beliefs, thank you, and I don't appreciate these kinds of veiled attacks.

That is, of course, when I saw the below comment:

Dan said:
The Super Bowl halftime show would probably have been considered porn by the bighairs in Plano and Richardson.
Now it's gone too far. That comment really, really pissed me off. It takes an awful lot to get me that angry. I know I'm not being over-reactionary, either; I have live in Richardson for all but the first six months of my life...that's over seventeen years of living in this exceptional city. Way to go, man. You just insulted my hometown, which, I should add, is superior to almost all of the suburban cities and towns in Texas. Of course, you didn't even consider the fact that JC Penney is based in Plano!
 
Last edited:

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
5,439
Points
34
freewaytincan said:
What's wrong with being prude? What's wrong with being a Christian and practicing those values? I subscribe to such beliefs, thank you, and I don't appreciate these kinds of veiled attacks.
There is nothing wrong with those things. What is wrong is the state of Texas legislating what consenting adults do in the privacy of their homes. This wasn't porn, it was a party by invitation. There are big problems with a law when you can sell a vibrator for novelty use, but to sell the same vibrator to enhance your love live is a crime.
 

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
Messages
1,433
Points
25
freewaytincan said:
Way to go, man. You just insulted my hometown, which, I should add, is superior to almost all of the suburban cities and towns in Texas.
where's the love? i mean it's valentine's day eve!

and my hometown of albany is regulalry slammed on TV sitcoms but i don't complain. i'm sure austin texans slam albany daily. c'est la vie. and superior and suburban is an oxymoron when used in conjnction with one another, inn'it?

I <3 Pron!
 

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Messages
4,473
Points
25
Insert humor here ________. Insults, I'm in the city that is at the blunt end of jokes constantly. Take it in stride man, for one places flaw, there are many for other places. If we had these billboards here..... he heh ehe hheehh
 

Habanero

Cyburbian
Messages
3,241
Points
27
GeogPlanner said:
where's the love? i mean it's valentine's day eve!

and my hometown of albany is regulalry slammed on TV sitcoms but i don't complain. i'm sure austin texans slam albany daily. c'est la vie. and superior and suburban is an oxymoron when used in conjnction with one another, inn'it?

I <3 Pron!
That's because people from Austin Texas are superior to every other human. :p I'm native and I think Dan's comments were right on, I hated growing up in the Noth Dallas area just because of the churchy la femmes. I couldn't even live there for more than a year when I tried to move back because the hypocrisy was so overwhelming.
 
Top