• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Why the airline industry (and govt.) are going to hell

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
It seems as if it's becomming more and more of a hassle to fly nowadays. I wonder if people will start traveling via highway again to avoid all of this hoopla at the airports?

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Increased security? Sounds OK to me. Its what we all wanted. I don't see it as a civil rights violation, unless I'm missing something.

I was hoping the Acela would be more convenient for east coast travel, but its just about as expensive as flying.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Dew the Dew

Think of how exciting a flight full of "reds" to the Middle East would be!

Extreme Passengership - On the Delta Haj Express!

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Here's the question I've been wondering about. Once they do a background check on you, are they going to put different colored stickers on passengers (like the threat level) so you know what risk level they are rated at?

El Feo

Cyburbian
ludes98 said:
Volunteer personal information to the gov't? Hmm let me think, no. I'll wait thanks.

Have a SSN? Register for Selective Service? Pay taxes? Have any student loans? Ever get a passport? Own a car? Have a driver's license?

ludes98

Cyburbian
El Feo said:
Have a SSN? Register for Selective Service? Pay taxes? Have any student loans? Ever get a passport? Own a car? Have a driver's license?

Exactly!! So why do they need more?

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
They already do profiling, so I dont see the issue. I dont have anything to hide (I think). If it works at keeping the industry safe, I'm all for it.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Chet said:
They already do profiling, so I dont see the issue. I dont have anything to hide (I think).

-Profiling an 80 year old woman is ridiculous. I've been pulled aside before at the airport and twice before boarding the plane (for no reason), but at the same time I've seen people they shouldn't be searching. What is granny going to do, put some antacid in a seagull and use it as a bomb?

-From the "Sam Adam's Act" (patriot) to this, it seems like 1984 and "Big Brother" are becoming more of a reality. And this is from the same govt. that let the INS off the hook when the visas of students expired and didn't bother looking for them. Some of those students turned out to be terrorists.

-I have nothing to hide here either (yet), but when you start treating the US citizens like the enemy, I think it shows what direction this country is going in.....

Jeff

Cyburbian
I just flew during Code Orange, not much of a hassle. Not much security though either.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Rumpy Tunanator said:
Here's the question I've been wondering about. Once they do a background check on you, are they going to put different colored stickers on passengers (like the threat level) so you know what risk level they are rated at?

It will be tattoo'd on your forehead. "Mark of the beast", anyone?

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Mastiff said:
It will be tattoo'd on your forehead. "Mark of the beast", anyone?

just the same, but high tech, would be an implanted mirco-chip,
just like they use to track animals.

EDIT - anybody read the Left Behind series, that's where I got this idea.

Last edited: